Duffy
Rockferry

by Nick Butler EMERITUS
May 18th, 2008 | 39 replies | 9,707 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This particular precocious British soul starlet turns out to be worth the hype.

It's surely redundant at this point to draw attention to the fact that popular music moves in circles. Revivalism against invention, modernism against postmodernism, acclaim against mass appeal, innovators against followers - one of the best things about popular music is that all these forces work against each other without ever really syncing up in any meaningful way, which allows people to follow their own paths and create their own identity by judging for themselves where they stand in relation to these forces.

Largely, of course, people like to align themselves with the innovators, the originals. It makes people feel better about themselves, allows them to trick themselves into believing that they're into some big secret that nobody else knows about. Everybody knows underground bands with fans like that, but it's no less true for the mainstream, which is why Duffy arrives at the table with all the chips already stacked against her. She's white, she's British (Welsh, specifically), she's a soul singer, she's got a world-weary voice, and her music owes as much (if not more) to the trends of the '70s as it does to those of the '00s. Amy Winehouse already did this a couple of years ago, right?

And yet, we'd be making a mistake by lumping Duffy in with similarly derivative versions of mainstream sensations (think Starsailor, or The Fray, or The Time, or Badfinger, or Katie Melua, or Silverchair, or anybody else dismissed for doing something somebody else had already done pretty well). That's because when somebody compares a new artist to an established one, even one established with credentials as dubious as those of Winehouse, we're conditioned to expect that the new artist will come off worse. Remember, people inherently want to like the original model. This situation, however, is different, because Duffy is just as good a singer as Winehouse, and Rockferry, on a song for song level, is better than Back to Black. Nowhere is this more evident than "Stepping Stone".

"Stepping Stone" might just be my song of the year. It's the kind of dark, sweeping soul that soundtracks breakups in films too good to use songs by The Calling, and yet, it's so good that if it were released in the '60s it'd have attained a similar legendary status to that of James Carr's eternally brilliant "Dark End Of The Street". Like that song, it's moody, bruised, and quietly defiant, standing as strong as its possible to stand in the immediate aftermath of heartbreak. The personal touch in Duffy's vocal turn - somewhat showy, but always subservient to the song's meaning - sells it the way it deserves to be sold. It's a gem of a song on every level. And it's just one sign of the strength of this album that this song, brooding and deep as it is, is immediately followed, without warning, by "Syrup & Honey". Performed largely with just a warm electric guitar, it's a delicate, sunny track that might be dismissed as a throwaway by some extremely cynical listeners - yet, to take its lightness of touch to mean insignificance would be to miss the point entirely. "Syrup & Honey" is a classic soul song that makes absolutely no attempt to be a classic soul song, and in a business where every songwriter wants every one of their songs to be heard right now and remembered forever, it's hard to capture just how refreshing that is.

"Hanging On Too Long" and "Mercy" complete the album's peerless middle section. The former is lightly symphonic to the point of being nearly Curtis-esque, while the latter you'll know if you live in the UK, seeing how it shot to #1 in the singles charts with absolutely no prior warning. "Mercy" actually sees Duffy turn in her worst vocal performance of the whole album, but the song succeeds anyway, being just the right mixture of modern sass and classic songwriting nous to succeed. It's almost too obvious - the "Stand By Me" bass, the "Light My Fire" organ - but I'll be damned if it doesn't work.

Those four tracks are the four best here, yet it remains impressive how well Duffy sustains her maturity throughout the record, and how well the musicians conjure a soul sound that ties itself to every decade at once without sounding dated. It's a neat trick; observe how even a simple track like "I'm Scared" is difficult to place in the genre's history, just as the requisite epic "Distant Dreamer" could have been as easily sung by Aretha Franklin as Julie Andrews. "Warwick Avenue" could even imaginably have been the work of Blue is The Colour-era The Beautiful South, or McAlmont & Butler. The musicians involved in making this, Duffy included (and McAlmont & Butler included, oddly), deserve much credit for being unafraid to acknowledge their influences and their place in history, and also for resisting the temptation to simply imitate.

In short, Rockferry doesn't sound like a debut album in the slightest. It's far too mature, intelligent, and restrained for that. For once, the mainstream critics (one laughable reveiew in the NME aside) have got this spot on. Duffy is a major talent, and Rockferry is little short of outstanding.

Scott Walker Bish BoschEmilie Autumn Fight Like A Girl
Susanne Sundfor The Silicone VeilPepe Deluxe Queen of the Wave
3.3
Dylan S. (4)
Rockferry is a classic example of music that works. There are no cheap gimmicks or overproduction, i...

March 25th 2008

I'll qualify this by saying this a reasonably lenient 4/5, but it's one of those situations where as soon as I apply any sort of critical faculty I find myself even more impressed. It didn't feel right writing this and then putting it under a 3.5.

But yeah, great album, and "Stepping Stone" really is that good.

Tyler
March 25th 2008

The hype must not have crossed over the pond yet, but I'll look into this.

March 25th 2008

[quote]being unafraid to acknowledge their influences and their place in history, and also for resisting the temptation to simply imitate.[/qoute]

Its highly debateable whether they succeeded.This Message Edited On 03.26.08This Message Edited On 03.26.08This Message Edited On 03.26.08

Iluvatar
March 25th 2008

I am interested in this now.
Good review.

Eliminator

2067 Comments

what this isnt hilary duff
LAME

plane

reveiew

March 25th 2008

hermitfaggot: try reading the rest of that sentence.

planewreck: the firefox spellcheck missed that somehow :-/

March 26th 2008

hermitfaggot: try reading the rest of that sentence.

I cant be arsed This Message Edited On 03.26.08

sickjesus
March 26th 2008

awesome, my rating has pulled it down to a more realistic average.
good review, but this chick's success is down to 99% hype and 1% tunes IMHO

Rockferry, on a song for song level, is better than Back to Black.
i thought for a second there you'd compared it to Back In Black for some reason, i was about to fuck shit up.
Edit: also, much as i hate to admit it, the NME was right on the money in their review. duffy is balls. This Message Edited On 03.26.08

March 26th 2008

I don't know how you can possibly be listening to the same album as me and thinking it's only worth 1/5. Oh well, this is way better than Back in Black at any rate.
[quote=moron]LOL! ****should I ask permission before commenting based on my opinion from now on?
I cant be arsed[/quote]
You deliberately misquoted me in order to make an entirely redundant point that was already addressed in the review just three words later. If you insist on being an idiot, be prepared to have people call you on it.

sickjesus
March 26th 2008

i don't know how you can possibly be listening to the same album as me and thinking it's better than Back In Black

March 26th 2008

Didn't mean to misquote you ,sorry. I appreciate you addressed the point,my opinion differed is all.

I'm fully prepared for people to call me out as an idiot !!

Big Baby Jesus
May 15th 2008

HADOUKEN!!

I have a hard time believing this is as good as the hype it gets, but I'm certain I'll give it a try.This Message Edited On 05.15.08

xmattxhardcore
May 16th 2008

Stepping Stone was surprisingly good... I though this would sound like crap. I'll have to check into the rest.

Spare
May 17th 2008

The single is possibly the most annoying this I've heard this year. Please tell me the rest is better. Also, I was expecting the words "Amy" and "Whinehouse" to come up at least 50 times.

Spare
May 17th 2008

orly?

May 18th 2008

The rest is better. By single I assume you meant "Mercy" rather than "Warwick Avenue", and by "this year", you meant "this year apart from Mika"?

brandtweathers
May 19th 2008

2007 Comments

yes, i ****ing love starbucks

slep
May 19th 2008

Excellent review Iai. I actually like Mercy, so I'm going to look into this.

timbo8
May 21st 2008

hmm im really conflicted over whether or not to get this