Pixies
Doolittle

by BigRoachy USER (6 Reviews)
June 17th, 2005 | 559 replies | 58,724 views

Release Date: 1989 | Tracklist

The Pixies are one of the most incredible and loveable bands ever. Doolittle, in my opinion, is their best CD.

1.) Debaser: A great opening track to a wonderful album. An anthem that can never be forgotten by any fan of the Pixies. Very upbeat and fun. 5/5

2.) Tame: A quick follow up to Debaser, but brilliant. The bass riff in the beginning is fast as are the drums. Black Francis whispers the lyrics during the verse and during the chorus he screams "TAAAAAAAME!!" as loud as he possibly can. During the bridge, Black Francis and Kim Deal start panting aggressively and Francis ends up screaming "TAAAAAAAME!!" over and over up until the end. An aggressive and fun track. Though not even two minutes long. I give this track a 4/5.

3.) Wave of Mutilation: This track is a beauty. Starting off with a fast drum beat and guitar to lead off the song. Then during the verse, Black Francis sings the lyrics in a nice way, other than the more aggressive way as in Tame. With unforgetable lyrics such as "You think I'm dead, but I sail away on a Wave of Mutilation.." this song will last in my memory forever. 5/5.

4.) I Bleed: A quieter song to follow up Wave of Mutilation. The verse is brilliant with Black Francis saying the lyrics and Kim Deal singing the lyrics over Black. The chorus is just Black saying I Bleed. The bridge is kind of cool, it sound like it has 2 or 3 voices used in it. I give this song a 4/5.

5.) Here Comes Your Man: This song has a very retro feel to it. The main guitar riff reminds me of 60s type music, but it is beautiful to a Godly extent. The verses have Black Francis singing over an upbeat guitar riff. The Chorus has Black singing "Here comes your man" over the retro guitar riff. This whole song is quite upbeat sounding and definitely takes the cake as the best song on the album. 5/5

6.) Dead: This song has a more badass feel to it. More poundy drums and a cool guitar riff. Plus the lyrics aren't sung as upbeat as HCYM. This song is kind of boring at times so I rate it 3.5/5.

7.) Monkey Gone to Heaven: I love this song. It starts off with a quick guitar riff that leads into a bass riff which is the Verse. Black talks instead of sings in the verses. During the middle of the verse, you can hear orchestra instruments pick up which is very cool. The Chorus has the band singing "This monkey's gone to Heaven!" with a lot of different instruments besides guitars and drums playing. The bridge is the best part of the song where Black says "If the Devil is six, then GOD IS SEVEN!!". This song is brilliant and definitely deserves the 5/5 I'm giving it.

8.) Mr. Grieves: What can I say about Mr. Grieves..? It's much different than the other songs on the album and kind of bores me.. I give it a 3/5.

9.) Crackity Jones: Another fun song. It starts out with just a lightly distorted and fast guitar riff with Black singing over it. It's a short song and fun to listen to. 4.5/5

10.) La La Love You: I love this song so much. Not much in the way of lyrics, but the drums mixed with the vocals and the guitars just take me away. This song deserves a 5/5 for sure.

11.) No. 13 Baby: This song is alright. It is kind of boring compared to the other songs on the album. Still a good song though, so it gets a 3.5/5.

12.) There Goes My Gun: This song is another one of those alright songs. It gets quite repetitive after listening to it a lot. 3/5

13.) Hey: Ahhhh. A classic song. Starts off with Black yelling "Hey!" a short silence, then a bass riff picks up with Black saying "Been trying to meet you!". The guitar riff in this verse is just so subtle, yet genius in every way. The Chorus consists of Black saying "We're chained" over and over again. Beautiful song, my second favorite on the album. 5/5

14.) Silver: Hmm.. What can be said about this song..? I consider this song the weakest track on the album. Though, I can tolerate it, it just seems like filler. The guitar riff is a depressing, Western sound. The vocals are depressed. And the song is just over all.. Boring. 2.5/5

15.) Gouge Away: After listening to Silver, I really need something to pick me up. Thank God for Gouge Away! This song starts off with drums and bass and Black saying the legendary line, "Gouge away, you can gouge away, stay all day, if you want to..". The Chorus part is classic. A supurb ending to a classic album. 5/5

Bottom Line: This album is a classic. Pick up this album even if you aren't a Pixies fan. It may take some getting used to, but this album is the most loveable album I've come across for a long time.

Album Score: 5 out of 5

Rammstein RosenrotRammstein Herzeleid
Pinback Summer in AbaddonPixies Bossanova
Trivium Ascendancy

June 17th 2005

Good review. The Pixies are probably one of my favorite bands, even though I don't own any of their albums.. maybe I should get on that.

June 17th 2005

Buy this one first, man. It is a total classic.

June 17th 2005

I was thinking of Surfer Rosa first, since I've heard more from it.

June 17th 2005

They're both very good albums. Surfer Rosa has a more shouty and fun air to it while Doolittle has a cleaner air to it.

June 17th 2005

"Oh My Golly!" is probably my favorite Pixies song.

June 17th 2005

Haha, that's a great song.
But my favorite song by the Pixies is Velouria. It is just too beautiful for words.

Iai
June 18th 2005

My favourite Pixies song is Gigantic, which is on Surfer Rosa. having said that, I don't like Surfer Rosa at all, bar maybe 4 songs. Definitely get this first.

Zappa
June 18th 2005

This isn't as good as Surfer Rosa pretty much just because of the way its mixed.

kiosk2081
February 6th 2006

pretty good review ( i agree that joey santiago didnt get enough recognition, but that is neither here nor there)

this is an excellent CD... EXCELLENT!!!

Tarantino's Tarantulas
February 6th 2006

Iai - "Definitely get this first"
Agreed, this is the best album to get you into the Pixies. I'd then get Surfa Rosa, followed by Trompe Le Monde, then Bossanova (I find that album way too pop-rockish)

Tarantino's Tarantulas
February 6th 2006

Before anyone mentions it, my version of Surfa Rosa has Come on Pilgrim on it as well, so Im kinda counting them together

Against-the-Scene
February 13th 2006

Pixies are one of those bands i cant stop listening to.

Six Foot Revolver
February 14th 2006

The rating for dead is an outrage :eek:. Its my favourite Pixies song!

February 16th 2006

I hate this review. I'll never do a tbt like this again, if I even do another review.

February 16th 2006

As good as these guys are, I still think of Pavement as the difinitive indie band. Still, though, these guys are running a close second.

February 16th 2006

Don't be too hard on yourself, man. Downfall of alot of reviewers.

Nah not really.

The downfall of a lot of the reviewers here is thinking that they're good.

The Jungler
February 18th 2006

I agree with you on alot of things. No. 13 Baby, and There Goes my Gun are the only songs on this album that i really dont like. Here Comes Your Man is insanley catchy but hardly the best track IMO.
I agree with you about Velouria though
nice reveiw BTW

March 2nd 2006

The downfall of a lot of the reviewers here is thinking that they're good.

Touche :thumb:

Med57
March 2nd 2006

Hmm I might review this. And Surfer Rosa actually as I've gone on a massive Pixies listening kick recently, even by my standards. Fantastic, fantastic album.