ďOmaha Sessions" is a compilation of songs written and recorded during the ďOmaha years" (1988-1991). During this time period, they didnít have a record deal so they put records out by themselves and sold them at local record stores and at their shows. They put out three albums, ďDammit," ďUnity," and ďHydroponic." These are just a few songs from those albums.
1. Soulsucker- This song starts out with some light tapping on the cymbals and then leads into a really nice bass part and a funk guitar part. Itís kind of mellow in the beginning, but then it gets harder. This song is kind of different, but itís not bad. 3.5/5
2. Today My Love- This one also starts out really mellow with some light tapping on the cymbals and leads into a harder song. P-nut does some really cool slap bass in this song. This is a really good one. 4/5
3. Slinky- The lyrics in this song tell a story. Itís pretty interesting to listen to. Itís not really hard or mellow, somewhere in between, but it changes style later in the song, like most 311 songs do. This song was a really good choice to include on this compilation. Iíve always been a fan of this one. 4/5
4. Summer of Love- O.K., itís pretty cool to think that one of my favorite 311 songs of all time was written 14 years ago after they had only been together for 3 years. Thatís what I love about 311, their old stuff is just as good as their new stuff. This one is mellow during the verses and hard during the chorus and changes to a reggae type beat near the end. P-nut does some REALLY cool stuff in this song, and Tim has a solo in this song that sounds amazing. I love this song. 5/5
5. Damn- This is a really good song to listen to if youíre looking for a good laugh. Some of the lyrics in this song are classic 311. For instance ďno thank you mam, bitch." See what I mean. Itís kind of got a funk beat to it and a lot of rapping. It changes to a harder song near the end and he stops rapping. Good song. 4/5
6. Down South- This one, like ďSummer of Love," amazes me every time I listen to it. The drums in this song are amazing. Itís one of those songs that if you were listening to it on a beach, it would be a lot better. Itís one of those reggae type songs and every once in a while changes into this hard-core rap/rock song like something off of the Blue Album. This is a really good song. 5/5
7. Rolliní- The instrumental to this song is really powerful in the beginning and changes to a funk beat when Nick starts singing. This song is talkin about how he was walking to his car one night while he was drunk and someone almost hit him, so they got into this big fight. This songís really fun to listen to. Itís a good one. 4/5
8. Right Now- This starts out with a really mellow instrumental with an amazing guitar part. The vocals are really relaxing in the beginning and then it changes to a harder song later. I love this song. They played this song on 3/11 day 2004 (I wasnít there, I saw the DVD) and it was amazing. This is a really good song. 5/5
9. This too Shall Pass- This is the only song from ďDammit" on this compilation and a really good choice. It starts out with some really cool bass and leads into a mellow song that changes harder later, just like prettymuch every other song on this compilation. This song has a really good message. Itís talkiní about how you shouldnít get too down about problems you have because they all will pass eventually. P-nut has an AMAZING bass solo that he plays twice during the song. I love this song. This song always seems to cheer me up whenever I hear it. 4.5/5
They donít sell this compilation in record stores, you either have to buy it from their website, or get it at one of their shows (if they happen to be selling it), thatís where I got mine. The only thing that disappointed me was the fact that they only included one song from ďDammit." The songs from that album are really good, and I was a little bummed that they didnít include more, but the songs they did choose to include are really good ones too. This compilation is a really good way to experience how 311 was way
back in the day. Iím really glad to be an owner of this CD.