All the Empires of the World

by John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF
July 9th, 2008 | 84 replies | 13,898 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 21:36 of pure adrenaline

It begins with nothing but a light sprinkling of atmospheric noises and sounds, interspersed with random notes and clicks. It goes on like that for a while, slowly building momentum and creating just the tiniest bit of tension and suspense. The first five minutes, you are expecting a Brian Eno song almost, light in its delivery as it may be. Then, after a few innocuous snare hits, you are hit with a thunderous and heavy as hell guitar riff. It hits you out of nowhere, assaulting you from every which way. The song has all of the sudden turned into some sort of dissonant sludge metal guitar fest. Then, as quickly as it started, it all goes away, and we are brought back to the quite calm that we had grown accustomed to at the beginning.

All this in the first third of the song.

All the Empires of the World …Will be Laid to Waste is the first true recording they have made, they being All the Empires of the World and the recording being …Will be Laid to Waste. A mix of post rock, slight electronica and a big dose of sludge metal, All the Empires of the World recorded this EP (which contains only a self titled track) within a few months of their inception, and the result for such a short amount of time is astounding. While the one song, clocking in at an astounding 21 minutes and 36 seconds, does tend to drone on for too long a period at a time, the fusion of all the separate parts is top notch.

The song doesn’t vary itself too much in the traditional sense. Its made up of soft, ambient electronic passages, heavy sludge face rips, and then dissonant post rock/metal sections reminiscent of Neurosis or Pelican. You wont find much outside of this, but within all that the members of the band show off their immense talent, particularly in the area of drumming. The songs 22 minutes don’t fly by, but you aren’t left trying to pick out what they should have left out either, just appreciating the good things you just heard.

There isn’t much else to say about …Will be Laid to Waste. It’s a relatively short record (or relatively long song, depending on how you view things). I could discuss the jam near the end of the first heavy part, but that would only spoil the record for you by going into specifics. If you are a fan of long, drawn out post rock numbers and can appreciate some heavyness in your fairy music, you’ll dig the hell out of this. If you love droning sludgey tunes but can deal with some build up and anticipation for your bro-tunes, you’ll love this EP. If not, I’m still going to recommend it, because its one of the most promising songs from the first half of 2008.

Washboard Leo Thomas Louisiana BluegrassCrusades Perhaps You Deliver This Judgement...
Against Me! Transgender Dysphoria BluesLos Campesinos! No Blues
Arcade Fire ReflektorTouche Amore Is Survived By

July 10th 2008

Fucking album art man jesus christ.

everyone can download this song here, the band put it up for listenings!

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

sounds good

July 10th 2008

this album has more power than you realize

SHOOTME

Nuh Uh

July 10th 2008

No really I gave you guys a download link
listen to it!

wow im about 8 mins in
and this is really good
a lot better than i thought it was going to be

JumpTheF**kUp
July 10th 2008

I downloaded it just because it was free but I doubt I will like it, will listen later.

rasputin
July 10th 2008

Your review convinced me, I shall have a listen

July 10th 2008

i really enjoyed it, ill have to take a listen a few more times but it is a daunting task to listen to the whole thing in one sitting i will say

Acre
July 10th 2008

As a black man in today's modern society, I find the use of the word "adrenaline" horribly offensive. Wal-Mart will not carry this review anymore.

July 10th 2008

glad i got everyone into this

chickenfish

^Cookie?

Fort23
July 10th 2008

Sounds pretty intersting im downloading now.

Refl
July 10th 2008

Ok, i'm the drummer on this EP.

: D

Thanks for the positive feedback!

P13

downloaded, and listening now

P13
July 10th 2008

Well it was refreshing, didn't really like it though. Never been able to stand sludge
metal or any sludge riffs. But the structure of heavy to soft is pretty good. I love the
drone of the bass at the end though.This Message Edited On 07.10.08

Intransit
July 10th 2008

I like it quite a bit actually. The best part is when the sludge riffs shift into major keys and then back into ambience.

FlawedPerfection

This is ok.

July 10th 2008

I admittedly did rate this in the context of it being a song, not as an EP.
It is a 3.5ish if compared to other EPs being dropped this year.

Refl
July 10th 2008

Yeah that's still incredible though, we're just surprised anyone listened to it at all.