Johann Sebastian Bach
Suite for Cello Solo No. 1 in G major, B

by Jake C. Taylor USER (89 Reviews)
June 17th, 2008 | 18 replies | 28,601 views

Release Date: 1717 | Tracklist

Even to this date the lonely cello is still a neglected instrument. However, there are countless compositions which showcase the warmth which reside within the brailed strings of the wonderful fuzzy sound. Such compositions primarily came from the Baroque era (c. 1600-c. 1760), in which the string quartet usually saw the use of the cello, but sometime between 1717 and 1723, Johann Sebastian Bach decided to pay respect the instrument, composing six infamous suites for solo cello.

Each of the six explores their territory in a similar fashion, holding their own prelude, allemande, courante, sarabande, galanterie and a final gigue. Of the six, the first maintains a well established popular knowledge, none other more so, than the first “Prelude,” which with its fabulous exploration of arppegiated chords around the tonic note, give the audience a definitive insight into the master that is Bach. On top of the initial brilliance witnessed within the first instalment, the second, or “Allamande” certainly doesn’t maintain audible reconciliation with the general audience, but surely upholds the emotion that has already been crafted. While the movement does feel at times to shift into areas where the calming music feels uneasily static, the third movement, “Courante,” fronts in with immediate grace and form.

In the “Sarabande” the music once again returns to a few of the infamous chords expressed in the Prelude, but, this movement is haunting and aching, and rather saddening. In such a vibrant suite thus far, this may feel a little uncomfortable for some listeners, as it should, but as a piece itself, it preserves its own quality through the raw emotion of the player’s guise. The fifth part, which includes the “minuets,” is said by many, to be the point of practice for aspiring cellists. One because of its apparent easier form, but also its tonal quality, which for many cellists is easily recognisable within the wood of their instrument. Non-chordal in its approach, something which so far is very experimental, the “Galanterie” is relaxing, and hopeful, and sets a good point for the final “Gigue” to return to the location where toe suite began; harmonic excellence.

Today, the actual music for the suites is not accounted for, therefore countless editions, renditions and interpretations have given rise to interestingly different recordings of the suites. The first, for example uses certain phrasing, which in another edition would possibly be completely different. With such freedom for the performer to express him or herself in, the first suite, while the simplest and conventional, will offer a stunningly good insight into the beauty of the cello, a still neglected instrument.

Cavern CavernHans Zimmer The Dark Knight Rises
Periphery Periphery II: This Time It's PersonalSantigold Master of My Make-Believe
Age of Evil A.O.E.Meshuggah Koloss
4.3

Poet
June 17th 2008

good review, glad to see more classical music appreciation on here. I need to listen to more classical music myself.

RoshanC
June 17th 2008

Woop i play the cello, good to hear it getting some air. I like the bach cello stuff that i play, havent heard this tho, great review, i need to listen to some more classical.

ilikemusicthatsucks
June 17th 2008

I need to listen to more classical music myself.

i need to listen to some more classical.

TheGreatD17

since

SHOOTME

Good Effort, Poor Planning, Lack of heart= D+

Poet

Classical is the worst thing to happen to music since Guitar Hero tbh.

There is more fail in this one sentence then all of kattunlover's posts combined.

SHOOTME

He was joking... I hope.

ilikemusicthatsucks

He was joking

*Sigh* It'd be a lot more fun if people didn't have to clarify every time they were joking on this site.

Jim
June 18th 2008

Even to this date the lonely cello is still a neglected instrument.
no d00d lyk apocalyptica

taylormemer
June 18th 2008

That's the problem with the internet - it's completely made of shades of grey

And Apocalyptica = blah. But they have some unique style so credit for them for that.

Djnx
June 24th 2008

Better yet, Rasputina. Bach is my favorite from the Baroque.

silverleaves
June 24th 2008

I used to be able to play Prelude on guitar, I'm re-learning it and the other pieces right now

brandtweathers
July 18th 2008

2009 Comments

**** i love bach

Kucinichism
June 20th 2009

As a cellist, I have to say I friggin love playing this particular suite.

Cesar
June 20th 2009

I love Bach, but I'm more of a piano/violin guy.

Avirov
June 20th 2009

Would you suggest the recording pictured, of Pablo Casals, or should I consider looking through some other versions?

Cesar
June 20th 2009

In my personal opinion I would suggest Casals, he was an amazing cellist and musician. Can you find better? Idk. Will you enjoy Casals? Definitely.

qwe3
October 2nd 2009

I just converted this from flac so it's now on my ipod.