Wu-Tang Clan
Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

by AfroMan USER (9 Reviews)
January 31st, 2005 | 56 replies

2) Shame On A Nigga
3) Clan In Da Front
4) Wu-Tang: 7th Chamber
5) Can It Be All So Simple
6) Da Mystery Of Chessboxin'
7) Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthing Ta F' Wit
13) Method Man (Remix) Skunk Mix *Bonus Track*

Singles Released
Protect Ya Neck
Can't It Be All So Simple
Da Mystery of Cheesboxin'

You don't get rap music like this anymore! This is the kind of material that leaves 50 Cent sounding like Britney Spears.

When the critically acclaimed debut from the Clan burst onto the scene, it changed everything. Before, you had gangster rap on the westside of America while on the east you had Def Jam's elite of LL Cool J, Public Enemy, Run DMC etc. Rap was slowly becoming more maintream and widely accepted. Then in 1993, this comes out. Unlike other artists at the time, this wasn't sampling funk records like other artists were. This was dirty and dark and in my opinion marked the start of Hardcore Rap.

The first thing you notice is how raw the tracks sound. It almost sounds as if it's a live recording it's so raw. This doesn't take anything away from the record though, it's probably my favourite thing about the album as it adds to it's eerieness. The rhyme skills are also top drawer with couplets like -
"Throw your shitty drawers in the hamper, next time come strapped with a fucking pamper"
Method Man and Ol' Dirty Bastard shine through with their original style but all eight members of the Clan are on form here. I can't speak highly enough of this record, you'll never hear anything like it again and only get's better with time. Maybe it's not for everyone but if you like alternative, rap or dark music then I seriously recommend you give it a try. One of, if not the greatest rap record of all time.

1. Bring Da Ruckus (4:10)
Starts with a quote from a martial arts movie and seeps into the dark laid back groove. Showcases what the rest of the album has ahead with strange chamber music like beats. The chorus is the songs highlight with the chant of - "Bring the muthafuckin Ruckus!". A gloomy start to a gloomy album. Superb 5/5

2. Shame On A Nigga (2:57)
The introduction of Ol' Dirty Bastard which alone, adds a great contrast from the last song. A more upbeat track with an awesome groove combined with some more sadistic sounding areas. The shortest song on the album but defintley one of the best. 5/5

3. Clan In Da Front (4:33)
A simple but pounding bass line sets the groove with some dark chants. The song then starts with some solid rhymes with most of the Clan involved. Again very dark and dirty but nothing ground breaking. A good album track 3/5

4. Wu-Tang: 7th Chamber (6:05)
Starts with a humorous skit about someone being shot. At first you think this is going to be an upbeat track until the shaolin chimes kick in. More raw and solid rapping over Rza's dark beats. There's not really a chorus to this song but more of a "pass the mic" feel to it. Another decent track but not really anything special. 3/5

5. Can It Be All So Simple (6:53)
Really laid back and relaxed. Marks a break in the hardcore rap beats and introduces a woman vocalist for the first time. A great track although I need to be in a certain mood to really appreciate it. 3.5/5

6. Da Mystery Of Chessboxin' (4.48)
"A game of chess is like a sword fight" opens the track. Has a more ferocious and vicious feel than the earlier tracks and gives ODB a large section. Feels more like a song than a lot of the other songs with it's chorus and verse structure. Great track 4/5

7. Wu-Tang Clan Aint Nutin Ta Fuck Wit (3:36)My favourite track on the album. Really powerful and aggresive, this grabs your attention instantly with it's groove and ferocious rhymes. "Wu Tang Clan aint nutin ta fuck wit!". 5/5

8. C.R.E.A.M (4:12)
Probably the track that'd appeal to the most people. A sampled track with Raekwon rapping about hard times. A really strong track with a solid chorus. Still very dark but would easily make it's way onto the radio. 5/5

9. Method Man (5:50)
"I'll fucking pull your fucking tongue out" claims Method Man as he talks of different ways he's going to torture you. A whole song just for Meth to showcase his skill. Probably the catchiest song on "36 Chambers" and acts as an entry for Meth to produce a solo career. 5/5

10. Protect Ya Neck (4:52)
The first song they released, although in my opinion, far from the best. More dark rapping and beats that deliver slightly better than earlier tracks such as "Clan in Da Front" and "Wu-Tang: 7th Chamber". I think all the members rap on this one and is the first time you really hear U-God's distinctive voice. A rap classic that probably isn't as good as it's made out to be. 4/5

11. Tearz (4:17)
For some reason I always forget about this song. I don't know why as it's awesome. Very different to the other tracks with it's nursery rhyme like groove. The content is quite somber, rapping about losing a close friend and asking why. Another really good song. 4/5

12. Wu-Tang: 7th Chamber - Part II (5:08)
A really groovy track with the same ideas as the first part. Excels the first easily. There are a lot of the same lines but you don't realise as the beat is so different. More upbeat and rhythmic than everything else. A great way to end a great album 4/5

13. Method Man (remix) Skunk Mix (3:12) *Bonus Track*
Just a remix of the original. Just as good and not that much different really. Still gets full marks. 5/5

Just do yourself a favour and go out and buy this album. Im a big Wu-Tang fan so maybe im slightly biased but this is rap at it's best. Nelly and Twista fans stay away this how it was ment to be! An album that no CD collection should be without. Enjoyable from start to finish and one of my favourite albums of all time. Fuckin' Genius 5/5

The Chemical Brothers Dig Your Own HoleLeftfield Leftism
The Notorious B.I.G. Ready to DiePrimal Scream Screamadelica
Pearl Jam VitalogyThe Jam All Mod Cons

February 1st 2005

Rolling Stone gave an album 3.5/5?!? My God, that's never happened before!!!

Kewl review, if a little elitist against mainstream rap.

February 4th 2005

This is a great cd my friend has it and and I love it about to go buy it myself. Cream has to be one of the best songs ever. They are one of the few rap groups I have any respect for.

April 16th 2005

Great review Afroman :thumb:Nice job adding some touches with the Chart/Position Award stuff.

December 20th 2005

Enter the 36 chambers is probably the best rap album ever, and incorporates the untouchable production of the RZA with the eclectic rapping styles of all 9 members of the Wu-Tang Clan. As far as rap goes 5/5.

December 21st 2005

rap is vulgar

December 21st 2005

way to generalize :thumb:

April 15th 2006

I love this album. Great review.

May 13th 2006

i love this album!! my favorite from wtc and one of my favorites of all time..

best song: C.R.E.A.M.

favorite member: method man

The Jungler
May 13th 2006

C.R.E.A.M. is a pretty awesome song, but it's Ghostface ftw (member wise).

May 21st 2006

I feel there is too many skits on it, but everything beyond that is just awesome music to my ears. No real complaints on this one

May 21st 2006

This has got to be one of my favorite hip-hop albums of all time. "C.R.E.A.M." is such a classic song, I love it.

May 27th 2006

That idiot who gave this amazing record one out of five is keeping it down to a four point one.....

...I want to hurt him.

This is one of my all time favourite records, dont care how clichéd that sounds.

May 27th 2006

If any rap album deserves a 5/5, it is this.

Foreskin Fondler
May 27th 2006

do you guys recommend any rap that is similar to Clint Eastwood by the Gorillaz.

May 30th 2006

Album is amazing.

You forgot Masta Killa in your list of the members.

Zesty Mordant
May 30th 2006

Deltron 3030

Tha Alkaholiks

The first two feature Del, who rapped on "Clint Eastwood"

May 31st 2006

Hiero isn't really like that song, but 3030 is probably as close as it'll get.

June 12th 2006

great album an oldie but definetly a goodie, 'da mystery of chessboxin' is easily the best song on the album.

June 25th 2006

Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothing to fuck wit

This album was the start of a legacy. Easily a five star album.

June 26th 2006

wasn't the shame on a nigga track covered by system of a down?..