Head Automatica
Decadence

by USER (1 Reviews)
January 27th, 2005 | 45 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

All right My first review. I know I'm lacking detail seriously, but I can't seem to describe the album in the way that you could feel after you listen to it. So the only suggestion I have after you read this piece of trash review is to listen to some samples by heading to www.headautomatica.com

-edit-So how did i get into this band...Eh, I picked it up. Shopping around Sam Goody for anything new or different. Yes the hot dancer attracted me. But the buy was worth it.

Vocals- Daryl Palumbo
Guitars- Brandon Arnovick and Craig Bonich
Keyboard- Jim Greer
Bass- Josh Holden
Drums- Larry Gorman

A great cock rockin album to dance the night away with. Grab a can of beer while you're at it. I can't say there are similar bands, my selection in music is picky, so I'll leave it up to you.

Track by track, like the predecessors

"At the Speed of a yellow Bullet"
-Awesome High energy song, with a strong funk bass line. It's fast paced and Daryl sings in a way to make it "fun"...not really sure how else to put it. Listen to the damn album. 5/5

"Brooklyn is Burning"
-The pace slows, and the song gets a hip hop feel to it. Larry keeps the drums steady and the guitar sounds great with this, sort of a tweed distortion I think and the keyboards add a great feel to the song, for the few seconds they're played. 4.5/5

"Beating Hearts Baby"
-Pop Genius. Jesus Christ...this makes you wanna swing your mate up and dance the night into oblivion. Romantic pop feel, very different from Daryl's post hardcore style with glassjaw, but who cares?! He's been writing electronica for how long. This song is an incredible masterpiece.
5/5

"Please Please Please (Young Hollywood)"
Great song, awesome rhythm. I almost missed the guitars, I thought it was a sample the first time I heard it. The bass is strong again and Daryl's lyrics are moving, the story in a sense bitter lust. Hence the "let me annoint the lust inside you" Could Daryl be looking for booty? *scratches chin* aside from that the instrumentation is always a pleasure, with new and unusual guitar effects that add a nice tone to the song.
4/5

"King Ceaser"
-I feel as though this is where Daryl returns to his Glassjaw roots, where a self-proclaimed great one is decried lyrically. It's a cool song, with crunching guitar, and it's actually pretty light. The vocals are good, I don't have a particular problem, but it's not quite my favorite song. The lyrics and tone just doesn't strike me.
3/5

"The Razor"
Ah, great song, starts out right away with Daryl singing and some strings strummed shortly. It's really a touching song, the lyrics pull the emotions towards the sad area of the mind
"Dont' say I don't cut when I do, I do, I do.
Don't say I'm lying when I'm true, I'm true, I'm true..Don't say we're healing when it's just not what we do" A great song, really emotional for this album.
4.9/5

"Dance Party Plus"
The hottest song on this CD. It starts off an energetic guitar riff and the WHOLE band comes in strong, with Daryl screaming "Yow!" and the organs firing it up! Larry keeps the tempo up and guess who's featured on this track! The Mars Volta's Omar Rodriguez Lopez and a guy I can't remember his name, but his verse wasn't as energetic as Daryl's. Quite frankly, this is the most highly energized and simplistic song on the album. I give the track a:
4.99/5

"Disco Hades II"
Not a bad song at all, kind of a song to relax after Dance Party Plus. The riffs between after the refrains are quite interesting. Daryl is yipping and the guitars sound really clean. The lyrics in all aren't necessarily moving, but they provide a good story. You should listen and interpret for me. But the musicianship of this song is great so I give it a
4.58/5

"Solid Gold Telephone"
Good song, really it is. Kind of bitter love melody actually. "I fell in love in hell". Perhaps a past relationship gone terribly awry and he channels it lyrically to pass on his legacy to the fans. The piano is really good, the entire song, minus the chorus, has a jazzy lounge feel.

4/5

"Head Automatica Soundsystem"
Wow this song is really close to hip hop. But if you know Daryl, then rest assured, it's not. But it's a good listen. His vocals are really mellow and the guitars and bass that are the backbone of the song hold out on the crazy energy that dominated most of this album. I love this song though.

4.87/5

"I Shot William H. Macy"
Who the hell is this guy? I can't remember... Sorry my history is a bit rusty. Anyways, really hot, high energy tempo, with Daryl's vocals going close to a gentler scream (I say gentler because...well GJ fans know...) The guitars add a great support to his vocals and the bass lays down the track to follow. The drums are steady enough, as Larry keeps the song flowing with his fills. It's a great closer, although a borderline monotonous style at the end, but there's even a message at the end of the song. Wonderful song, wonderful album, Daryl Palumbo is my music idol. for today.
the song gets a 5/5

steveconygre
January 28th 2005

Hey I totally agree with your review, this album is one of the best dance-rock albums around. I've seen indie, rock,pop, "emo" and hardcore kids dancing to this so it definitely has great crossover appeal.

As for the review it's pretty good but maybe you could give a couple of lines to who they sound like, or a list of bands that if you like, you are likely to like this album, but it didn't suck.

Also the guy whose name you forgot is Tim Armstrong of Rancid fame

The_One
January 28th 2005

I liked this album.

Sep
January 31st 2005

Cool review. Beating Heart Baby and The Razor are great songs.

the-UK-ska-scene
January 31st 2005

This is definitely an excellent album

incubus62086
September 21st 2005

William H. Macy is an actor right?

incubus62086
September 21st 2005

good album tho, good review.

(>dragon~guitarist<)
February 14th 2006

so what is the difference between "Tokyo Decadence" and "Decadence"? There are like two different albums, Tokyo has more tracks that I know, but why did they release two different albums?

February 14th 2006

Wiiliam H. Macy is an actor

he was that Kirby guy in jurrasic park 3, and that s the only movie i can think of (though i know he's done more)
good review
amazing band

altrockdude
February 28th 2006

He's in seabiscuit too.

The Jungler
February 28th 2006

I just think its so cool that the singer from Glassjaw and one of the best beatmakers of all time (Automator) have an Alt-Dance band.

I heard the singles and they are pretty good.

March 1st 2006

At The Speed... is an amazing song that i dance to at least once a day lol

Bartaci
April 2nd 2006

I cant wait for the new album :D

masada
June 4th 2006

I listened to the stream of the new album on their MySpace. Unfortunately, I only made it to the sixth track before being severely annoyed and leaving.

Iluvatar
June 4th 2006

I keep meaning to give these guys a listen. But then I remember Dahnce music blows.

June 4th 2006

this isnt just dance though, its like catchy rock that makes you want to dance as a bi-product

any word on the new album?
i cant find it anywhere!, so if anyone wants to send it to me i would be forever in your debt

btw, tokyo decadence has different versions of some (i dunno if all) of the songs

k182hy
July 12th 2006

Pretty good review !!

July 12th 2006

Beating Hearts Baby makes my soul jump for joy.This Message Edited On 11.22.06

TheMisterBungle
December 3rd 2006

I really want this. I love his vocals and this just looks like a fun record.This Message Edited On 12.03.06

IsItLuck?
June 17th 2007

This album destroys popaganda. It's a bit inconsistent towards the end as far as solid tracks are concerned.

astrel
June 6th 2008

Glassjaw owns this band, but I seriously can't stop listening to Beating Hearts Baby.