Black Sabbath
Heaven and Hell

by USER (1 Reviews)
May 5th, 2005 | 13 replies

Release Date: 1980 | Tracklist

Now it's time to have a look at sabbath after ozzy was out , and to see that they were still making great music without him.

After ozzy was kicked out (or quit) the band, sabbath knew they had to redeem themselves for their last couple of albums and prove that they can still maintain their credibilty as musicians and black sabbath without ozzy. So then comes in Ronnie James Dio, ex - elf , ex - Rainbow singer who definetly helps them do just that. With Ronnie's thundering vocals added into the band sabbath reached new depths into their music creating an album which can be truly defined as "Heavy Metal" for the time. This album in my opinion is defnietly a classic and ranks as high as their earlier works.

1.Neon Knights(3:49) - The first song on the album roars in showcasing ronnie's vocal talents and tony's amazing guitar skills, perfect song for an opener. 5/5

2.Children of the Sea(5:30) - Great song that starts off semi-slow in the beginning then gets nice n heavy throughout. 5/5

3.Lady Evil(4:22) - Good tune, starts off with iommi's trademark guitar and just keeps goin, overall a solid tune. 4.5/5

4.Heaven and Hell(6:56) - a definite sabbath classic right here, classic guitar riff, geezer's pounding bass and bill's solid drumming, mix well with dio's voice. Slightly redundant in the beginning but definetly the epic of the album. 5/5

5.Wishing Well(4:02) - Great little rocker that keeps you interested throughout, good solo by tony as well. 4/5

6.Die Young(4:41) - Excellent song that takes off with a keyboard/iommi intro then delivers pure power as dio, geezer and bill kick in, great mood setting song. 5/5

7.Walk Away(4:21) - A good song but the weakest one on the album, shows a hint of dio's earlier lyrical roots with elf, but overall a good solid tune. 3.5/5

8.Lonely Is The Word(5:49) - The finisher song of the album and a nice way to end it, a softer almost ballad-like epic that sets a mood, nice bass on geezers part, and just a great way to end the album. 4.5/5

Overall Heaven and Hell is a definite sabbath classic and should be recognized as a classic even if ozzy isn't there, My favourite sabbath album. Thanks peace

4.3

94_Hours
May 5th 2005

Dio was surpringly good with this band IMO.

ReturnToRock
May 6th 2005

good review, maybe a little more detail would have made it even better.

IMO a great album, personal favourites include neon knights, killing youurself to live (you seem to have forgotten it :P) and the wonderful children of the sea

props

cai2k
May 7th 2005

killing yourself tyo live is ozzy. I'm sure. it's on sabbath bloody sababth

Aeaon
June 9th 2005

I think Ozzy Osbourne Black Sabbath is great but I don't like everything else.

Aakon_Keetreh
October 8th 2005

i really liked black sabbath a lot when dio came, but personaly i think ozzy was better

Fade.To.Black
April 18th 2006

Yeah Killing Yourself to live was on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Both good albums. This is my favourite sabbath album as Iommi's Guitar doesent sound too murky and it has some killer solo's.

Fade.To.Black
April 22nd 2006

And at least Dio's voice can be heard properly unlike the murk with Ozzy. he has a good voice but it just blends in too much.

XAQ
June 23rd 2006

I agree

The Door Mouse
June 23rd 2006

2092 Comments

I love love every aspect of black sabbath exept for the vocalist that they have. Dio and Ozzy suck.

metallicaman8
July 14th 2006

Blunt as always^. But yeah, he's right. This is a pretty terrible review. You need way, way more detail. Since it's your ifrst I'm not gonna vote, though.