Robert Johnson
King of the Delta Blues Singers Vol. 2

by Muddy Hendrix USER (8 Reviews)
April 30th, 2005 | 5 replies

Release Date: 1970 | Tracklist

Robert Johnson is blues personified into a man. He is the king of the delta blues singers.
Thus the title of this special album. Robert Johnson is arguably the most celebrated figure in the history of blues. His legend is immensely fortified by the fact that Johnson also left behind a small legacy of recordings that are considered the emotional apex of the music itself. These special recordings are not only classics and standards that blues should be applied to but have become hits with other artists: Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and it seems the biggest Johnson fan Eric Clapton. Who has devoted a whole album to Robert Johnson that is fairly good in it�s own right.
King of The Delta Blues Singers Vol. 2 contains 17 of Mr. Johnson�s extraordinary songs. It is the follow-up to the first compilation of Robert Johnson�s small library of music works.
This album does contain something very special though, it has the only appearance of
�Love in Vain� which is a blues jem that should be in every blues lovers catalog.
This album also includes the blues classics "Sweet Home Chicago," "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom," "They're Red Hot," and "Malted Milk". The music is certainly impeccable -- the self-accompanying bass line boogie was one of Johnson's greatest contributions to the blues, and it's displayed in all its beauty here. To top this, there's the beauty of his melodic work, and the interplay with his semi-gruff voice that help to make his songs memorable. He is the true legend of the blues, and anyone with even the slightest curiosity in that genre, or rock, needs to own both this album and its predecessor.
Mr. Johnson�s songs speak for themselves so I won�t review each song one by one.
But I do give this album a 5/5 because of the sheer brilliance in the guitar work and just the majesty and mystery that is Robert Johnson. Another thing is the audio quality, it�s amazing and might be the best sound quality his songs have ever had, it�s still fuzzy but he recorded these songs in a hotel room so this is probably the best we�ll ever have.
Thanks for your time.

Joe Walsh But Seriously Folks....Bob Dylan Another Side of Bob Dylan
Blind Boys of Alabama Atom BombBuddy Miles The best of Buddy Miles

Fucking genius.

December 22nd 2005

"If I Had Possession Over Judgment Day" is Robert Johnson's best song, and it isn't on here.

Although there are tons of good compilations for him, considering he has less than 40 recordings that we know of.

December 22nd 2005

I love Robert Johnson. An unbelievable guitarist. I got the complete recordings last year for Christmas and it's a fine example of early blues predecessors.

December 22nd 2005

I love his singing. He had that higher picthed country-blues voice down.

February 27th 2012

Still holds up well now. He could play dem blues.

Site Copyright 2005-2014