Silversun Pickups
Carnavas

by backinhindsight USER (1 Reviews)
May 27th, 2008 | 7 replies | 1,455 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A+ Fuzz Rock

Some time last year I was at Target for some reason, not sure what my reason was exactly, and I wandered into the music section. Whenever I go to Target I like to look at their music selection and this particular time I noticed an album with an intriguing price of $6.99. Seeing as how albums tend to run from $9.99-$18.99 I was rather excited by the prospect of such an inexpensive album. I picked it up and discovered that it was the album “Carnavas” by Silversun Pickups. I had heard the name Silversun Pickups mentioned by my local radio station but couldn’t put the name to a song, but since it was only $6.99 I decided to get it. I can happily say that this was probably the best spur of the moment purchase I’ve ever made.

The time of the year I bought “Carnavas” was really sunny and because of this the album sounds really happy and sunny to me. Let's start off with the lead single “Lazy Eye”. This is definitely an amazing song and I’m astounded that I didn’t remember having heard this on the radio before I bought the album. The song starts with a nice little guitar riff and then goes into the verse which is bouncy and just makes you want to bob your head along to it. One of my favorite things about this song is that the band change up what they’re playing so frequently but you can still tell it’s the same song all the way through. The single is a good representation of what the whole album is like, fuzzy guitars and interesting song structures that make you want to listen to the songs over and over again.

The top two songs on here would have to be “Future Foe Scenarios” and “Common Reactor”. Both of these songs showcase the singer’s unique voice really well. Aubert puts a lot of emotion into his lyrics while keeping them at the same time catchy and sing-alongable (probably not a word, but it should be…). “Future Foe Scenarios” sounds really secretive, probably due to the brooding music and the yelling of “Who do you work for baby?!?” in the chorus, while “Common Reactor” also sounds brooding but happy at the same time. The random noise at the end of “Common Reactor” is a great way to end the album but for my money it goes on for just a tad too long.

The reason this isn't a classic is because some of the tracks really don't stand out from the rest of the album like the aforementioned tracks do. "Three Seed" is a good example of this. While it is a good song it just doesn't do anything to stand out and as a result becomes an easily skippable song. Luckily the only other song that clearly suffers from this is the first song "Melatonin". Again nothing wrong with the song, it just doesn't do anything special to stand out or make you want to listen to repeatedly.

I mentioned the vocals a bit but not really the lyrics. I’m most definitely not a lyricist and so I have no idea what just about any of these songs are talking about, but despite this I have memorized every lyric and love to sing-along to it. Sometimes it’s nice to just listen to good music and good vocals and not have to understand what, exactly, is being sung about.

All in all I think this is an amazing album that anyone who enjoys this style of indie rock should listen to

Max R. (5)
Because maybe if we're loud we'll stay alive....

Porter W. Richards (4.5)
Comparisons to Smashing Pumpkins are inevitable, but the band makes an album that was almost perfect...

Michael Schmitt (4.5)
Silversun Pickups blast their way beyond their live act and into their first album. Carnavas shows w...

Bron-Yr-Aur (4)
An accessible marriage of grunge and indie rock....

backinhindsight
May 27th 2008

I've been on this site for about 3 years but this is the first time I've actually done a review. Decided to do it on the Pickups cause I've listened to the cd so much I felt I could at least give an opinion on it

AtavanHalen
May 27th 2008

Welcome to the site, man. A few things, though:
1) Try not to review albums that already have heaps of reviews, unless you're giving a totally brand new perspective of the album (we really didn't need eight reviews telling us how much Untouchables sucked, for example).
2) This reads more like a journal entry or something to that extent than an actual review. Try and describe the music more (you really could have mentioned more songs and song techniques, etc, as opposed to just saying how much you liked it).
3) It's cool to include some focus at some point on the various instruments, and the people that play them. Learn the band members' names, or just Wiki them if needs be, and that will make your review make you at least look like you know something about the band.
One last thing- seriously try and stay away from using personal pronouns too much ("I", "me", "my" etc)- takes away from the review and makes it look really unprofessional (that latest ICP review is an example of this, which sucked anyway).
Welcome aboard, either way. You've picked an amazing album to start with.

May 27th 2008

that's when it turned on me, when bobby pins held angel wings

backinhindsight
May 27th 2008

Thanks, I did look up the singers name and for some reason I didn't put it in the review... I changed it now

cometuesday
May 28th 2008

future foe scenario and waste it on back to back own the hell out of me they're so good.
pretty much tracks 2-8 are absolute perfection, but like you said the bookends aren't too shabby either.

fractured
May 28th 2008

Dude's voice is whiny, can't get over it. And anything this slow paced and generic cannot be perfection. I don't understand some people I guess...

cometuesday
May 28th 2008

clearly we must be speaking about different albums...