Symphony X
The Divine Wings of Tragedy

by sting-ray USER (4 Reviews)
January 19th, 2005 | 32 replies

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Produced by Steve Evetts and Eric Rachel in 1997, the incredible 5-piece progressive power symphonic band [Symphony X] released The Divine Wings of Tragedy. This album was at last their first album that showed the true capabilities of the amazing New Jersey band.

Symphony X is:

Fast Facts
  • Founded in 1994 in New Jersey, USA
  • The band was initially a solo project of Romeo's
  • They are set to release an album sometime in 2005
  • Former members include Rod Tyler [1994-1995], Thomas Miller [1994-1998], Thomas Walling [1998-1998]

Track Analysis
  • Of sins and shadows(4:58)- A heavy riff cracks open the album. This is a nice song that has a good management of keyboards and guitars although there are some odd transitions between riffs. Around the midway point some interesting backing vocals are featured and immediately after, Michael Romeo takes over with a tough solo but only to make way for a solid keyboard solo. This track is overall mediocre if you are not in a specific mood to listen to it.
  • Sea of Lies(4:18)- Starts off with a cool bass line, and then into some heavy power chords. The singing is quite good and consistant in this track, and the lyrics are for the most part well-written. Then we have the cool keyboard solo courtesy of pinnella. After that, Pinnella and Romeo trade off solos for about a minute. An overall solid track.
  • Out of the ashes(3:39)- The track has a high-paced intro and keeps this characteristic generally throughout the song. Instrumentally this song is mediocre, and vocally the chorus is well organised and sounds very nice, however the lyrics do not have similarities with the usual Symphony X songs.
  • The Accolade(9:51)- Talk about soothing. This song is one of the better songs on the album. A very relaxing violin part followed by some calming keyboards really hits the spot. The transitions are very smooth and the vocals complement the intruments very well. The lyrics are very nicely written and verses like chorus sound good. If you liked "Communion and the Oracle"(another Symphony X song), you will surely enjoy this track.
  • Pharaoh(5:28)- This is a cool track. Very mystical, but the chorus might be a tad disappointing. Nothing extraordinary comes about, until about the halfway point where we get some nice variation.
  • The eyes of medusa(5:26)- If you pay attention to the keyboards at the beginning, it will definately enhance the track. Keyboards are definately well done. This is also one of the better songs as it is very consistant and coherent. The vocals and lyrics are pretty cool. The song appears to be a story about the mythological Medusa. Around the 4:00 mark the song takes a turn and a soothing instrumental part takes over periodically.
  • The witching hour(4:15)- A great introduction, as Romeo demonstrates his talents. This is a great song. You really get the mystical vibe of the song, and it does not tend to bore. Good lyrics and Music - one of the better songs.
  • The Divine Wings of tragedy(20:41)- Yes, the boys managed to fit a 20:00 track onto an already solid album. A choir opens the epic to give a medieval vibe to the listener. We get a dry spell of solos and heavy chording until about the 4:00 mark. Now comes a nice, soothing collaboration involving Romeo and Pinnella, and this goes on for a few minutes slowly progressing until Allen joins in for the first time. Then a shift to heavier singing and riffing takes place while occasionally revisiting that same soothing progression from 4:00. From 9:30 to 11:00 we have more soloing and heavy riffing... but this time when Allen joins in, much more aggression is shown. Then from 17:00 to the end, the song settles down and we get some nice, but brief solos acompanied by some smooth acoustic chording. A great ending. Overall the lyrics are very good in this song, and it is mostly well done considering its time span.
  • Candlelight Fantasia(6:45)- This is one of my favourite songs on the album. A calming opening is the key. The vocals and lyrics are both nicely handled and the music stays at a level at which the mind can cleanse and relax. Consistancy is not a problem here. This is bound to be one of the few songs on the album that you might like instantly due to the fact that it is not too "wild".

Positive and Negative Aspects of the Album
  • Positive
- This is very high-quality music
- Not much "filler"
- Lyrics and even music give a mystical atmosphere
- Fans of the genre will like this album highly
  • Negative
- Too much listening can drive you crazy
- Some tracks seem to have odd aspects such as the lyrics, riffs,etc.
- Not all tracks have the same level of catchyness or attractive melody

Rating

4/5

4.2
Brendan Schroer (4.5)
On the edge of paradise......

Jorn van Schaïk (4.5)
Is it epic? Yes. Is it pretentious? Yes. Is it technical? Yes. Is it heavy? Yes. Is it a motherfucki...

Sir Grigor Domashevich (4)
Symphony X, the power/prog metal band, gets a huge kick start with their masterpiece, The Divine Win...

Dancin' Man
January 20th 2005

I've heard this album and am still not a huge fan of power prog but this is good. Of course, it sounds the same as any other Symphony X or Stratovarious album to me though.

The Haitian
February 6th 2005

nice review. if i get around to it i will review the other albums

Kingofdudes
February 6th 2005

Meh, it is the song that got me into them :-/ Good review

King Buzzo
July 16th 2005

Yeah, me too

slaybial-destructor
July 20th 2005

sea of lies was the song that got me into them... thats awesome song just awesome! too awesome for proper gramar!

Shattered_Future
July 20th 2005

Good review, overall, but how is Of Sins And Shadows mediocre?

That's one of my favorite songs by them...

Meh, to each his own.

Priestmetal
August 12th 2005

hmm... Divine Wings of Tragedy sounds a hell of a lot like Sad Wings of Destiny. Im not saying they ripped off Judas Priest but thats REALLY weird or coincidental.

October 6th 2005

Just got this album last week, it's pretty good prog metal. The vocals wear on you after a while, but the music is nonstop awesomeness.

Priestmetal
November 29th 2005

Eyes of Medusa owns.

Txus
April 1st 2006

I don't agree with you in some statements, but it's a good review nevertheless. I think this is arguably their best album to date, together with 'The Oyssey'. The title song is a true epic with over 20 minutes of total bliss and musical genius. The album is powerful, beautiful and (after a few listens) very catchy and accessible. Progressive power-metal is a difficult combination to execute, but thankfully for the classically-oriented Michael Romeo, this band pulls it off perfectly. The album is monumental!

April 1st 2006

You also have to like "Out of the Ashes" just for being incredibly. I can't get over that really poppy but good chorus.

10th man down
April 2nd 2006

This is the album which got me into Symphony X, I think it's one of the bands most outstanding points. They pwn!

Catula
April 17th 2006

Call me nice about rating albums good, but this is good stuff here.

April 21st 2006

Michael Romeo simply amazes me whenever I hear him play.

Remial4
May 22nd 2006

I don't have this album but i gt a lision of Accolade, OSAS and Eyes of Medusea n they are all very awsome. I've heard some other Symphony X stuf aswell but those 3 tracks PWN!

Lunarfall
September 21st 2006

I just got this tonight. I'm liking it so far. I'm expecting to give it 4.5, but we'll see.

eug008
October 5th 2006

Great album, TDWOT is an awsome song.

Lunarfall
October 9th 2006

I really should've rated this ages ago, but I like this album a lot.

Atica
November 21st 2006

Amazing album, TDWOT and Sea of Lies are my favorite tracks of it.

Altmer
October 18th 2007

This album is fucking amazing.