NOFX
Liberal Animation

by USER (41 Reviews)
May 2nd, 2005 | 19 replies | 8,901 views

Release Date: 1988 | Tracklist

NOFX's first mainstream album Liberal Animation is an interesting step into the world of punk. Originally Epitaph wanted to produce this but NOFX insisted that they would distribute the CD themselves. Of course that didn't go so well so eventually they gave into Epitaph. Here's who was in the band at the time of recording.

In 89 NOFX was...

Fat Mike - Bass, Vox
Eric Melvin - Guitar
Eric Sandin - Drums

Now, here's the song reviews...

Shut Up Already - One of the band's greatest hits. Smooth guitar in the verses and a nice riff of Led Zeppelin's Black Dog in the end. (9/10)

Freedumb - A really cool political song, about 45 sec. Fast guitar and screaming vocals put this at the top of my list. (8.5/10)

Here Comes The Neighborhood - An acoustic start and a really thrashy chorus makes this a really punky song. That is definitely a good thing. (8/10)

A200 Club - A song about crabs. Not the animal. Still a catchy beat puts it at the top of the list. (8.5/10)

Sloppy English - My favorite song on the album. A really cool mix of messed up vocals and good guitar. The chorus is addictive! (10/10)

You Put Your Chocolate In My Peanut Butter - A cool song about an un-wanted person that always hangs around for no reason. The song is too long. But still has music talent in it. (7/10)

Mr. Jones - An OK song about God knows what. I really don't like it that much. Nut still god drums in this one so I'm forced to give it a... (8/10)

Vegetarian Mumbo Jumbo - A Ska song. Pretty well done. Cool lyrics. I'd have to say it's a... (7.5/10)

Beer Bong - The band's classic song about beer bongs. It's so good. But the music in it isn't all that great, but it's so catchy. (10/10)

Piece - A cool song about eating meat, vegetarians, and activism. Cool. Also some nice guitar here. (9/10)

I Live In A Cake - Not a very good song. Weak point in the album. Horrible. (4/10)

No Problems - An OK song with good drums. Worth a good listen. I sometimes listen to this one and I love it. Or I hate it. Kind of varies (7/10)

On The Rag - Gross. Well the song is good. The chorus is very thrashy. I like it. A lot. (9/10)

Well That's it. See ya later for my next NOFX review. Or any review. It's all good.

OVERALL SCORE = (8.5/10)

TV on the Radio Young LiarsHammock Maybe They Will Sing for Us Tomorrow
Russian Circles StationUnwound New Plastic Ideas
Helmet MeantimeStrike Anywhere Dead FM
2.4
Joseph Bush (3)
Turning ridiculousness into happiness since 1988....

Koloz (4.5)
In conclusion, I think this album is worth the purchase, even if you are just a casual punk rocker. ...

NEDM
May 2nd 2005

cool cd
but only for hardcore nofx fans or anyone of the straightedge genre

shimmy
May 3rd 2005

Yeah...this is one of my favourite H.C album,in my NoFx top 3!
Well,you'd like Hardcore to appreciate this for the 100 per cent,bcos it's less melodic than last NOFX albums,but it's still a great one!!!!
Nice rewiev man..........
----------------------------------NOFX RULES----------------------------

Zesty Mordant
May 3rd 2005

Sorry, but you need to start writing better reviews. This is like your 7th review for this site, and though I won't fault you for being productive in that sense, the quality of them is not too great.

you need to provide much more depth especially in the song-by-song descriptions, and you need some kind of conclusion. Plus, you could work on your grammar and sentence structuring a little more.

NEDM
May 3rd 2005

ill take any comments i can get from nice guys like you but others are just like ... OH MY GOD YO FUCKING SUCK

holygrape
June 2nd 2005

i love this cd it is awesome!

chill_guitarist
June 19th 2005

why do you always put a comment right in front of your reviews?

DFelon204409
July 9th 2005

[quote=beyondtheblueprint]Truck Stop Blues - Stupid way to end an album. Slow acoustic song about sadness. Gay. Well not a very good end to a good album. (6/10)[/quote]

Do you understand the concept of satire, irony, or parody? I'm ashamed you've managed to be ranked Top 15 after reading a few of your reviews.

Wiggles
September 2nd 2005

Woah woah! I live in a cake deserves more than 4/10, the lyrics are absolute tripe but the riff on the chorus is immense, that makes it a 6 or 7 at least.

DFelon204409
September 2nd 2005

NOFX rules. Probably one of the greatest bands of all time.

Mike Rakhabit
March 18th 2006

I love NOFX but not this album there are only two decent songs on this album, Sloppy English and Beer Bong, and i said decent not great. Not my favourite album.

raptor420
April 24th 2006

hardcore fags suck but nofx is fucking awesome

smokersdieyounger
May 7th 2006

I skip through like ahlf of this album, beer bong and piece punk are good though. But I dont agree much with Piece punk.

Willie
October 3rd 2007

This album is as bad as this review...This Message Edited On 10.03.07

anuspudding
April 24th 2010

i must say, i am fairly confused by what makes Vegetarian Mumbo Jumbo a ska song

Koloz
May 12th 2010

^It's not a Ska last I checked..

AcidCaravan
December 23rd 2013

Well in contrast to the majority of people I wish NOFX would have continued on this path, playing pure furious, raw and snotty hardcore punk a bit in the vein of early Descendents and R.K.L., maybe even sloppier and funnier...This is one of my favourite albums from them, along with the "Maximum RocknRoll" comp. (maybe my favourite of them all) and the amazing "Ribbed"...

Digging: Smog - Julius Caesar

zakalwe
December 23rd 2013

No FXin way is this in any good.

Digging: J Mascis - Tied to a Star

AcidCaravan
December 23rd 2013

Punk is s'pposed to sound sloppy and to "suck"...being a fan of early HC I prefer this NOFX era. Even if I still like their 90's stuff..."So Long..." was amazing. Cheers

Green Baron