Black Sabbath
Master of Reality

by power_lutin USER (9 Reviews)
June 7th, 2005 | 31 replies | 6,513 views

Release Date: 1971 | Tracklist

Band lineup

Ozzy Osbourne-Vocals
Tony Iommi-guitars
Geezer Butler-bass guitar
Bill Ward-drums

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Black Sabbath were the first band to achieve the Ďímetalíí genre. They wrote 6 masterpieces in 5 years, which is quite unbelievable. Their music was the influence of many of todayís great bands. Their first album, Black Sabbath, is pretty different then their followings. Paranoid was of course the best rated album, and I think it has been overrated. I think that paranoidís following: master of reality, is way better. It also has a crunchy metal tone, which I love... Here is my review:
Track reviews

Sweet Leaf- That track begins by the sound of Tony Iommi choking on a joint between recording sessions. A hard riff comes out from nowhere and Ozzy Osbourne start singing about marijuana. It may not be parentís favourite song according to the message that this song carries. Ozzy explains that drugs were one of the main things he likes in life and how he was before taking some. Still this song is incredible and is one of Black Sabbathís well known.
(5/5)

After Forever- This track has a really cool riff and some parts that make me ask about Red Hot Chili Peppersí influences. The subject is god and it proves that this band had a lot of different subjects to talk about. The lyrics explains how god is the only way to love and it has some really direct lyrics. This is my favourite song on the album.
(5/5)

Embryo - Embryo is children of the graveís intro(I suppose). The music sounds like medieval music which is quite unusual with black Sabbath. I think it is not a bad song but it doesnít have itís place on that album.
(2.5/5)

Children of the grave- Here is one of the greatest song ever. Children of the grave talks about how next generations should not do the same mistakes has their predecessors and that they should use peace instead of war. The subject of this song is just insane and the music is great. A pretty heavy guitar riff that almost sounds like trash metal, nice lyrics and vocals, nice drumming and bass and guitar completely matches. The solo is also great.
(5/5)

Orchid-A second instrumental guitar song but this one is way better than Embryo. A smooth but repetitive riff fills that beautiful song. Still the problem is there: Why should a 8 track record have two instrumental songs(:30 seconds and 1:30 minute)? I canít figure out and thatís the only problem with the album.
(4.5/5)

Lord of this world-A song that will remind you paranoid songs. It has it personal crunchy and groovy tone which suits it well. This one talks about a man unable to know himself and his own secrets and that chose the evil instead of the good.
(5/5)

Solitude-Solitude proves that even if Black Sabbath could write heavy songs, they could write smooth and acoustic songs too. This song is really good and could remind you planet caravan from the previous album.
(4.5/5)

The void-Probably my favourite riff on the album. In fact, this song has a lot of great sounding riffs. This song is pretty long but still is one of the albumís greatest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only thing that I donít like about this album is embryoís and orchidís role in this album.

Please write your comments and watch for my other reviews J!...

Megadeth So Far, So Good... So What!Black Sabbath Paranoid
Enthroned Carnage In World's BeyondSlayer Decade of Aggression
Metallica Kill 'Em AllBlack Sabbath Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
user ratings (2099)

EdwardTheGreat
June 8th 2005

I'd have to agree with your comment that 2 short instrumentals on an 8 track album is annoying, and it makes the album seem like its too short. For that reason you knock half a star off. The review wasnt bad, but using proper grammer, and capital letters just makes it easier to read and seem better. Still good review though.

power_lutin

Is it better now?

Badmoon
June 9th 2005

Pretty good album. I've never been that into it, but it is a nice piece of work.

Good review too.

power_lutin
June 9th 2005

Thanks. I would really love to write a greateful dead review but you did all of them and they are ok so its fine... They were pretty good too but i wasn't agree about the S/T.

ROH
August 21st 2005

Good review for a great album mano.

It has some of my favorite Sabbath songs (In the Void, Children of the Grave, Lord of This World).

It's one big flaw (like you said) are the two short instrumentals.

Bonzo17
December 27th 2005

i agree with alot of you said, and yes after forever is the best track

Phil
December 27th 2005

There normally are two instrumentals in Sabbaths album though.

Broken Arrow
February 19th 2006

The last track is acctually called "Into the Void" and it's my favourite song on the album.

Good album but I'd take th self titled over this anyday.

Decent review.

Bfhurricane
February 26th 2006

im listening to this right now! which resulted in me going to the review for this. I find this is an album u really like or its "meehhh" for you... i love it. For some reason After Forever doesnt really do it for me, maybe it will grow on me

Modest Mouse
April 3rd 2006

Ok im also wondering if i should by this because I HEARD "THIS WAS SABBATH TRYING TO BE METAL BUT JUST BEING CHEEZY"....i really like sabbath i have Vol.4 and paranoid which are probablywith my favourite albums of all time.....so im wondering should i buy this cd.

bakdziti
April 12th 2006

Into of the Void = on of the best guitar riffs ever.

This album rules, all songs are excellent, even the fillers, which help swing the mood around.

Mr. Squeegee

Just a side note...

This album made rock history with the tuning of the guitars down three semitones to C#. I think Iommi knew this because of the clever way he presents this innovation - the first two tracks are written in A and G and could be played on a standard-tuned guitar.

The title "Embryo" actually takes on significance when you note that the key here switches to C# minor, where it stays for most of the rest of the album - it still doesn't exhibit the low C# in all its heavy metal glory but prepares the listener to hear it in "Children of the Grave" - the "embryo" gives birth to a new metal paradigm, if you will.

I think that's pretty cool. Iommi was a genius.

overdriven101
April 19th 2006

ive only heard the paranoid album, is this better or worse?

overdriven101
April 19th 2006

what are the best tracks?

bakdziti
May 3rd 2006

Better than Paranoid? Can't really say, but my favorite tracks are:

Sweet Leaf
Lord of this World
Into the Void

Mathias HIMSELF
May 31st 2006

Children of the Grave, and Sweet Leaf are instant classics, i love this album its one of my favorites.

metallicaman8
May 31st 2006

I like this album. But it's not my favourite from Sabbath.

south_of_heaven 11
June 4th 2006

This album is completley killer.

Thor
June 4th 2006

Someone needs to make a new review for this album because all of the current ones are pretty bad.

Decapitated Assault
June 7th 2006

Ok this album personally is my favorite Black Sabbath album. It really heavy considering that it was made in 1971. The best songs on the album for me are Lord of this world, Into the void, and of course Children of the grave. The instrumental Orchid is beautiful and Embryo is well dark and mysterious and is an awesome prelude to Children of the grave. Also Solitude reminds of planet caravan and After forever is an awesome song.