Heaven Shall Burn
Iconoclast (Part 1: The Final Resistance)

by Kyle Ward STAFF
May 17th, 2008 | 89 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

“Forever and always, there are warriors walking this earth- throughout all times and eras, amid all civilizations. Ever so silent and solitary, still unrecognized and beyond recognition. Nether books, sagas, nor ballads told their stories and no stone ever bore their names. Their killing fields do not touch any horizon, their weapons do not dip into any waters or fires, their blades are only hardened by man’s flaming hope and their iced heart’s cold.”

Heaven Shall Burn is a band which revolves around a firm set of principles. They have their opinions, and quite frankly they are not ones to be changing their minds. Whether these principles are shown through their music or through their unusually societal influenced lyrics, they stay the course through anything which may be thrown at them. It’s in this belief of standing up for what is right and what you so blindly believe in where Heaven Shall Burn takes their musical styling. Since 2000’s Whatever It May Take, their sound has evolved little, for better or worse depending on your point of view. However, within this strand of unchanging tendencies and uncompromising songwriting, Heaven Shall Burn have tackled some of the biggest real world issues, past and present, which not many bands in today’s world even touch upon.

The idea of an iconoclast is based on the idea of never going down quietly. It has been a revolving theme around nearly every single Heaven Shall Burn album since the band first formed. These iconoclasts take many forms, whether it be the underground society known as “The White Rose”, which refused to acknowledge the ideals of Nazi Germany and took it upon themselves to educate others about the atrocities of the Nazi party.

All but one member of “The White Rose” were executed by the very people they sought to expose.

It’s with stories like these that Heaven Shall Burn’s lyrics point out such strong viewpoints. The feeling of hopeless anguish simply envelops you as the piano chords of the intro “Awoken” bear down. It’s a moment in which the stage is set for everything that is to come, because there is simply no break in the relentless music until 48 minutes later when the final two instrumental tracks close it in the same vein as it was opened. Sure, the music sounds the same during many of the songs, but the thing with that is the way in which Heaven Shall Burn space the really melodic tracks throughout the album, making the listener almost always interested. You can take the more melodic tracks such as “Endzeit”, “A Dying Ember”, “Black Tears”, and “The Bombs Of My Saviours” and notice their positioning in the album. It’s the perfect mix of heavy and melodic tracks which makes this rather lengthy album flow so well.

The formula upon which Heaven Shall Burn create their music hasn’t really changed since Deaf To Our Prayers, but for some reason sounds much more mature than it ever has before. More refined, better production, more interesting and distinct songs, it all plays a part in what makes this album so solid. There is even a cover of Edge Of Sanity’s “Black Tears” integrated into the album, which is a great choice since it not only adds an insane amount of melodies to the album, it fits perfectly in with the entire theme of the album. Throughout, the guitars will sneak in a melody which will undoubtedly catch your attention since it contrasts so much with the more straightforward crushing riffs. Case in point: the heavy track “The Bombs Of My Saviours”. It deals with a very real topic in today’s fight against terrorism, and that aggression and anger toward this topic is certainly conveyed well, but there is a riff during the chorus which just slams you with a sense of hopelessness and a shocking feeling of helplessness as Marcus Bischoff screams:

I watch it burn, my Fatherland
To blood red skies I pray
Impatiently I wait, I’m waiting for the end
As I hail the bombs of my saviours.

It’s an almost surreal feeling which Heaven Shall Burn so well convey with this album. That’s where this sense of maturity and shocking realism comes from, their uncanny ability to write about things which will make you just sit back and think. It comes on different levels of both straight up heaviness and calmer melodies, like the one mentioned above. “Murderers Of All Murderers” is a heavy, heavy song which does nothing but slam you with it’s message, all the while “A Dying Ember” uses its soft, melodic bridges to plea with you to listen to what is being said. The contrast here is just stunning.

Everything from the vocals (which, for the record, I think are amazing) to the songwriting to the instrumental performance, this album is just something to marvel at. This is easily Heaven Shall Burn’s best effort, I’m sure many fans of the band will agree. Sure, it may seem a bit old after 4 or 5 albums of this, but to me it still sounds as fresh as when I first heard this band. I’m sure if you take the time to listen to the album in its entirety and digest what it is Heaven Shall Burn is trying to get across, you too will be completely taken aback by the amazing level of realism and maturity which is hidden amidst the chaos.

“Tortured, betrayed, and murdered, now buried in forgotten grounds. Nothing can be done to change it and there will be no words of consolation. Revenge is all that is left. Their wrath has dawned and war begun, a war all by themselves to fight a world of murderers, the final resistance…… The Iconoclast”

Recommended Tracks

Horrendous EcdysisIn Flames Siren Charms
Panopticon Roads to the NorthEmpyrium The Turn of the Tides
Wolves in the Throne Room CelestiteAgalloch The Serpent and the Sphere
LysergicLollypops (3.5)
Warning: Listening to album may give listeners an overwhelming urge to march out into an epic battle...

Damrod EMERITUS (4)
Let's put it simple: this is the best Heaven Shall Burn to date. Period....

jebatarjunakee (4)
Heaven Shall Burn continue to make headway with another strong showing....

Enjoy. Great album.

March 7th 2008

Wasn't there a review of this or was it just me? Another great review though, and still need to get this soon but the streaming was pretty good. Marcus is my favorite metalcore vocalist with out a doubt.

Digging: Pink Turns Blue - If Two Worlds Kiss

March 7th 2008

Yes there was, not sure why it was deleted and turned into a soundoff.

Wizard

19607 Comments

So you think Opeth gets repeditive quickly and not this? hahaha
Your opinion is backed up well. Excellent review.
Its not as long as your other reviews, which is kind of strange....oh well!

I found this album to be a generic piece of shit. They haven't matured at all since Anitgone. This Message Edited On 03.07.08

Digging: Full Of Hell & Merzbow - Full Of Hell & Merzbow

March 7th 2008

Heh, Opeth is very different from this band. I've loved their sound ever since I first heard Antigone, it's not getting old for me.

combustion07
March 7th 2008

This was a 4.5 for me at first, it went down alot but this is still a good album.

ninjuice
March 7th 2008

Damrod reviewed this, for some reason it was deleted.
Nice job Crysis. Been wanting the album for quite awhile.

Ire
March 7th 2008

I heard the cover of Black Tears, it was pretty bad. But I'm still interested in this band. Great review.

ASberg
March 8th 2008

Thinking of getting this. good job btw crysis.

rasputin
March 8th 2008

Your reviews are always so epic :D

Thanks everyone.

I heard the cover of Black Tears, it was pretty bad.

Really?!? Why do you think it was bad? I've heard the original, this one, and the Eternal Tears Of Sorrow one and besides the original, this one is my favorite.

Willie
March 8th 2008

I found this album to be a generic piece of ****. They haven't matured at all since Anitgone.
I agree with Wizard.
Your reviews are always so epic
... and I also agree with Rasputin.

Digging: Kenn Nardi - Dancing With the Past

DBlitz
March 9th 2008

Pretty good, but it might wear off as fast as Antigone

March 9th 2008

Just saw the video of Endzeit, brilliant. They have to be one of the most ferocius live acts today. I'd pay a bunch of money to circle pit to Voice Of The Voiceless, or any of their songs for this matter.

March 9th 2008

The Endzeit video is awesome.

March 9th 2008

It basically addresses terrorism in a society which is not in the middle east.

March 9th 2008

It's probaly too deep for you to understand, jk. But HSB's lyrics have always stood out to me and on this album it's brilliant. Album is crushing and epic, just the way I like it.

March 11th 2008

Sick album but this doesn't have an immediate standout track like Voice Of The Voiceless or Numbing The Pain, or The Dream Is Dead. I love the end of the video of Endzeit when the Swat break through and cuff HSB and then the last second gets chaotic. Awesome. HSB, ftw.

Driven9
April 2nd 2008

all i have to say is antigone was sweet. but against what i was hopeing for, this really wasn't any different. they continue to have a very stagnant sound, except for a few moments of course. oh well, still a decent band and maybe they will find a bit more complex melodies down the road.

Dreamerdude26
May 4th 2008

I had never listened to HSB before this album so to me this sounds completely fresh. Being a lyric writer I usually look at the lyrics first when listining to an album and these lyrics are awesome. Now I just need to find a way into their back catalogue.