Anglagard
Hybris

by Miler97402 USER (1 Reviews)
February 21st, 2008 | 60 replies | 10,864 views

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Review Summary: In conclusion, this is truly a classic of prog rock that needs to be in your collection.

These Swedes were responsible for giving the sagging prog rock scene a new kickstart. It's really hard to believe that the members of Änglagård were all between the ages of 17 (drummer Mattias Olsson) and 24 (guitarist Tord Lindman), meaning they were too young to participate, or not even born yet, during the glory days of prog rock. It's easy to see how this group took the prog world by storm. If you were turned off by Marillion and their contemporaries, this group came around acting as if neo-prog never existed. Keyboardist Thomas Johnson would lay it on thick with Hammond organ and Mellotron, giving the Mellotron the spotlight it hadn't seen since the late '70s. They had two guitarist, Tord Lindman and Jonas Engdegård and a lot of their playing is in the Steve Hackett or Anthony Phillips style of playing (alternating between electric and acoustic). Mattias Olsson, just 17 at the time, is regarded as one of the finest drummers the prog scene had in recent years, he not only had a regular drumset, but tons of percussion of all kinds, the kind to make Neil Peart jealous. And Hybris, released in 1992, gives you little reminders of its 1990s origins, with heavily complex arrangements and complete avoidance of digital equipment (Thomas Johnson wouldn't touch a Yamaha DX-7 with a ten foot pole, and for good reason). And believe me, this album is not easy going, you need to listen to it many times to get it. The first cut, "Jordröck" sounds a whole lot like SFF's Symphonic Pictures, letting the whole world know what one of their big influences were. Another goes to American group Cathedral and their wonderful 1978 album Stained Glass Stories, who often did a similar approach to Änglagård, some 15 years before, although Änglagård would include Nordic influences in their music, and there are not many vocals (what little vocals there are, which are in Swedish, wasn't the high point, but they are only brief).

And thanks to this group, it's little wonder contemporaries like Anekdoten and Landberk received attention, and later on, groups like Sinkadus and Norway's Wobbler. And I'm certain Spock's Beard and the Flower Kings would not have received the success they had were it not for the '90s prog revival.

4.2

jrowa001
February 22nd 2008

i have this album, and it is really good. in fact i love it. great to see this album reviewed. unfortunately like most prog rock albums other than Porcupine Tree, Pink FLoyd, Rush, and King Crimson, this review will be looked over. its a shame

TheStarclassicTreatment
February 22nd 2008

I downloaded this yesterday after seeing this review and I gotta say, sweet stuff man.

hermitspancho
February 22nd 2008

I haven't given prog rock much of a chance ,I'll check these out.Good review man

September 2nd 2010

Any fan of early Yes should definitely give this a listen.

12052 Comments

wow I never noticed Anglagard were on the database. Band is really not easy to get into, but once you're in, what a journey it is. Jordrok and Kung Bore are the tits. Ganglat fran Knapptibble (bonus track on the remastered cd) is gorgeous as well.

AngelofDeath
October 1st 2010

Never even heard of them, but this sounds like something I'll have to check out.

Yes Angel, please do.

tylerdurdenpt
November 2nd 2011

Definitely one of the best prog albums ever.

AngelofDeath
November 6th 2011

Yeah, it's pretty gewd.

November 6th 2011

12052 Comments

Yeah I enjoy a lot Anglagard. I enjoy still more a more lighter, much less bombastic version of this, but so heartfelt; and I named Sinkadus. Album is called Cirkus.

Bobby2586
March 31st 2012

Great prog album. Almost want to give it a 5!

HitlerIsGod
March 31st 2012

cant believe this awesome album only has one page of comments.

March 31st 2012

I know. It deserves more renown than it gets.

cjgone
June 1st 2012

Ifran Klarhet Till Klarhet is awesome.

June 1st 2012

12052 Comments

There's a bonus track on the remastered CD called Ganglat fran Knapptibble which is my favorite, Jordrok being a close second.

MarvinLapsus
July 1st 2012

Just listened to Kung Bore and it sounded great. I'll be digging this album deeper as soon as I can.

TheNotrap
July 17th 2012

Interesting 70's prog revival.

YankeeDudel