My Chemical Romance
I Brought You My Bullets...

2.0
poor

by Davey Boy STAFF
July 1st, 2008 | 100 replies | 26,459 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Poor production, lack of refinement & inconsistent vocals make it difficult to hear the ambition & potential contained deep within.

When a movie is badly directed or edited, it stands out like a sore thumb and the movie is usually nothing more than passable. Occasionally, directors will even go so far as to instigate legal proceedings to have their name removed from the picture. That kind of thing doesn’t usually occur in the world of music, arguably because there are less people involved in the creative process and the criticism usually falls on the artist themselves for the most part.

My Chemical Romance’s debut album ‘I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love’ is one album where court proceedings may in fact be necessary to figure out what anyone was thinking with regards to most of the track-list. I am almost certain it would turn into a blaming game between co-producers Alex Saavedra & (lead singer of Thursday) Geoff Rickly, as well as the band themselves. The album is so poorly refined and edited that you just want to yell out “CUT” on the whole thing. It’s so bad in some cases that it is almost impossible to see some quality amongst it all.

Take for example the mid-album 1-2 punch of track 7 ‘Skylines and Turnstiles’ and track 8 ‘Early Sunsets Over Monroeville’. The former should simply have never made the final cut of the album. It is of poor quality in almost every department and if you heard a local band complete an exactly identical performance, you would either boo or simply remain silent. The latter song is merely a decent ballad that goes on and on at least 2 minutes too long. It was as if these tracks were recorded and never spoken about how they could be improved by anyone. Movie directors call for re-shoots or polish up the product in post-production. That clearly didn’t occur here.

Elsewhere, approximately half of the track-listing shows some kind of potential, but there simply isn’t enough refinement to allow the respective strengths of the songs to shine through. There are some neat little ideas and ambition lurking deep within songs like ‘Our Lady of Sorrows’, ‘This is the Best Day Ever’ & even the overlong mumbo-jumbo of lyrics that is ‘Vampires Will Never Hurt You’. But enjoying these songs is as difficult and annoying as driving with a dirty windscreen when your windscreen wipers don’t work.

The album is predominantly front-loaded as its pretty much all downhill following track 6, the very good, positive & bouncy up-tempo “Headfirst for Halos’. The only exception is the album’s closer ‘Demolition Lovers’, which actually makes good use of its 6 minute running time as it is an emotional rollercoaster that is well captured by its effective changes of pace and structure. Earlier on, the pseudo-opener ‘Honey, This Mirror Isn’t Big Enough for he Two of Us’ is solid, while ‘Drowning Lessons’ proves that the band know their way around a rapid-fire rocker, as they were to prove on their follow-up album ‘Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge’.

With only a few exceptions, the music is ok without being especially noteworthy. Its leanings are more towards the hardcore, but the band only seem to go half the way there suggesting they were still to find their niche. Lead vocalist Gerard Way is yet to find his harmony here and is very inconsistent. Meanwhile, the lyrics throughout are not exactly those for shiny happy people. Full of angst and emotion, it does get overbearing (and sometimes plain silly) at times, but the poor production actually makes them easier to ignore in a way.

When all is said and done, I cannot grant My Chemical Romance’s debut album a pass mark. The lack of refinement is simply too glaring and it takes far too many listens to spot the positives on the majority of the tracks. At 41 minutes running time, the album comes off as overlong, especially since it is clearly front-loaded. This effort may arouse curiosity value from newer fans of the group, but I can’t imagine doing anything but ignoring it if I heard this album before their later releases.

Recommended Tracks: Headfirst for Halos & Demolition Lovers.

Emmure Eternal EnemiesThe Pretty Reckless Going to Hell
Broods BroodsThe Jezabels The Brink
Fanfarlo Let's Go ExtinctAbandon All Ships Malocchio
3.2
good

botb
July 1st 2008

so much better than tbp...

DaveBum69
July 1st 2008

you weird I think this is there best album

DaveBum69
July 1st 2008

your weird IMO this is there best album

McP3000
July 1st 2008

this is one of the worst albums ever recorded

July 1st 2008

their later stuff is sooo much better

Chewie
July 1st 2008

good analogy with movies, got the point across well. B+ review. I pos'd it.

20856 Comments

Nothing like an MCR review to bring on the mixed feedback. I think those who would prefer this album over their later efforts most probably like heavier music (metal and/or hardcore). Personally, I lean more towards the mainstream so prefer their later efforts.
DEREK, thanks for the postive feedback on the movie analogy. I can be hit & miss with those types of things, so I hope that (& the windscreen wiper comment) actually assisted in getting my main point across.

ilikemusicthatsucks
July 1st 2008

This album proves that even Aiden might be able to one day release a good album.

good review posed it blah blah.This Message Edited On 07.01.08

McP3000

so very very wrong

Iluvatar

Our Lady of Sorrows is an awesome song

20856 Comments

Thanks for the pos ILIKEMUSICTHATSUCKS. I always notice Aiden albums getting low ratings. The couple of songs of theirs that I have heard totally turn me off.

Fair call MCP3000. More an assumption that I made and I definitely stand to be corrected.

Welcome to my feedback John (ILUVATAR). 'Our Lady of Sorrows' was the song I was most referring to when writing on the lack of production & refinement on this album. It's clearly a great song deep down, but I get frustrated with it believing it could be so much better. Plus, it's all of 2 minutes long.
This Message Edited On 07.01.08

AtavanHalen
July 1st 2008

I too have been majorly pissed off at this record at times. Good calls, man; good review too.

Willie
July 1st 2008

The first few tracks are good and one or two near the end, but the middle songs drag. Good review, I agree with most of it.

willfellmarsy
July 1st 2008

Never listened to this album but Honey this Mirror isn't big enough for the two of us is an excellent track...

20856 Comments

Thanks Dave (ATAVANHALEN). I used the word 'frustrating' somewhere along the way. Getting pissed off at the album is just as apt.
WILLFELLMARSY, if you don't mind MCR's albums that were to follow, it may be worth looking into at least some further tracks from this debut. As WILLIE said, there are some good songs here & there, but there are also some shockers.

AtavanHalen
July 1st 2008

I don't think I'll ever understand people that prefer this to Revenge and TBP. Same as people that dig Fall Out Boy's Evening Out With Your Girlfriend over From Under the Cork Tree. I mean, seriously...

ToWhatEnd
July 1st 2008

123. I do however enjoy Honey, Vampires, Headfirst and Our Lady of Sorrows. The rest is fairly bleh. Great review.

ilikemusicthatsucks
July 1st 2008

I don't think I'll ever understand people that prefer this to Revenge and TBP.

It's probably because they want to be distinguished from everybody else like all tr00 die hard fanz. But despite a few songs this isn't a very good album at all, almost hard to believe they went on to make something as awesome as the Black Parade.

Smileyface
July 1st 2008

I can't stand these guys.

Good review, Daveyboy.