Fugazi
End Hits

by Brahmin Sclorosis USER (13 Reviews)
July 16th, 2008 | 163 replies | 18,564 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: End Hits is certainly a distinctive record in the band’s discography and one of the band’s best albums.

Printed in bold and noticeable graphics, with a dingy and dirty disposition, boldly printed in the liner notes of Fugazi’s End Hits are the words Committed to excellence. Whether this is an ironic stab at some sort of corporate conglomerate’s company slogan or whether it’s a representation of Fugazi’s own motto and quality standard, it doesn’t quite really weigh on whichever is right in this case; Fugazi has been committed to excellence ever since the group formed in the wake of the American hardcore scene’s dissipation. End Hits' hallmark and distinctive legacy in the Fugazi discography is its certain ambivalent and polarizing effect on its fan base and critics (who it seems were one and the same). As the story goes, some loved End Hits to no end and hailed it as one of the group’s greatest records and some feigned themselves to the record’s existence within the Fugazi catalogue.

I’d like to assume that Ian Mackaye and Guy Piccioto haven’t been swaggering solemnly in well-defined and clean tuxedo’s, strutting the streets of Washington D.C. in the city nightscape circa 1998, making it known that they were committed to excellence, but you may just assume Fugazi’s approach to writing their music has reflected into their lifestyle, after hearing a glimpse of End Hits as it emerges from your speakers. Immediately it is easy to grasp that End Hits is easily Fugazi’s most experimental record, with any notion of linearity thrown out of the band’s high-rise apartment. Perhaps identical to the one overlooking this beautiful and sleek city view adorned on the album cover? Brendan Canty’s immediate rat-a-tat-tat pulses the attention of the listener in the rhythmically and excellent opener “Break” as Joe Lally increases the tension with his melodic bass line, seeing the band anticipate it’s release and then presents itself through Piccioto’s strangely catchy but abrupt sing-along; suddenly leading to Mackaye’s eminent yelp. Fugazi lays down the blueprint for this record from the get-go – although describing this as a 'blueprint' would be optimistic at best.
Try a treasure map. Looking for a definite direction to End Hits is
akin to a swashbuckling pirate’s journey into the open sea for a treasure map that has been violently torn into pieces, leaving the lonely pirate left to piece together the missing messages and to connect together the directions. In this respect, End Hits is a tapestry that has been stitched together in a strange arrangement, separated in fragments and sonic directions. This leaves the tapestry to be a ridiculous and sloppy piece of cloth that has a strange allure to it that makes the end product incredibly enthralling and memorable.

I may have painted the picture of End Hits as lacking any sense of cohesion, and if I have, forgive me. Standout tracks like the frantic “Caustic Acrostic” crams many different ideas and elements of Fugazi’s sound and blends it together seamlessly with a strong sense of song-writing, making it one of the best songs on the record. The rhythmic importance that Fugazi has so feverishly strived to perfect is heightened even further with both Joe Lally and Canty’s methodic rhythms, seen quite heavily in the album highlight “Recap Modotti”. It definitively encompasses the quiet and low-brow atmosphere of the whole album. The intensity of the band's instrumentation is restrained and controlled; the intensity and volume of the track is set behind the backdrop of a walking-bass line, and for that it is the easily the record’s best track. “Floating Boy” showcases the seamless integration of Piccioto and Mackaye’s interesting guitar interplay behind (again) the backdrop of a jazzy bass line, all before falling apart with Piccioto whispering lullabies about sailing out on the ocean. Wait. Perhaps the foreseen prediction I made may have some merit after all! Jokes aside, “Pink Frosty” is easily the most demonic and strangely settling song the band has ever recorded, creating a bleak atmosphere and a hymn that can easily be your child’s lullaby of choice.

On the other side of the sea, the band chooses to maintain their reputation as a band willing to strike a message down into the hearts of the listener, and the linear “Closed Captioned” exhibits Mackaye’s intense vitriol with lyrics like “The direction we just want we don't know/This one wants the art this one wants the politics/ Everybody wants their own damn station”, reflecting on the murderous ways of the music industry. In addition to this, it is also one of the more definite and cohesive songs on the record, dipping its toes in the regular song-writing of Fugazi’s blueprint. “Place Position” and “Guilford Fall” also demonstrate the brilliance and virtuosity of Fugazi’s song-writing, the latter heading into disparate directions before returning into a raucous guitar line that is the closest Fugazi will ever get to arena-rock.

And as Guy Piccioto and Ian Mackaye croon at the top of their lungs, yelling yawn-yawn-yawn! – which is slightly ironic in itself – End Hits demonstrates a side of Fugazi that fans would only get a glimpse of. A sound shattered and disjointed, with arrangements sounding like they’re on the brink of collapse, in a way that is entirely exciting and invigorating. And even though you won’t see Guy Piccioto, Brendan Canty, Joe Lally, and Ian Mackaye swagger solemnly through the tough streets of Washington D.C., or catch a glimpse of them with a sailor’s pipe and an open sea; End Hits is certainly a distinctive record in the band’s discography and one of the band’s best albums.

Matthew Good VancouverMark Hollis Mark Hollis
Tim Hecker Harmony in UltravioletLITE Phantasia
Built To Spill Ultimate Alternative WaversAmusement Parks On Fire Amusement Parks On Fire
Well_Respected_Man (5)

raggedragamuffin
July 16th 2008

good review for a good band.
This Message Edited On 07.16.08

woo 40 reviews

JumpTheF**kUp
July 16th 2008

This isn't as good as some of your later reviews but still okay all the same.

July 16th 2008

so yeah this was pretty disjointed (just like the album), so after a few edits it should read a lot better now.

Zebra
July 16th 2008

this is a great listen. I still can't decide if I like it more then "Red Medicine."

ilikemusicthatsucks
July 16th 2008

This is my favorite Fugazi. "Caustic Acrostic" is my favorite.

DaveyBoy

20800 Comments

"Looking for a definite direction to End Hits is akin to a swashbuckling pirate’s journey into the open sea for a treasure map that has been violently torn into pieces, leaving the lonely pirate left to piece together the missing messages and to connect together the directions".

Great line. Maybe too great, as my mind started to (pardon the pun) float for the remainder of the review. It got the point across well though.

descendents1
July 16th 2008

i like the first paragraph for some reason, i can't put my finger on it

the continuity of the review is really strained, but it's a good defense for your opinion

pospos poss

July 16th 2008

what do you mean by the continuity of the review? the clarity of the different ideas and how they were stitched together?

ilikemusicthatsucks
July 16th 2008

I agree with DaveyBoy but I lean toward "too great." Lines like that would be fit for a philosophical discussion, but this is just a review of a rock album. Either way you write very well, and considering you have contrib status you should probably just ignore my opinion lol. But nonetheless great review.

descendents1
July 18th 2008

How they fit together. It's just not that fluid. I recommend writing your thoughts out, and then come up with connections between the ideas to improve your writing style.
The clarity of different ideas isn't an issue here as far as I'm concerned.

July 18th 2008

Really, I should have given this review a bit more time to flesh out a bit more and make it more cohesive. If you take a look at my other recent reviews like my last Hammock review the difference is there and visible.

I'm still fairly happy with this review all the same.This Message Edited On 07.18.08This Message Edited On 07.18.08

Boognish
February 16th 2009

Another great album from these guys. Everything they did was top class.

April 9th 2010

yeah this is v v good

Arpeggiator rules

April 29th 2010

i'm pretty big on recap modotti myself

Digging: Symptom - Caverns Of Katabasis

yeah that bassline

April 29th 2010

da nah nah, bum bum, da na na na na na nah bum bum

did you get that?

April 29th 2010

can only be the timeless intro to Livin' on a Prayer

April 29th 2010

damnit porch owns me in typed name that tune every time