Mare
Mare

by Dancin' Man USER (40 Reviews)
May 1st, 2005 | 26 replies | 9,087 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Mare have released this excellent EP from Hydrahead records. They are label mates with basically the entire genre. Isis, Neurosis, and Pelican if are not currently, are all now on Hydrahead. Mare joins these bands releasing an excellent record that is equally as original as those of their predecessors. They use clean melodic themes frequently, similar to what you might find on Isis' Panopticon. The singer, Tyler Semrick (guitar) has an excellent singing voice whether he is singing true notes, screaming his balls off or growling. His diversity is magnified by his talent.

For only having three members, the music here is incredibly dense. The guitars are clearly downtuned, but that is not a bad thing. The drummer, while good and consistent, is not a legend. He plays what works. Often using rolling toms that work so well with Neurosis.

Each song is an adventure in itself. Anisette begins slow and thoughtful and builds itself into a confusion while always taking it's sweet time. They Sent You begins with orchestral horns accompanying the singer in a sweet, clear falsetto before the guitars march in and take over with melodies similar to what you may find while listening to Pelican. The grumbling intro of Tropic gives way to an almost jazzy sounding section with clean harmonized vocals and beutiful guitar without ever truly becoming heavy. Palaces Part 1 is reminiscent of an aural preciperatory trickle before the bassy drone shakes out the listener's bowels and then boiling over into a chaotiv frenzy. Finally, Sun For Miles takes off where Palaces left off before an a capella section pulls the listener in. This song is amazing in that it is a capella until roughly 3/4 of the way through when it ruptures and is music fitting for a movie of a hulking robot of war.

The fact that this band is able to distort anything and have it downtuned into oblivion without making it sound heavy is a feat in itself but even more impressive is that using the same tone, distortion and tuning, they can crush your eardrums. A truly excellent way for any band to begin their recorded careers.

Verse AggressionTool 10,000 Days
Found Dead Hanging Dulling Occam's RazorJob for a Cowboy Doom
Me and Him Call It Us The (C:) Drive Of Love StoriesEphel Duath The Painter's Palette
4.2

May 3rd 2005

A comment would be cool.

br3ad_man
May 3rd 2005

Good review. I'll try to check this out. What would you say is most similar to this band?

May 3rd 2005

Isis - Panopticon, just a bit slower and more plodding. Like I said, they fit into that whole group of bands, Isis, Neurosis and Pelican, they are just a little different, like each of those bands in relation to each other.

br3ad_man
May 4th 2005

Alright, I'll check that out. I haven't actually heard much Neurosis yet either, so they'll be on my list.

Happymeal
May 13th 2005

Ornery Cephalopod recommended this album more than a few times so I checked it out. I can't wait for their full length.

August 29th 2005

I may be seeing Mare in 2 weeks.

Kage
September 6th 2005

I need to check these guys out further. I prefer Post Metal without vocals, but this still sounds like it will be amazing.

October 12th 2005

They Sent You is so good.

Fabz
October 12th 2005

Just saw them in show last friday, good band.

Arrakakaka
November 27th 2005

One of my favorite CD's at the moment.

Aakon_Keetreh
November 27th 2005

never heard of them before

ArC
April 11th 2006

Definatly one of my favorite EPs. "Sun for Miles" and "Tropics" are my favorites.

pixiesfanyo
November 10th 2006

I've had this for awhile.

Shit is mad good.

Abaddon2005
August 18th 2007

Really good stuff, a shame they broke up after only one EP

IsItLuck?
November 23rd 2007

I listen to this album on and off. Right now, it's on.

IsItLuck?
April 11th 2008

more people should listen to this album

Neoteric
April 11th 2008

Yeah, it's mad good.

cometuesday
June 25th 2008

fuck i would kill for a full-length of this. its been on play as of late so im remembering how incredible/beautiful it is

Avirov
March 21st 2009

This is way better than post-metal, I think

WoodLawn
October 15th 2009

Saw their reunion show live at the front. Unreal. They still have it.

More people need to listen to this album.

Literally, the best vocals I've ever heard.