Morphine
Cure for Pain

by Andrew H. EMERITUS
June 4th, 2005 | 225 replies | 15,367 views

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Morphine created a sound which the world had never heard before and has not heard since. Morphine's debut, "Good" was the perfect album to bring the band's sound into the world. With their second album, "Cure For Pain", Morphine made a classic.

Morphine:

Mark Sandman - Vocals, Bass, Guitar
Dana Colley - Sax
Billy Conway - Drums

Morphine's combination of Sandman's two string slide bass and smooth baritone vocals, Dana Colley's gravelly sax and Billy Conway's excellent grooves on the drum kit, all with large bits of funk thrown in throughout, was a truly unique sound. Morphine's sound was smooth and easy, a band for people to kick back to. The bluesy sax with the bass sliding around it was fun, sexy and most of all, cool. With an excellent album behind them, "Cure For Pain" being a classic, one more classic and two more top notch albums ahead, Morphine were a band capable of churning out classic track after classic track.

It is rare for an album to have nothing but great songs on it. Morphine's second album, however, does exactly this. The tracks of "Cure For Pain" are in exactly the right order, but were any to be swtiched, the tracks would still be in exactly the right order. The album often switches between sadder and more bluesy tracks and upbeat jazzy (but still bluesy) tracks ("Candy", followed by "A Head With Wings"). The chemistry between the band is remarkable. The drums drive the music in conjunction with Mark Sandman's smooth and groovy basslines. On top of that, Dana Colley's gravelly sax parts drive the music along with the bass but also play some great melodies with excellent solos in the majority of tracks. Most of all, Mark Sandman's deep and smooth vocals give the songs their feel and make the album truly great. "Cure For Pain" is arguably Morphine's best record, which says a lot. A classic album, filled with classic tracks, "Cure For Pain" is simply a must own.

Pros

- Great sound
- Excellent solos and vocals
- Morphine deliver great emotional songs as well as great rock tunes

Cons

- Album can become tiring after many listens because of the large number of tracks

Reccomended Tracks

Jakob DominionNorma Jean Meridional
4.2

Med57
June 4th 2005

I've heard so much about this band, but literally never anything by them. :-/ It looks like this is something of a good place to start. Typically good review, etc.

br3ad_man
June 4th 2005

Yeah, get either this or "Yes". Nacho seemed to think in his review of "Yes" that that one is a better starting point, so maybe you'd be better off getting that one. Zappa gave "Yes" a 5/5 so you know it's quality.

Happymeal
June 4th 2005

This is the first album I've heard from them and I can't decide whether I like this or "Yes" more. Nice review man.

br3ad_man

Thanks.

I can't believe that only 2 people have commented on this legendary album.

Zmev
June 16th 2005

Awesome album, but I prefer Yes.

kfunk89
June 27th 2005

pretty good album, but i think i'm still into the general jazz. ya'll should check out joshua redman, AMAZING sax player!

Phunphone
June 27th 2005

Great jazz/rock recording. Soulful and strong vocals, and brilliant saxophone lines. It's indeed a classic.

5/5

Iai
November 23rd 2005

I just heard this for the first time.

Holy shit. What an album.

Sorry, but this blows Yes out of the water. And I like Yes a lot.

Kool Aid
January 16th 2006

I saw them discussing Morphine in the Alt/Indie forum, so I figured I'd take a look at some of their albums. Very nice review, by the way. I have not fully listened to the album yet, but so far it is simply amazing. I won't rate it yet, of course, but if the rest of the album is like this, it's definately got a high rating in my book.

Zebra
February 23rd 2007

Believe it or not I just bought this a few days ago and it's amazing. In Spite of Me, Buena, and Thursday are my favorites however I don't think there's a bad track on the album. I also dig the bass saxophone combination, what a unique sound.

MeowMeow
June 21st 2007

Holy fuck.
Great album. I got it based off of this review. Why do I always find out about this stuff after the band already breaks-up/dies?

YDload
September 22nd 2007

this has to be one of the greatest albums ever. cool songs + unique sound + unified mood and theme = my qualifications for classic album.

IAJP
August 12th 2010

in spite of me is absolutely fucking fantastic. obviously this whole album is but that track really sticks with me.

xfearbefore
October 5th 2010

Soooo glad to see this recognized for the classic it is. "Sheila" has to be one of my favorite songs ever and the rest of the album is just one highlight after another.

Digging: Ultravox - Vienna

PuddlesPuddles
October 14th 2010

Oh my godddd I just remembered this album

And how cool it is

kitsch
March 22nd 2011

candy says that nothin really matters anymore
and when i ask her why
she says i oughtta know

---

i really want to like this a lot more than i do

EpsilonJSTC
July 30th 2011

Oh man, this is the coolest band ever. I think Good is just a bit better though.

rules so much

Digging: Picchio dal Pozzo - Picchio dal Pozzo

Spec
January 24th 2012

Fuck yeah codeine and now morphine.

listen to this bitch