Ramones
Ramones

by Chewbacca USER (32 Reviews)
June 18th, 2005 | 85 replies | 26,368 views

Release Date: 1976 | Tracklist

It's a rather cold night on the Lower Bowery. There's nothing to do in Queens, he thinks as he passes by the same prostitutes that are on the same corner every day. Eventually, he stumbles to a seedy bar occupied by God-knows-what or better yet, God-knows-who. All of the urban hipsters, the Warhol crowd, the strippers, junkies. Everyone is gathered outside, smoking and talking. Suddenly, there is a huge roar from the inside that startles him, and he thinks.. "well..it sure beats these freaks". A lanky, long hair man in a leather jacket, and possibly the greatest sunglasses you have ever seen stands wrapped around the microphone, blurting out his own odd poetry in a faux British accent. The two guitar players, legs apart, creating the tsunami of sound that once startled you, and the barely noticable drummer, pounding away on his small Ludwig drum set. The man suddenly realises.. that this could be big. Not just big... revolutionary.

The Ramones

Joey Ramone : Vocals
Johnny Ramone : Guitar
Dee Dee Ramone : Bass, vocals
Tommy Ramone : Drums

Ramones is quite possibly the most revolutionary and important album in the last 30 years. Released in 1976, it was made on a budget of $6,000.
Every song possesses the signature sound associated with the Ramones. The guitars roar with overbearing power, yet at the same time crafting catchy, easily played chord progression that any novice could play. The drums fiercely try and keep up with the beat, pitter-pattering and creating swirling sounds with the cymbals. Over all of it, Joey croons and shouts the extremely catchy and dumb lyrics in an almost British accent. These are the sounds of a band in its infancy, and are some of the most recognizable sounds in punk music. In time, though, the Ramones would stray away from their simple, yet genius pattern, and would eventually fade away.

The songs, as stated before, are all hard-driving and catchy, with dumb lyrics over top. "Blitzkrieg Bop" is the first real punk sound ever recorded. It begins with a simple and fast I-IV-V chord progression, with the whole band roaring. Suddenly, everything drops out but the drums, and Joey soon sets in rock what punk music will be with only four words "Hey, ho! Lets go!" repeated, over and over. The song is one of the most recognizable of all time, and has been used in many commercials over the years, and even at sporting events as a rallying call, which it was written for. "Beat on the Brat" is obviously about teenage violence, and is one of the most stupid sounding songs on here, and has one of the best lines on the album in "Beat on the brat, beat on the brat, beat on the brat with a baseball bat". I laugh every time I hear this song, just because of its blunt humour. "Judy is a Punk" also follows in the same fashion, and even includes some backround "ooooohs," definately a representation of their roots in bands like the Beach Boys and the Beatles.

Despite there being a large portion of blunt, stupid songs, there are also some love songs that add a nice amount of variety to the album. "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" is an absolutely gorgeous love song, with tambourine and arpeggiated (!!) chords, and also contains some sweet "oooohs". "Listen to My Heart" is similar, but isn't really a standout, except for the great bridge lyrics/chord progression. "I Don't Wanna Walk Around With You" is the anti love song, with rejecting lyrics that sound very "Ewww you have cooties!," but that may just be me.

The other songs are all genius, simple songs. "Chain Saw" is an obvious tribute to one of the band's favorite movies, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which reveals a lot about their sense of humour and overall personalities. "Now I Wanna Smiff Some Glue" is the glue sniffer's tour de force. Glue was a fairly cheap drug, as it was a household item, and used to be used by some of the members when they were younger, so the song is basically a delinquent tribute to delinquent days. "53rd & 3rd" is probably the most vicious song here, written by Dee Dee. The song depicts being a prostitute on the near-famous corner, as it was where Dee Dee was apparently a male prostitute. Dee Dee comes in to sing on the bridge, and very convincingly sings :
Quote:
Then I took out my razor blade
Then I did what God forbade
Now the cops are after me
But I proved that I'm no sissy
"Today Your Love, Tommorow the World" is an extremely ironic song. Written by Dee Dee, who, growing up in Germany and the song of a military man, was familiar with Nazi imagery, and had gone through trash bins to find discarded morphine and other things, and eventually had become a drug addict by the age of 14. Joey sings, which provides the irony, as he is Jewish and sings lines like :
Quote:
I'm a shock trooper in a stupor
Yes I am.
I'm a Nazi schatze
Y'know I fight for fatherland
Little German boy
Being pushed around
Little German boy
In a German town
Today your love, tomorrow the world
The song is a perfect example as of why the Ramones never really got any radio attention. They were far too liberal in their ideas, and were ahead of their time. The music was too different for radio, and is still ignored by radio stations. If some of the songs had different content, they would have had hits constantly. The Ramones are one of the most perfect pop bands of all tine. They were the Beach Boys meets the MC5, melodic but extremely tough, and they had one of the most perfect and recognizeable images in music history.

This is the beggining of everything that "punk" truly was. Sure, there were "punk" bands before the Ramones, but they themselves made it what it is truly thought of. In my opinion, this is one of the greatest and most influental albums of all time, and no other "punk" band will come close.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor F#A# (Infinity)Animal Collective Feels

June 23rd 2005

awesome intro paragraph!!

Arrakakaka
June 23rd 2005

That was an amazing intro man. Amazing album too.

Good review :thumb:This Message Edited On 06.23.05

i_am_zombie_jesus
June 27th 2005

Awsome review,loved the intro paragraph,love the cd,love the ramones

R.I.P joey jhonny dee dee!

Yppolitia
June 27th 2005

Wicked review for a wicked band.

Hey Mr. Light Man
July 12th 2005

The Ramones are/were everything that rock and roll is/was.

Fantastic review for a phenomal group.

TheChaplain
July 13th 2005

Awesome review!! The Ramones definitely were revolutionary as the first big American punk band, and you gave them all the credit that they deserve. Hey, ho, let's go, huh?

danje
July 13th 2005

great review, ramones r one of my fav bands, GABBA GABBA HEY!

masada
July 15th 2005

C'mon, where are the replies?

Thanks for the feedback, so far.This Message Edited On 07.15.05

Music Nerd
July 23rd 2005

This is in my opinion the best punk album ever. So many bands would not be here without this album. It changed so many lifes. Great review, great album, great fucking band. Thanks for the review. 5/5.

Meteora3255
July 30th 2005

I never have been able to get into the classic punk music. I don't knpw why, but I try to listen and I never find a song that I find I really enjoy.

Captain_HumpYourFace
August 9th 2005

Brilliant album, brilliant review. You really got across how this album sounds and showcased everything that makes me want to listen to it again and again. I think the Ramone's popularity is starting to fade over time as I hear more and more people downplaying their impact but if you just listen to this album and listen to the radio, or any number of independent bands, you can hear the Ramone's loud and clear.

They took a minimalist approach that few bands before had even tried. Basically they were singing bubble-gum pop at a thousand miles an hour and it worked. Whether they were musical geniuses or lucky to be at the right place at the right time can be debated but their influence across countless genres of music cannot be. I love the Ramones.

kolzig33189
September 1st 2005

awesome finally someone treats thi s album with respect it deserves

DesolationRow
September 1st 2005

Great review, no doubt. The intro was brilliant. However, i have never been able to enjoy the Ramones. Something about them just turns me off. But nonetheless, brilliant review.

March 17th 2006

Yeah, that intro was legendary.......you legend

This album kicks so much arse that I'd probably buy it twice. Then again I'm a big fan of most of their albums....apart from acid eaters.
Awesome review, awesome band.

Simon Kent
April 12th 2006

I feel no need to hesitate in saying that this is the Ramones best album (with End of the Century in a not-to-far-behind second, even though Spector screwed Chinese Rock). This may in fact be the best album ever. I have been listening to it at least once a week for two years with no end in sight.

April 15th 2006

Eliminator, are you going to do anymore Ramones reviews anytime soon? I'd love to see one for Subterranean Jungle.This Message Edited On 04.15.06

LIZZERDKING7

this album is good but the best ramones albume is ramones mania
The Ramones are the first and the best pun k band of all time nuthing else comparse

omg is deedee really dead i thought it was just Jonny and Joey R.I.P

LIZZERDKING7

this album is good but the best ramones albume is ramones mania

omg is deedee really dead i thought it was just Jonny and Joey R.I.P

tom79

i'm quite sure others "compare".This Message Edited On 04.13.07

Digging: Rainer Maria - Look Now Look Again

April 24th 2006

'omg is deedee really dead i thought it was just Jonny and Joey R.I.P'

Wow, you really didn't know? he died two months after their induction into the hall of fame.