TV on the Radio
Young Liars


5.0
classic

Review

by Luxor USER (6 Reviews)
January 18th, 2005 | 11 replies


Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist


"Young Liars" is TV On The Radio's debut EP. It was realeased on "Touch & Go" records in 2003. Since then, they've released one LP which came out in 2004, by the name of "Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes".

In my eyes, "Young Liars" is an absolutely flawless EP. All 5 tracks are breathtaking. DYBB on the other hand, was a bit of a let down. It has a lot of great tracks, but it lacks consitancy.

If I had to define the genre that TV On the Radio would fit into, I would most likely go with "electronic/post-punk".

To fully understand the greatness of TV On The Radio, it's necessary to perhaps, liten past the simplicity of the music. Many songs solely consist of simple synthesizer loops, overtop of a reppetitive drum beats. What really attracts people to their sound, are the vocals.

The bottom line is, that Tunde Adebimpe (vocalist) has an amazing voice. "Mr Grieves", a cover of the Pixies track, is an excellent example. They make this an interesting track, using no instruments whatsoever. Only vocal overdubs.

Then again, all of TV On The Radio songs use some sort of vocal overdubbing or backup vocals, and they do it excellently. TV On The Radio are definately one of the best new bands to come around in the past few years, and I think they plan on staying for a while.

I highly suggest people to pick this EP up, download it even, just give them a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed.



Recent reviews by this author
Dashboard Confessional Summers Kiss EPCursive The Ugly Organ
The Shins Chutes Too NarrowDeath Cab for Cutie Transatlanticism
Refused The Shape of Punk to Come
user ratings (116)
Chart.
4.1
excellent
other reviews of this album
(4)
TV on the Radio constructs a sound neither set in any pre-conceived genre or idea...


Comments:Add a Comment 
Tomahawk
January 19th 2005


124 Comments


I love this album, it's brilliant. Every track is gold. I agree with your review 99% (The other 1% = I don't think that DYBB was a let down).

Good review too... maybe a bit short, but then, there's only so much you can say about an EP.

Luxor
January 19th 2005


166 Comments


Yeah, I was really into the review at first. Then got a little side tracked and kind of, gave up. I agree, it sould be a longer. Perhaps when I find the time I'll add some more stuff.

Thanks for the input.

Tyler
Emeritus
July 16th 2008


7926 Comments

Album Rating: 4.0

I've had the "Mr. Grieves" cover on repeat for a good 20 minutes. This needs a proper review, it's a fucking outstanding EP.

willfellmarsy
July 9th 2009


3849 Comments

Album Rating: 2.0

this is alright...

patroneyes
November 27th 2010


1919 Comments

Album Rating: 4.5

possibly my favorite tv on the radio release

DoubtGin
December 4th 2010


6752 Comments

Album Rating: 4.5

didnt know they were so good

Gyromania
April 7th 2011


15941 Comments


This is fantastic. I didn't like the "Mr. Grieves" cover at first, but I came around quickly.

jefflebowski
September 2nd 2014


8255 Comments


wow these guys peaked early didn't they

NorthernSkylark
September 2nd 2014


3904 Comments


no, they are still awesome.



Digging: Jamie xx - Girl/Sleep Sound

jefflebowski
September 2nd 2014


8255 Comments


absolutely (though i'd say 9 types of light is extremely patchy) but i think this is their best work,
mr greives is incredible

mryrtmrnfoxxxy
September 2nd 2014


13380 Comments


desperate youth is my fav

Digging: The Smith Street Band - Throw Me In The River



You have to be logged in to post a comment. Login | Create a Profile





FAQ // STAFF & CONTRIBUTORS // SITE FORUM // CONTACT US

Bands: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


Site Copyright 2005-2014 Sputnikmusic.com
All Album Reviews Displayed With Permission of Authors | Privacy Policy