Jason Mraz

good

by Tyler Munro EMERITUS
May 23rd, 2008 | 29 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 30 year old pop-singer's reliance on his boyish appeal is growing thin. Still, if it works, run with it.

Sometimes known as the geek in the pink, Jason Mraz is instead an artist who works in shades of grey. Not so much a metaphor for his music's mood, but rather its aesthetic; Mraz has always floated between labels, and for better or worse, the separation between sides has come to define him. At times, Mraz echoes shades of that choir boy everybody made fun of, but who was adored by adults and teachers who thought he was ‘charming'. Sometimes, Mraz lulls about with shades of the alt-bore movement, musically falling somewhere between Jack Johnson and John Mayer. Mraz's music is often interspersed with his palpable quirkiness, comes most often in the form of uninvited, awkward cracker-rapping, but occasionally shows its face with some occasionally well placed scatting. It is this identity crisis that defines him and, for the most, hurts him. We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things does its best to streamline Mraz's multi-faceted pop approach, and for the most it succeeds. But as always, it's worth looking into.

Blending upstrokes and two-tone key-work, lead-single "I'm Yours" blends a Jack Johnson-esque island vibe with Mraz's competent vocal delivery. When his voice swallows to a low creak it works; when he scats, it's surprisingly both fun and endearing. "Lucky", a duet featuring MySpace stalwart Colbie Caillat, is an equally joyful composition, relying almost entirely on the pleasing-if-cornballish harmonies. If "I'm Yours" is for the campfire, "Lucky" is the song you'd hear during a romantic-but-bouncy stroll down the sand. "Butterfly" tosses horns into the mix for a disco-funk tune that's screams Beegees just as hard as it does Timberlake. His boyish flavour does at times feel a little at odds with the song's surprisingly sexual nature but he detours awkward moments with yet a bout of uninvited scatting. We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things is at its best when it's having fun, because it makes it easy to gloss over Mraz's sometimes goofy, often forced word-play.

While he luckily limits the juvenile rapping that plagued his first two albums, it is important to note that he's just 70 years short of a century and his sometimes childish delivery threatens to hinder the fact that he can really carry a tune. But the more you look into this, the more confusing it gets. The more I wish he'd grow up, the less I want to listen to him. "Love For A Child", a grown-up sounding song about divorce sang from a child's point of view, highlights this paradox. "Details In The Fabric" is an acoustic snoozer featuring James Morrison's horribly underwhelming presence. The song goes nowhere, and it's this song more than others that make me wish he'd scat, rap…anything to make it interesting. It's not that I want to hear him goof around, it's that goofing around is what he does. The glaring fault with this album is the very same separation I mentioned earlier, the paradoxical nature of being a 30 year old kid never sure of what side he should show.

In the end, We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things is a misleadingly solid pop outing. Jason Mraz will charm you, hook you and make you uncomfortable–often in the same song. The album is harmless fun, and the funky, groovy, hook-dominated tracks are impossible to hate. Unlike his past outings, Mraz limits his many faces on each song, making it easier to skip what you can't take and focus on what you like. We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things is for those who can't decide if they want Timberlake, Elton, Mayer or Johnson. The album provides a bit of everything the pop world has to offer while perfecting nothing. Like he says on the vocally acrobatic (but mostly gag-inducing) "The Dynamo Of Volition", Jason is "the best definition of good intention". While his boyish charm is wearing thin, it can never cease to exist, for regardless of its effectiveness, it remains the sole distinguisher and thus the only reason he's still on the right side of success.

Masked Intruder Masked IntruderAtheist Jupiter
Aeon Path of FireAdam Haworth Stephens We Live on Cliffs
Autopsy The Tomb WithinOrbs Asleep Next to Science
3.2
good

May 23rd 2008

This is kind of all over the place. Don't point out the obvious thanks.

May 23rd 2008

this is all over the place

no thanks

May 23rd 2008

I donno I like a few songs a lot but the rest suck, it's kind of the usual with him. I never really listened to Mr A-Z as much as his first, though.

AtavanHalen
May 23rd 2008

I can't believe this guy is still making music. He's probably been dining out on Remedy for the past six years.

i would

it's bloody brilliant

Jom
May 23rd 2008

"Remedy" and "You and I Both" were awesome.

IsItLuck?
May 23rd 2008

I wish I could post pictures so I can put up the Leprechaun in Alabama's amateur sketch.

Electric City
May 24th 2008

album title definitely reminds me of the Spokes track "We like to dance and steal things".

You and I Both was such a great track

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

plane
May 24th 2008

I hated what I heard from this, but I've never been a fan of Mraz to begin with.

SpinLightTwo
May 25th 2008

Wordplay, The Remedy, and You and I Both were all great singles.

Ouch
May 25th 2008

THIS IS A FUCKING DEATH METAL CLAZZIC AND DIZERVES NO LESS THAN A 5!

Jom

Well, he gone.
EDIT: wait, he's done that already.
EDIT (2): OH I SEE WHAT'S GOING ON HERE.This Message Edited On 05.25.08

JohnCCalhoun
June 5th 2008

I've always though Jason Mraz was and is a good songwriter, especially on Rocket, but this album's just alright. I haven't really liked an album of his since Rocket, this and Mr. AZ just had a couple of good songs.This Message Edited On 06.05.08This Message Edited On 06.05.08

AlexTM510
December 6th 2008

I'm Yours is really really annoying

But to be honest it's not terrible.

JumpTheF**kUp
January 14th 2009

I'm Yours rules.

AtavanHalen
January 14th 2009

Writing to officially state that this album blows.

Morningstar98
March 22nd 2009

This guy was on SNL last night lip-synching.

It was painful.

spoon_of_grimbo
April 6th 2009

heard this guy for the first time today. i really like "i'm yours."