Radiohead
Amnesiac

by USER (2 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 38 replies | 5,529 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

All around, this cd kicks ***(if you like radiohead)

On track one, drummer phil selway starts out banging on something that i cant tell if its a iron pot or the side of a kettle drum. It later continues with an almost monotone vocal in the chorus with the line GET OFF MY CASE. Toward the end there a really messed up music break, with some pingy thing. Overall, welll rounded track.

On track two, Pyramid Song, it starts with a soft piano part with strings in the background, soon followed by a long drawn out almost howl sorta noise made by Thom Yorke(vocals). The time signature is very confusing, and there is a lovely climax of strings and piano at the end.

3: Pulk/pull revolving doors
This song is...well...different. Mostly a complex drum loop, really heavy bass, and a morphed vocal rambing on the subject of doors. Occasionally a completely out of place bar thrown in. Will definitly work your subwoofer pretty well.

4: You and whose army:
Starts off with a fast inhale. Beginning verses are constructed of an almost trebleless guitar, and bass. After a while though, things start getting a little more complicated. A driving piano part leads the way toward the end, with Thom singing some nearly unintellibigle vocal. Enjoyable track.

5: I might be wrong
Starts off with what i think is a keyboard, soon joined by a very driving guitar riff, and phil pounding away on a set of electronic drums. Bass echos guitar here, playing simple and with the beat, like colin greenwood(bass) does alot of times. Musical escalation followed by a pretty ending solo, ending with a bass drum kick. Very satisfying as well.

6 Knives Out
A full band performance all the way through. Thom, Jonny Greenwood(lead guitar), and Ed O'brian(guitar) are all on guitars on this one. Thoughout most of the song, the bass is darting around what all the others are playing. Most of the song is a relentless wave of sound, pouring out of your speakers. Beautiful arpeggios, and a decent vocal too. The claves in the chorus add a nice effect too.

7 Morning Bell/Amnesiac
This song is disturbing. Very dark and heavy. When i first heard it, I thought it sounded vaguely like something you would hear in the background of a movie when the character is in a graveyead. Depressing lyrics on the subject of divorce add a little more to the depressingness. Towards the end, it lightens up just a little with a pleasing bassline. Its an interesting peice, esp. with the phrase cut the kids in half thrown in.

8: Dollars and cents
My personal favorite. A sorta jazzy bassline, moderately repetitive guitar, and complex bassline make this song what it is. With only a Bm and B chord, they manage to make this song really complicated with a keyborad part, and a builing up vocal. Thom uses his voice more as an instrument on this song. Fades out at the end, with echoing snare drums rim knocks.

9: hunting Bears
Very odd track in deed. Two minutes of an impossibly distorted guitar, sounding likes its running though a tape loop. Swooping noises and humming piano in the background.

10:Like spinning plates
I like this song less for what it sounds like, but for for how creative it is. It startes out with fast, flicky noises, which morphs into a song being played backwards. The creativity lies in the fact that the vocal is recorded frontwards, and other instument sounds are thrown in to the mix at points.

11:life in a glass house

This song is a wonderfjul close to a great cd. It starts out with a beautifulk airy soundscape, followed by a slow pino shuffle thing, with nothing else but a hi hat. As the chorus comes however, it erupts into a four peice jazz band peice, with a trumpet, trombone, clarenet, and another drumer guy playing with phil. Very political lyrics, nice ending.

Over all, this cd gets a 9.5/10, the .5 points being because it should have had over 13 tracks.

moderaterock222
December 2nd 2003

im sure this ahs been done. its an average cd with some awesome songs on it being life in a glasshouse,like spinnign plates and the pyramid song. im a big radiohead fan but this is my least favourite album of theirs...it just doesnt feel right most of the time

BirdsOfFires
December 2nd 2003

In no way does this deserve a 9.5/10.

Also, include a tracklist, list of musicians and the year it came out, along with a little background.

Please also cut and paste your reviews into word and spellcheck.

sting-ray
December 2nd 2003

1. You could improve this review by adding more features.

2. The rating is out of 5.

BirdsOfFires
December 3rd 2003

Thom Yorke is an egomaniac and a prick, so who cares what he thinks. Radiohead is awesome though.

December 4th 2003

^^^^ as if he is, he hates his band getting all the recognition they get, dude, I'm not sure you know what the hell your on about

wheelz
December 4th 2003

^^^ exactly

that's why the refuse to play creep live....

voodoopuppet
December 6th 2003

Originally posted by wheelz
^^^ exactly

that's why the refuse to play creep live....

Actually, they've started playing Creep again occasionally, simply because of the sheer weight of people wanting them to play it. I'm a huge Radiohead fan, and I love all of their cds since Pablo Honey. But (out of 5) I would only give Amnesiac 4, as I dont think it would be a good introduction to Radiohead for someone who hasnt heard of them/doesnt like them. Its a very difficult one to get into. OK Comp would be a definite 5, its one of the, if not the best album of all time. The Bends would get a 4, as would Hail to the Thief. And I'd give Kid A 5, as it is easier to get into than Amnesiac (more intelligible vocals in most cases, catchy tunes).

Oh, and calling Thom Yorke an egomaniac is ridiculous. He hates the spotlight. He had huge problems during the OK Computer tour because of the attention - How to Disappear Completely and Never be Found from Kid A was inspired by this and a conversation with Michael Stipe from REM. Thom said that he couldnt handle it anymore, and Michael said "Just keep saying to yourself - Im not here, this isnt happening, Im not here, this isnt happening". The only way Thom attracts attention is in a political way.

TheAxeslinger
December 6th 2003

i don't have a favorite song on this. i don't believe it is possible to just skip to a certain track on this cd. when i put it in i gotta just go from the beginning all the way through.

December 11th 2003

Yes, Amnesiac is one of Radiohead's least good albums. Still a work of art though :thumb:

IvortheEngineDriver
December 15th 2003

I agree...I think Kid A is better than Amnesiac...but Amnesiac is still a fun album to listen to...I put it on when I am doing homework or if I want to relax. I give it a 4/5

13hrdrive
December 16th 2003

frowned
December 16th 2003

^^^^ Why The Capitalisation Of Every Single Word?

...and they sound nothing like REM.

wheelz
December 17th 2003

i actually really like amnesiac....

and hail to the theif definitely deserves a 5/5 (someone up there said it should get a 4)

Elijah
December 24th 2003

Radiohead are my 2nd fav band!

they introduced me to the world of arty music

December 26th 2003

[QUOTE=13hrdrive]Geez, A Group Of People Sitting Around And Stroking Radiohead. Good Musicians? Sure - Why Not. But Quite Possibly The Most Boring Band In The World. Rem's Retarded Little Cousin.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Good one :rolleyes: it's called opinions. And they are not retarted

Smithers2003X
December 26th 2003

Holy **** man..Radiohead is one of the most dynamic bands ever. you can say they suck but dont say theyre boring. theyve changed their style on practically every album except Kid A/Amnesiac (which were both pretty much recorded at the same time.) Although i do agree that Radiohead draws strongly from REM.

beaze
July 19th 2004

"Pyramid Song" is one nof my most favorite songs of all time, its just amazing when I listen to it, take me to another place of music i have not been to before.

Clone
August 22nd 2004

Amnesiac is one of my favorite albums of all time.

I dont see the radiohead/REM connection....sorta whiney singer, thats about it. REM only has a few good songs on their many albums.

August 22nd 2004

Their newer stuff doesn't have a lot of R.E.M. influence, but their older stuff has quite a but. Michael Stipe was Thom's hero.

Dancin' Man
August 22nd 2004

Amnesiac and Kid A are tied as my favorite. Pablo Honey and HTTT are my least favorite.