soulDecision
No One Does It Better

good

by Greg Viessman USER (44 Reviews)
June 13th, 2008 | 15 replies

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: soulDecision created a record that was quite different from their contemporaries. Trevor Guthrie's amazing vocal abilities and the band's unique blend of hip hop, R&B, and pop make this an enjoyable listen

With the plethora of boy bands: the Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, and 98 Degrees, that emerged in the late 90s, a Canadian band known as soulDecision came bursting onto the scene at the dawn of the new millennium with their record No One Does It Better . Vocals were handled by Trevor Guthrie and David Bowman with Ken Lewko handling the keys. These guys were trying to be different from their predecessors in how they emerged listeners in their music. The catchy pop hooks are present, so are the love ballads. The thing that makes soulDecision different though is that they give off a R&B flow to some of their songs to go with that boy band pop.

The disc starts off with the band's biggest hit in Ooh It's Kinda Crazy. From the start, one can tell Trevor Guthrie has a strong voice. It is very calm and soothing. The highlight of this song is the chorus.
"Ooh it’s kinda crazy
I’ve been thinking maybe gotta get you out of my mind
First you say you want me now your memories haunt me
Why don’t you just give me a sign"
Guthrie's emotion is the selling point of the song for me.

In fact, if it wasn't Guthrie singing, this would be a bland album. Lyrically it is the same old boy band lyrics of love and wanting that significant other. The instrumentation is there to keep the beat and are used for the atmosphere of the song. Next Time even incorporates an acoustic guitar with that upbeat tempo to create a fun catchy song to sing along too.

Guthrie sells the music and lyrics in a way I haven't heard before in a pop band. In I Don't Need Anyone, Guthrie uses his soulful voice to compliment the upbeat nature of the song. The vocals do have a low point. This point is the man named David Bowman. He isn't very good honestly. He is tolerable in Feelin' You and actually really good in the backing vocals of Let's Do It Right, but is horrendous in Only In My Mind which is one of the worst songs I have heard. It's a cheesy 80's style song with terrible vocals and below average keys. The part that bugs me the most though, is that the keys are sensational at times. Stay, Next Time, and Faded prove this the most.

Faded is the most interesting song on this album. This is not a full blown pop track at all, it's a upbeat danceathon. This is one of the catchiest songs that I have ever heard. The little rolls and hooks that Ken Lewko does with the keyboard gets me pumped every time. This mix of hip hop beats, pop vocal styles, and even an appearance by rapper Thrust makes this the best song on the disc.

soulDecision created a record that was quite different from their contemporaries. Trevor Guthrie's amazing vocal abilities and the band's unique blend of hip hop, R&B, and pop make this an enjoyable listen. While being boring and even bad at times, one cannot deny the ability for this band to create catchy tunes. In the crazy of boy bands for that four year period from 1997-2001, I will say that soulDecision made the best album.

Amon Amarth Deceiver of the GodsChildren of Bodom Halo of Blood
Lost Horizon A Flame To The Ground BeneathDiablo Swing Orchestra Pandora's Pinata
DragonForce The Power WithinNightwish Imaginaerum
3.3

June 13th 2008

What in fresh hell is this? A pop album being reviewed on sputnik?

NEGNEGNEG!

June 13th 2008

lol, pop is a pretty good genre tbh. I also like adult contemporary stuff like Savage Garden and Josh Groban.

June 13th 2008

^^ Who hasn't. Alright personally, S Club 7 was my guilty pleasure or at least pop groups with girls in it,I never liked these boy bands. Even at a young age I thought they were a bunch of fags and turned away. Fortunately i've never heard/ heard of this band so i'm good. Swell review though Pendulum.

Digging: Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith

June 13th 2008

I was joking in my post. I don't listen to much pop so I really can't be a judge.

June 13th 2008

dOnT TyPe ThAt WaY, iT's HaRd To ReAd!

kattunlover69
June 14th 2008

guys got nothing on n sync and pre -queen of pirates- kat-tun

slep
June 14th 2008

OH SHIT THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOOOO OPEN MINDED!!!!!!!!!!!

botb
June 14th 2008

i remember faded being a big radio hit.

TheGreatD17
June 14th 2008

I loled when I saw this, no one should remember this band. It's sad how some of the greatest albums go unreviewed while soulDecision gets one.

ninjuice
June 14th 2008

i remember faded being a big radio hit.

So do I.
Personally, I always hated boy bands. Thank God they went away.

Who negged this?

fireaboveicebelow
June 14th 2008

what was the point of this review...

the only good boy bands were BSB and FiveThis Message Edited On 06.14.08

ninjuice

Who negged this?

I've told this to other people, but in my experience, most of the time people don't come forth and tell you. That's unless it's a negative review and there's only one fanboy who commented.

June 14th 2008

what was the point of this review...

the only good boy bands were BSB and Five

Um....not really.

Tyler
June 14th 2008

These guys are terrible and his review is a gimmick.