Hot Cross
Fair Trades and Farewells

by Electric Ocean USER (3 Reviews)
May 1st, 2005 | 22 replies | 12,585 views

Casey Boland - Guitar, Vocals
Josh Jakubowski - Guitar, Vocals
Matt Smith - Bass
Greg Drudy - Drums

Clocking at just over 17 minutes, "Fair Trades..." see's a bit of a departure from Hot Cross' previous sound. Seemingly doing away with the dissonant guitars and harsher of the vocal dynamics in favour of a much more straight forward, melodic approach, a step that they already seemed to be taking on their previous full length "Cryonics". However, don't get me wrong, they still retain an 'emo' sound and still employ the multiple volcalist approach; this is definately still Hot Cross. Anyway, onto the review:

1. Prepare/Repair: This song kicks off the album well, there is noticable improvement in the guitars with lots of fast lead lines apparent right from the beginning. Also the drumming here seems above average. There is also lots of interesting vocal variations; from the straight up yelled-sung to whispered parts ("Plastered behind scarlets eyes" at 0:49). In my opinion, this is one of the highlights of the album. All in all, this song sets the tone for the rest of EP quite well. 5/5

2. Solanka: Following in much the same vein as "Prepare/Repair", Solanka starts off with quite obscure chants of "Dolls and Shells" before the intricate guitars make and apperance once again. However, there are much more dual vocal parts apparent here than on the previous song. This is particularly evident at 0:56 when another vocalist takes over from Billy and sings a few lines. I have heard from various sources that the lyrical content of this song is based upon the book "Fury" by Salman Rushdie. However, I haven't read it and so can't really comment on it too much. Overall this song is fairly solid. 4/5

3. Throw Collars To The Wind: This was the first song I heard from this EP when it appeared on the bands Purevolume page and it did not dissapoint; it's a fairly stright-forward and driving song with, again, alot of vocal variation. I can see why they chose this to represent the EP as it sums up their new sound well. Also, whenever I listen to this song it makes me want to draw comparisons to Trophy Scars but I can never quite put my finger on what does it. Anyway, if you have never heard Hot Cross before I strongly advise you cheking this song out. 5/5

4. Better A Corpse Than A Nun: Aswell as being the technical highlight of the album this is also the longest song at 4:01. Two very fast guitar lines are played simultaneously and often weave in and out of each other,showcasing both guitarists' abilities. This song also seems to have more chaotic moments than some of the other songs here, reminding me more of what I have heard from thier debut " A New Set Of Lungs". This is one of my favourites from this EP. 5/5

5. Two Cripples Dancing: This is the only instrumental on the EP and while it is quite a nice melodic piece, I feel that something much better could have been put here instead. This would have been better off being retained for a future full length and seems to hinder the pace of the EP a bit. An ok song but a bit misplaced. 3/5

6. Consonants: The album closer seems to be the most melodic on the CD and while some parts are a little chaotic, some parts especially the "It is with the dream within our hearts that we proceed" are quite soft. Again, this song reminds me slightly of the aforementioned Trophy Scars. This is a good song with which ends the EP well. 4/5

In conclusion, although this is slightly different from the Hot Cross on "Cryonics" it is still very good and worth the listen. The added melodic edge shows that the band is not afraid to experiment and progress with thier sound and this can be nothing but a good thing. I would reccomend this EP to anyone who is already a fan of Hot Cross or any of the members past bands, or simply anyone who is into well-written, intelligent music. Also the added melody seems to lend Hot Cross some cross-over appeal and this may even be enjoyed by fans of bands like Thursday, as it is a lot more restrained than alot of modern screamo.
If you haven't heard this band and wish to check them out, a link to some of their songs including Throw Collars To The Wind is located [url=http://www.purevolume.com/hotcross/music]here.[/url]

This was my first review so please feel free to critique, give advise or comment.

cbmartinez
May 1st 2005

The guitar work is really awesome on this album, I love "Solanka." But I think Cryonics is better. Good review.

Sep
May 1st 2005

Nice review. The first three tracks are the best.
I like their sound on this better than Cryonics.

DFelon204409
May 2nd 2005

Cryonics is a better album but the instrumentation is more impressive here. I guess I just think they lost sight of songwriting here, which is probably because it's an EP and they weren't worried about consistency or flow. They're just stretching out before their new LP Tacoma.

Electric Ocean
May 2nd 2005

Yeah, I think I prefer Cryonics too but only slightly. I might review it when I get the chance, if no ones got dibs on it or anything that is.

SpecialBoy
May 4th 2005

Excellent review. Their stuff on Purevolume rules, I'm definitely going to look into this band more.This Message Edited On 05.20.05

DFelon204409
November 30th 2005

Hey. hit me up on the AIM. I happen to love the vocals as they've grown on me and fit the sardonic lyrical style quite well.

Dancin' Man
November 30th 2005

I definitely like this but prefer Cyronics.... I think. I'll need to check.

AtTheDriveIn198d
November 30th 2005

i need to listen to more hotcross

jaredrl
May 16th 2006

yes you do. Their demos on myspace fucking rock.

TheMisterBungle
September 28th 2006

these guys are sweet

StrizzMatik
December 14th 2006

SICK ep. The guitar lines are earsex through-and-through, and the band are rhythmically insane. Think The Fall Of Troy but a bit less grind/spazzy with more melody and three vocalists, and you've got Hot Cross. Their next record will power-own without question. 4.5/5

April 26th 2007

Best Hot Cross to date.

HighandDriving
January 12th 2008

True Fucking Say.
Their best songs to date.

rasputin
June 12th 2009

prepare/repair and solanka are so good

danse
July 21st 2009

pretty stink

July 31st 2009

god this album is just filled with sick riff after sick riff

abinge
August 30th 2009

^agreed. Flat-out awesome.

PirateSquid
December 10th 2009

I'll need to go check this out. Some of my friends are liking this more than Cryonics, so I dunno.

June 30th 2010

siqq guitar riffs so siqq

Chesse