Amorphis
Am Universum

by Dancin' Man USER (40 Reviews)
January 21st, 2005 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Released 2001 on Relapse Records

This album is a step away from their early albums. It replaces the thick death metal sound with a more progressive rock and roll sound. Fans of Muse, Purcupine Tree and Dredge should like this. Especially Dredg because guess what, there is a saxophone on 5 or 6 tracks. They are most similar though, to the band Katatonia not only in sound but in musical progression. Both bands began at a sort of progressive death metal and molded into a progressive rock. The difference? Katatonia is better. But still, this sounds really great. It has a radio-friendliness to it that is mostly because of the production. It seems to have a few too many effects. The writing has some really great parts too but some are lacking. It seems to be a bit of give or take. The one terrible production fault is fade-outs. Not normal fade-outs but warp speed ones that sound like someone just turned down the volume. Those fade-outs lower the ranking by at least a .5, maybe more. Often times it seems like the tracks are just cut short because the fade-out isn't in a logical spot.

The singer's voice is one thing I really like. It has almost no metal in it because the old singer quit. Another thing I like is how there are lots of effects but not because of constant sampling by the producer, the keyboardist takes care of it. The guitars are often though, over effected. To the point where they are simply making keyboard sounds which is cool sometimes and necessary in a band without a keyboardist, but seems to happen a bit too often. They also though play some great classic rock and roll riffs. The guitars are the place where one can best hear the metal roots. The pinch harmonics and rare solos are the best evidence.

Overall, this album is not great, but worth a listen. I'd first recommend albums like Elegy and Tales from the Thousand Lakes.

Recommended tracks would be Too Much to See, Drifting Memories, Crimson Wave (funny 80's easy listening section at the end), The Night is Over

Recommended Bands (for this album only) - Dredg, Muse, Porcupine Tree, Katatonia

Verse AggressionTool 10,000 Days
Found Dead Hanging Dulling Occam's RazorJob for a Cowboy Doom
Me and Him Call It Us The (C:) Drive Of Love StoriesEphel Duath The Painter's Palette
3.1
good

Iai
January 21st 2005

A good example of how to write a short review without being lazy and short-changing the album. Nicely done.

I have Alone on a mix CD a friend made me a while back. I don't rate it much. On a bizarre note, though, this review has reminded me to check out Anathema, who were also on that CD, and who kept getting mixed up with Amorphis for the longest time.

I also don't think too highly of what I've heard of Dredg and Porcupine Tree, to be honest.

Dancin' Man
January 21st 2005

I heart Porcupine Tree, Dredg and Anathema. On slsk I'm sharing a bunch of Anathema. Also, I realized, Katatonia is similar to this band in their musicla progression and sound, but better.

mothergoose
May 16th 2009

"Especially Dredg because guess what, there is a saxophone on 5 or 6 tracks." I never really noticed much saxophone in Dredg's music... am I missing something? Ulver on the other hand... those Norwegians love the sax I'm told.

Nagrarok
May 16th 2009

I didn't notice that much saxophone in dredg's music either.

fireaboveicebelow
May 16th 2009

Ulver uses lots of brass

Willie

So does Solefald.

Digging: Skrew - Universal Immolation

fireaboveicebelow
May 16th 2009

I'm beginning to learn that as well

I think Bathory uses lots of brass Hammerheart and onwards

Wizard
May 17th 2009

19493 Comments

Hammerheart is sexy. This, not so much.

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

TRMshadow
May 12th 2010

What's with the crap ratings for this. Yeah it's not "Elegy" or "Silent Waters" but it's still a fairly enjoyable record!

porcupinetheater
March 13th 2011

Good review. I do find it a tad ironic that you said the album wasn't great, and 3.5 is registered as great in the ratings system.

Digging: Meth Drinker - Meth Drinker

Pankar95
June 6th 2011

Great record. And i like that it adds more variety to the whole Amorphis discography.

GwyntTywyll
September 4th 2011

This is the best Amorphis album of its style. Meaning, it's better than Tuonela and Far From The Sun

PiedradeLuna
July 24th 2014

I wouldn't say it's better than Tuonela but probably on par. There are some good songs on this. The opening two tracks still have that Amorphis guitar melody of albums of old... albeit at a much slower pace.