Leftfield
Leftism

by AfroMan USER (9 Reviews)
January 30th, 2005 | 165 replies | 15,640 views

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Leftfield are now remembered for their track - "Phat Planet" which featured in the popular horses and waves Guiness advert but there is much more to them than that. Being the pioneers of progressive house music, Leftfield opened the door which allowed countless other artists (Faithless, Basement Jaxx, BT etc.) to enter and help re-invent the whole genre of house music. Combining electronica with soul, ambient, dub, reggae and numerous other genres, they produced intelligent dance music which completley blew away the rest of the genre.

After years of legal hassles over the Leftfield name, Paul Daley and Neil Barnes created their own record label(Hard Hands) and were finally able to release their debut album "Leftism" in 1995. A few of the singles were released in the years prior to the albums release with "Open Up" featuring John Lydon(Rotten) being the most successful. The follow up album "Rhythm and Stealth" which followed the path of trip-hop was then released four years later. In 2002 after only two albums, Leftfield decided to split to follow solo careers.

"Leftism" is one of the first electronica records that I purchased and still remains my favourite. Infact, alongside "Dark Side Of The Moon" it was probably one of the first cds that made me realise how magical and innovative music can be. In my early teens I used to get drunk and when I got home, put this album on and lie dazed in my bed into the late hours of the night letting the music take me away into a dream world. The album itself is very sensual and hypnotic throughout which can be seen with tracks such as "Release the Pressure" and "Original". In conjunction, tracks such as "Black Flute" will crumble your speakers with it's pounding bass. Brilliantly consistant throughout, the music is intensley satisfying and fails to ever become tiring or repetitive.

"Leftism" sends you to places the way music is meant to. The weaving rhythms and sublime melodies create a near perfect electronic album and one of, if not the definitive album of the dance genre.

Recommended Tracks:
The album is far better listened to as a whole but "Open Up" and "Afro-Left" shine through.

A must-have album for anyone interested in innovative, sensual and deeply affecting music.

The Chemical Brothers Dig Your Own HoleWu-Tang Clan Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
The Notorious B.I.G. Ready to DiePrimal Scream Screamadelica
Pearl Jam VitalogyThe Jam All Mod Cons
zakalwe (5)
We are going to need a bigger BOSE system...

Eloriaz (5)
Dear Diary: My journey on Leftism Island....

Domhoeker (5)
Gamechanger....

Rhythm And Stealth

Iai
January 30th 2005

It only gets a 4/5 from me, because it loses focus a little too often. Hella cool album though.

June 18th 2010

Sad that after 5 years this only has 1 comment (2 now)

Album needs a better review honestly

Digging: Marcel Dettmann - Fabric 77

November 27th 2010

Just listened to this for the first time yesterday. The whole thing is fucking incredible but the part at 5:21 in Afro-Left when the vocals drop out is too cool.

November 27th 2010

Good to see someone else liking this

November 27th 2010

ive had like no desire to listen to anything that's not at least somewhat electronic recently, this was an awesome find.

November 27th 2010

You should look into their second album, Rhythm And Stealth. Its not quite as good as this, and its a bit more dubby and trippy in parts but still a gem

November 27th 2010

Cool, im far from done with this one but ill check that one out next. I should also mention I've really been digging Clubroot's s/t which i think was a rec you gave me in your devstep list. I had just started watching dexter when I heard embryo so that was pretty cool.

Slipping Away
December 6th 2010

Its amazing this was made in 95', sounds a good 3-5 years ahead of its time and still holds up great nowadays.

December 6th 2010

It holds up better than most of what's out today

Willie

I never heard this one, but I liked Rhythm And Stealth

December 6th 2010

Doesn't get any better than that

Slipping Away
December 6th 2010

I know it really does, been listening to this and New Forms a lot lately.

Bit of Roni Size huh? Nice

Willie, def check that track out

Polymath

July 5th 2011

Yep

liledman
July 5th 2011

only listened to one track, keep forgetting about this.

July 6th 2011

This is the better album, but I do think Rhythm And Stealth is the more accessible album

nicolauz
July 15th 2011

Great album is great. Ok review..

aok
August 28th 2011

whoa this thing's mad good so far

Digging: Aphex Twin - Syro

August 28th 2011

Yep this still rules. Been meaning to check out their other album for so damn long now but I'm a lazy ass.