October Falls
Marras

by Justus USER (33 Reviews)
July 13th, 2008 | 17 replies | 8,136 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An excellent debut, Marras solidifies October Falls as a band worth seeking more of.

Marras. An album stripped down to a bare minimum of an acoustic guitar with piano and flute appearances. Folk music with a small, articulate amount of music. No vocals, bass, or percussion from the bands’ only member, Mikko Lehto. Yet he doesn’t need them to create an album with atmosphere and depth on his first long-playing record, Marras.

With eight tracks and over thirty minutes of music, the album certainly has flow, rarely growing boring. However, it will take a few ganders to actually feel, to actually get. It has a tendency to grow after a few listens, with the first few implying that Marras is boring. But with repeated listens, if the listener has not already caught on, Lehto’s first effort will begin to reveal itself as an album that moves quickly (at least after the first song, Marras I). The album also reveals that Mikko is upright impressive; progressions in songs, songwriting ability, and just playing are altogether executed excellently.

October Falls’ debut does not come without flaws though. There is just major one, that being the first track. Marras I is well over-done, stretching over the six-minute mark, and holds its title as the longest song on the album. The length is not what concerns me, but rather the fact that it’s the same three-minute song played twice with a nice piano/soundscape outro. This cannot work with the rest of the album being just as stripped down, and also weakens a listener’s expectations. It is also, as mentioned, a slow starter to an album that’s better. While Marras I is beautiful, and just as amazing as the rest of the album, it can put you to sleep before you hear the rest of it.

The rest of the album is, without a doubt, a soothing and concise album. Soothing because a haunting, far away atmosphere take you to another place, beautifully significant and warm, depressive and cold at the same time. Concise because it has little range of instruments, yet has a powerful effect. Marras is definitely an album worth looking into for any music fan, because with mellow neofolk like this, no one can afford to miss it.

Aerosols AerosolsDiscordance Axis Jouhou
Wood And Wires Wood And WiresDiscordance Axis The Inalienable Dreamless
Blackwater Park Dirt BoxWurdulak Severed Eyes Of Possession

July 13th 2008

I love what i've heard from this band but can't find their stuff. Nice review, maybe i'll get the lone ep from amazon.

Thanks Balls. If you want some stuff, heres a website
Pretty cheap too, if I might say

fireaboveicebelow
July 13th 2008

sounds like if nest was stripped down, cool review

Ominous Inane
July 14th 2008

Not really, just different. His new black metal full length is really good, I highly suggest it. The drummer from Moonsorrow plays on it as well which is cool.

Zoo
July 14th 2008

October Falls is far and away above Nest.

July 14th 2008

Never heard of Nest, but thanks for the feedback guys :thumb:

Pebster49
July 14th 2008

Excellent review, love this band.

Marras

November 10th 2008

Anybody know where I can acquire this? Or can somebody hook me up with it via IM or email? I really really want to hear it but I think that physical copies of it no longer exist.

November 10th 2008

Sweet, I have the new album. Accoustic interludes and black metal galore. I love the folky riffs so far.

November 11th 2008

This album and ZooYorker are both awesome.

November 11th 2008

The new album I think is the best this guy ahs done. I havent heard the "Streams" EP because I can't find a link.

November 11th 2008

I'll get that one when I feel like actual black metal. For now, I'm loving the glacial and moody beauty of this stuff.

November 12th 2008

Album rules, listening now for the first time in a long time.

Zoo
November 12th 2008

This, El Cielo, and Lunatic Soul's self-titled are my most favorite chill albums of all time.

MO
September 22nd 2011

This is so good. Really diggin`it right now.

Digging: Immolation - Dawn of Possession

JamieTwort
January 9th 2013

19969 Comments

This rules. With a few more listens this will probably be up there with Forlatt and Vergessene Pfade as one of my favourite neo/dark folk albums.