Ataraxie
Anhedonie

good

by rasputin USER (196 Reviews)
May 17th, 2008 | 23 replies | 38,319 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A disappointing comeback after their brilliant debut.

Ataraxie’s debut, Slow Transcending Agony was a superb album; it combined a very strong influence of death metal with funeral doom, resulting in a very heavy, yet brooding album. With Anhedonie, the band has attempted to expand their foundations, making the album longer, slower, and much more atmospheric. As a result, we have a monstrously long album, with only 4 songs ranging from 13 to 24 minutes (not including the intro). In this regard, Anhedonie is quite an intense album, and should not be taken lightly.

The balance of climactic heavier moments and the slow funeral doom is still as apparent as it was on their last album, but Ataraxie have expanded the gap between the significance of both styles. In general, Anhedonie is much slower, with the bursts of energy coming only so often, to either break the melancholy or provide a climax to the music. To be honest, I would not go so far to say that this ‘longer’ approach to Ataraxie’s style of doom is better than what we had on Slow Transcending Agony; rather than a progression to a new sound, the band has re-shaped their fundamentals and given us a different perspective to their music. Or so I like to think.

The overall sound of the album is very dark; the softer sections exude a sense of despair, and the heavier moments just sound fucking evil. Very much like Slow Transcending Agony the band does not waste its time using anything like keyboards, synth etc. to create an atmosphere; it is merely the equilibrium between the cleaner and heavier sections, along with the presence of Thery, that creates a thick and dark atmosphere. However, these 'atmospheric' sections are much longer on Anhedonie, and there are more of them, which unfortunately causes the album to drag in numerous instances. The bloated track lengths are probably a result of this, and in all honesty Ataraxie would have done themselves a favour by cutting between 5 and 10 minutes off each song. Even so, the songs themselves are quite well written, albeit far too long.

Jonathan Thery, the bassist and vocalist, is the driving force of Anhedonie, and of Ataraxie's sound in general. He’s easily one of the better vocalists in the genre; from his fierce growls, to his desperate screams, and even his whispers, he is the perfect accompaniment to the music. I particularly liked the way he’d begin with a growl and then trail off into a scream, it really works wonders for this album. His growls definitely sound better than on their debut, but there is marked difference in the amount of high toned screaming he does; they play a very prominent role, not quite overshadowing the growls still (which is a good thing), but Thery has decided to try and balance the two styles on Anhedonie. I personally enjoy his growls a lot more, and would have preferred him to save the cries of desperation for only particular moments. In certain sections, such as in ‘Walking Through the Land of Falsity’, I feel that it would have been better if he had kept the vocal tones at a low; his screams are good in small doses, but they are very over used on Anhedonie.

There are some glaring faults on Anhedonie which unfortunately are large enough not to warrant a higher rating. I still like to think that the band haven't taken a step back, merely a step to the side, but there is no doubt that this release doesn't have the strength or intensity of its predecessor. Even so, Anhedonie is not a complete failure, merely a different take on Ataraxie’s already original sound.

Hoax HoaxHakaristi Hakaristi
Burial Invocation Rituals of the GrotesqueEibon Entering Darkness
Abe Sada / Sub Ordnance Redux / Organ GrinderIron Lung/Mind Eraser/HS/Scapegoat Brutal Supremacy
2.7

May 17th 2008

hey man, did your rating for the album go down since you reposted this?

...and i still havent gotten a hold of this.

oh, and here's your pos back.

May 17th 2008

cheers mate. Yeah, I'm sort of leaning on a 3.5 now, but I can't decide if I should change the review rating as well. It's good, but I hardly listen to it.

May 17th 2008

yeah, i'd probably just go ahead and change it if i were you.

...and there's a slight error in your fourth paragraph..

[quote=Rasputin]f[size=10]u[/size=10]cking evil[/quote]

it's showing up like that instead of how you probably had it before.This Message Edited On 05.17.08

May 17th 2008

oh yeah, i'll fix that now, thanks for pointing it out.

June 4th 2008

Changed the review around a bit, so it would better reflect my rating.

June 25th 2008

the more i listen to this, the more i wish they never made this album...

still a good review though.

June 25th 2008

Holy crap a 2?! I actually haven't listened to this for weeks so I might drop it to a 3 but I wouldn't give it a 2. But yeah, it was pretty disappointing.

July 15th 2008

made some more changes to the review

ilikemusicthatsucks
July 15th 2008

This is a good review, pos'ed.

Cheers mate.

freudianslipknot
July 16th 2008

Great review - pos. Despite the 3 rating this still sounds like something I would like - certainly the long songs make it sound more appealing. I still need to get some ataraxie, but I have been so side-tracked with work that my music collection hasn't expanded much at all in the past six months. I have to rectify this.

July 16th 2008

Ah you must do so. Basically, get Slow Transcending Agony, not this. Give this a listen only if you love that.

July 16th 2008

[quote=rasputin]Give this a listen only if you love that.[/quote]

not even if you love that.

freudianslipknot
July 16th 2008

Well actually slow transcending agony is high my "need to get" list - so I'll start there. If I really like that, then I'll have to get this . . .

September 6th 2008

Rather than this freud, get The Other Path. It's more of a death/doom combo, a lot of melo-death influence as well, but it's far better than Anhedonie.

charlesfishtitz
September 7th 2008

yeah, just skip this album altogether.

so you finally gave the other path a listen rasp?

September 7th 2008

yeah man, I downloaded it from that link you gave me ages ago. It's good. I found it interesting that they were hardly funeral doom at all, and then all of a sudden BLAM, slowed everything down. Wondering what they'll do next.

February 13th 2009

I really don't understand people. Someone rated this a 1; just look at his charts.

charlesfishtitz

hrmrmrmmrmrmmrmmrmrmrmmrm

i should listen to this again

February 13th 2009

I started listening to it but I was like ohok and I put on the track 'L'ataraxie'. Am I a bad person