Lovage
Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By

by Happymeal USER (8 Reviews)
January 31st, 2005 | 29 replies | 11,084 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

(Released in 2001 through 75ARK Records)

lov·age n.
A Mediterranean perennial plant (Levisticum officinale) having edible leaves and leafstalks and small, aromatic, seedlike fruit used as seasoning.

This, I guess, is what you would get if you took two grown men who stick their critically acclaimed noses in everybody's business and a husky, deep-voiced siren in the form of an Elysian Fields vocalist and put them
together to piece together a puzzle of a hip-hop album. Yes, yes, yes. You got that right. Another collaboration.

Dan "The Automator" aka Nathaniel Merriweather is at it again, this time with the super-powers of Faith No More/Mr. Bungle/Fantomas/Tomahawk (etc. etc.) mastermind Mike Patton and beautiful chanteuse Jennifer Charles. The three put on a good concoction of mid-crawl, downtempo hip-hop grooves with no rapping at all. This works surprisingly well in this record's case.

In case you haven't already noticed, this album is an aural aphrodisiac. How these fellows deliver the libido however, is as facetious as it gets. With titles such as "Stroker's Ace" and "Sex(I'm A)", one would probably think of it as a mere joke album. A joke album it is, but the sentiment remains the same. Plain and simple, this album oozes SEX from every corner; none of that "pussy licking" jabberwocky, mind you. It's sophisticated erotica to say the least.

The songs themselves can be divided into three categories: sample'd instrumentals, "normal" songs with both Patton and Charles on vox and that occasional casual interlude that add even more fun to the already humorous tone of the album. Tunes such as "Lies And Alibis" and "Everyone Has A Summer" show Dan's trip-hop flexibility, and how without either Mike or Jennifer both tracks can survive on their own. "Koala's Lament" has a strong Spnanish bossa nova-esque feel to it, complemented by turntable musings, which I'm guessing is Kid Koala's doing.

"Stroker's Ace" may be the first song a lot of people heard and liked, and it's not hard to tell why. Its funky big beat horns and with lines such as "stroke that shiny coat, stroking is the antidote/stroke that, it's a start only for the wild at heart", it could pull almost anyone in. My favorite song and arguably the best would be the cover of Berlin's "Sex(I'm A)", which is about (guess) a prostitute. And with Jennifer Charles doing the honors, it has got to be one of the most rewarding and downright titillating experiences ever in the history of music, especially when she starts moaning at the 5 minute mark. Good Lord.

Not to forget the comedic interludes; they play an integral part in the well-being of this record as well. Just wait until you hear Damon Albarn on "Lovage (Love That Lovage, Baby)".

In its bare bones, the band really is just a stripped down, sexified Handsome Boy Modelling School made more posh. The centerpiece of the three, not surprisingly, is the lovely Miss Charles(but that's not to say that Mr. Patton's suave won't lure in the ladies). Beyond all the humor, she is the spiced meat that makes Lovage so delicious. She lets rip her foxy persona and shows everyone how lethal a femme fatale she really is. She gets you thinking whether or not she's lovemaking in the recording. She's that good.

Of course, this album is not for everyone. If you're looking for a bit more technicality, this probably isn't for you. Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By is dedicated to all aspiring connoisseurs out there who prefer good ol' innuendo over vulgar cheesiness. Again, Nathaniel Merriweather certainly does deliver and more.

Running out of excuses to make love to your old lady? Well this may just be the best reason to.

The Nation of Ulysses Plays Pretty for BabyTusk Get Ready
The Gerogerigegege Tokyo Anal DynamitePinback Blue Screen Life
The Blood Brothers CrimesBetween the Buried and Me Between the Buried and Me

BillCosby
January 31st 2005

Nice review. I've only heard "Stroker's Ace", but I want to hear more.

Tapeworm
January 31st 2005

Sounds rather interesting. I'm on the verge of breaking into a lot more hip hop these days, so I will keep this in mind.

Well written too, I read the whole thing.

Robert Crumb
February 5th 2005

Nice review, good album too.

Tomahawk
February 7th 2005

Really good review dude, I agree with you completely. It's a really solid album.

Distorted Vision
February 7th 2005

'Sexified' review.

This is a strangely good album. Not what I was expecting from a Patton record, to say the least.

Now all I need is a lady ( I was going to say I need an old lady, but that just doesn't sound right).

wheelz
February 10th 2005

dan the automator can't make a bad album.

3rdplanet
August 10th 2005

This album has a superb vibe.

Zappa
August 10th 2005

I was very surprised by this album. Before I heard it, I mostly heard whiny people on the Bungle Fever forum saying it wasn't so good. When I finally listened, though, I found some very listenable and sexy tracks.

Prince of Darkness
February 17th 2006

People ask me why I like this album. My usual responses are:

-It's Patton
-It's I like the vocals
-I like Trip-hop

But mainly, It's Patton. And we all know everything Patton touches turns to solid gold(except for his Solo albums, that's just madness)

Nice review.

claypoolman
March 7th 2006

This album is amazing, you really hit the nail on the head with your review. I can't wait for their new album to come out, I hope it matches the greatness of this one.

DanD
April 2nd 2006

I first looked into this album because, well, Mike Patton was on it. IMO Mike Patton is the weakest link here, which isn't a bad thing.

Jennifer Charles and Dan "The Automator" are amazing on here. This album made me realize how much I love Dan "the Automator," I have a new found respect for that guy. Also, Jennifer Charles has one of the most tantalizing voices I've ever heard.

Reywas
May 12th 2006

wicked album

Iluvatar
February 6th 2007

Awesome album. One of theb est pairs of singers ever to be brought before everything.

monkeywrench
February 16th 2007

This is awesome. And the title of the album is truth.

astrel
May 29th 2007

This album is so damn good. I make love to old ladies all of the time with this playing.

Iluvatar
March 25th 2008

Sexiest album ever

Doppelganger
May 1st 2008

kygermo
September 24th 2008

Cant wait for another Lovage album. Patton and Jennifer Charles have quite the chemistry together.

kingsoby1
September 24th 2008

This is retarded as f*ck

Prophet178
September 16th 2009

Oh man, I just stumbled across this, Patton doing trip hop? I'm 2 tracks in and already predicting a 4-4.5.