Converge
You Fail Me

by Adam Turner-Heffer USER (38 Reviews)
April 1st, 2005 | 226 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Strap yourself in; you're in for a bumpy ride. Coming up to their 15th year, collaborating with everyone who's anyone (in underground music terms), working with most major punk/hardcore/metal labels, and being self-acclaimed cult heroes, it would be fair to say Converge have had quite a career. It would also be fair to say that there had to be a point where they started to break mainstream, like so many important bands before them, and to do it with a truly groundbreaking album. "You Fail Me' could well be that album.

Just over half an hour long it may be, but the listener gets so captivated by this album, one thinks it could have been going on for hours. But then, considering how many times you are likely to listen to this album, it probably did go one for hours when you do the math.

It's unfair to judge this album on single tracks, such as "Black Cloud" or "Eagles Become Vultures" the "singles" of the album. You need to hear it through and through, beginning to end; advised at least a couple of times, to fully appreciate how amazing this album is. Because it is a journey, admittedly fairly short as far as epic albums go, but that is perhaps its unique charm. But what makes this special is that every track on this album needs each other. 'Black Cloud" sounds quite good by itself, but when you hear 2 part intro "First Light" and "Last Light"; a slow paced, attention seeking, atmospheric, piece, "Black Cloud" suddenly becomes amazing.
It's all about setting the listener up in ephemeral stabs with this album. Dropping fast paced punk songs in the middle of gloomy, loud, -whisper it; progressive, tracks just makes the whole thing flow brilliantly, it's as if the band are right in front of you screaming their bollocks off for your entertainment. Usually long, sprawled out, sluggish tracks such as "You Fail Me" or "In Her Shadow" on any other album would be extremely boring, but since they sit right in the middle of walls of punk, hardcore and metal sounds colliding, they only exceed the quality of this album.

Thos who complain or even say that "they aren't as good as" or "they aren't as acclaimed as Dillinger Escape Plan" are simply wrong, because they are two completely different bands with different sounds. Where DEP take influences from masses of musical genres and influences to create something new, Converge just crash together their own favourite bands to make something raw, powerful and edgy. They are as important as Botch and Palehorse in their own genres, and with this album, they are here to prove it.

Adam Turner-Heffer.

British Sea Power Do You Like Rock Music?November Coming Fire Dungeness
Interpol Turn on the Bright LightsGodspeed You! Black Emperor Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas...
AVAST! FaultlinesFucked Up Hidden World

SpecialBoy
April 3rd 2005

You Fail Me is their worst album but still good in relation to almost everything else today.

Justanothernimrod
April 3rd 2005

heh, fair enough :D

Out of all i've heard its my favourtie, but then different tastes and such like

SpecialBoy
April 6th 2005

Oh yeah, good review compared to my Jane Doe one, which did suck I have to say.

94_Hours
July 2nd 2005

compared to Petitiong the Empty Sky and Jane Doe, it doesnt compare. Still a decent album though

canadapantsman
August 13th 2005

petitioning the empty sky sucked wang in my opinion... i dont see what the big deal about that album is, You Fail Me is the album that originally turned me off of converge and its a much better album. When Forever Comes Crashing is my fave so far out of their stuff. Havent heard Jane Doe, but plan to soon.

pixiesfanyo
August 14th 2005

This is pretty bad.

It sounds like Converge grew vaginas.

Arrakakaka
October 18th 2005

The only Converge album I am disappointed with. Even the B-sides owned this. But it's still worth listens, as I have been listening to it.This Message Edited On 11.10.05

Apathy
October 18th 2005

This band hurts my ears.

Jawaharal
November 26th 2005

I actually like this album alot.

Dancin' Man
November 26th 2005

You screweds up the tracklist and this is a poor review. I like this album but it has nothing on Jane Doe. Eagles Become Vultures is a great song.

STFDood84
November 30th 2005

Shee-it, people slag this album a lot these days. Personally, I think it was the most logical extension of their Jane Doe sound, an album that was full of incredible, crippling catharsis. This album was the release of some of that shit from Bannon's mind, but you really need to "get" Jane Doe to understand You Fail Me, I think.

This album is fukking great by any of today's musical standards, but definitely below Jane and Forever Comes Crashing. But I think that Last Light, Black Cloud, Drop Out (best song on the album, the outro is a total eargasm) Eagles Become Vultures, and even Heartless are better than 95% of most hardcore bands' songs out now.

canadapantsman
December 19th 2005

i like the creativity and the riffs on this album. theyre taking a new approach to the music here. this, like petitioning the empty sky, has really grown on me. i pretty much love it now. its really got a different kind of sound and i like how prominent the bass is on this album. i think along with Zao, Converge is one of the few metalcore bands i can count on to come up with something original and fresh sounding on every new release.

Lartsa
April 4th 2006

This is my first foray into Converge, I really dig the tracks on here; If I wanted better work from them, what album should I listen to? I'm assuming Jane Doe? Right?

Concubine
April 4th 2006

Either that or Petitioning The Empty Sky...

omgwtfboogie
May 9th 2006

I was reading some Converge lyrics the other day, and I am so impressed with them. Almost every song is poetry. I really respect them for that.

Confessed2005
May 10th 2006

Yeah Jacob Bannon writes some pretty awesome lyrics. I was just wondering who 'Palehorse' are?

Justanothernimrod
May 14th 2006

Palehorse are an incredible UK Sludge/Screamo band who only lasted one album and for about a year.

Their predominant sound is drums, screamed vocals and two-distorted to fuck basses. Feature members of Million Dead.

Their album "Gee That Aint Swell" is one of the best heavy/creative albums i've ever heard. I did a review of it on this site, I'm sure.

IsItLuck?
January 17th 2007

during 'last light' from like 2:11 until it slows down 2:38, is there a glockenspiel/xylophone?? i hear it in my left ear bud. But i'm not sure if it is or not. someone confirm this.

IsItLuck?
January 17th 2007

p.s. it's very faint, but i definitely hear something

Abaddon2005
March 11th 2007

The outro riff to 'Drop Out' is so freaking awesome, it still gets me every time. His tone is rather unique on that as well.