The Avalanches
Since I Left You

by Scott Herren USER (42 Reviews)
January 16th, 2005 | 530 replies | 39,735 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

The Avalanches are a 6 piece dance outfit that hails from the last place you would expect for dance music - Australia. Their original sound is...well...really not too original at all. Meaning the vast majority of the music they create is by splicing and filtering over nearly a thousand different samples, with the original instrumentation taking a backseat.

The origin of two of the bandmates, oddly enough, is in punk music (Robbie Chater and Darrin Seltmann were members of the punk band Swinging Monkey Cocks), but these roots were abandoned to an extent to focus more on abstract hip hop and dance.

The bands first material was produced in 1997, and Australian label Modular immediately took notice and signed them to a long term deal. The Avalanches spent the next three years perfecting Since I Left You, and the extensive amount of time paid to the creation of this album certainly paid off as this is an amazing 60-minute experience. That's right, I said it, an experience.

During the time working on Since I Left You, the Avalanches put on an outlandish live show, and played with the Beastie Boys and Public Enemy. But while those groups rely heavily on lyrical content, the Avalanches rely heavily on samples repeated over and over in various catchy, infectious ways.

Like many dance records, Since I Left You thrives on feel good tunes that bring you back to your youth. This is one of the freshest things I have ever listened to, and when I am in the mood, I can make a day of listening to this album. This isn't so much an album that is divided into "songs" as listening to pieces of the album could prove to be a considerable hit to it's appeal. This needs to be experienced as a whole.

Credits:
Richie Robinson - Mixing, Live Production
Sally Russell - Vocals
Saian Supa Crew - Vocals
Darren Seltmann - Vocals, Production, Mixing

I won't do a track by track review for an album like this because I don't think of it in terms of tracks, but mearly high points and low points of a single entity.

The album begins with the infectious "Since I Left You", one of the most amazing songs ever, and continues to build with "Radio". The climax of the first half of the album is right around "Two Hearts in 3/4 Time", one of the strongest cuts on the album.

It maintains this high level through "Flight Tonight", and hits a small lull right before "Frontier Psychiatrist", which is the most insane track on the album by far, splicing together words to form crazy comments like "He's a nut. He's crazy in the coconut", "He was white as a sheet, and he also made false teeth", and the amazingly constructed chorus of "that boy needs therapy". Oh man, this is another climax of the album, but it isn't over yet.

The experience continues through "Summer Crane", and another just amazing song in "Live at Dominoes". The album ender "Extra Kings" is perfect, and brings back the classic "since I left you I found the world so new" line from the opening song. Yes, the album has come full circle, and it is perfect for putting on repeat.

Notable tracks:

amazing sampling
catchy
great dance music
no skipable tracks
a great pick me up album

Negatives:
NOT A DAMN THING

Recommended for fans of:
Daft Punk
Basement Jaxx
Jason Forrest

You guys probably think that from the review I am going to give this album a perfect score. Well...you are correct. PERFECT ALBUM, PERFECT SCORE.

Royksopp Melody A.M.Metric Old World Underground, Where Are You Now
Ride NowhereClearlake Cedars
The Walkmen Bows + ArrowsJamiroquai A Funk Odyssey
4.3
  • musicallychallenged (4.5)
    Beautifully mixes up hundreds of third-party compositions into something somehow greater t...

IronGiant (5)
    ‘Get a drink, have a good time now. Welcome to Paradise’...

Justin Swope (5)
    Since I Left You is a fantastically provocative slice of dance music that will leave you f...

ArcturusBows (5)
    Since I Left You falls into a rare category of album -innovative, unique, powerful, and de...

• Adash (5)
    Best Album of the Decade...

ZEROthirtythree
March 10th 2005

I like this album and this review
And I also really really I like you

Fabrizzio
March 11th 2005

This is probably my favourite CD and a great review too
Good Work!

Iai
August 2nd 2005

I must have listened to this album about 8 times, and I still cannot get into it at all.

STLMiguel
May 24th 2006

I (finally!) got my hands on this album and I love it! So refreshing.

MyRamona
May 24th 2006

I remember this! Since I left you and Frontier Psychiatrist are brilliant!

spoon_of_grimbo
May 24th 2006

"YOU'RE A NUT! YOU'RE CRRRAZZZY AS A COCONUT!"

"what does that mean?" "THAT BOY NEEDS THERAPY!"

cracking song!

Morvit
June 20th 2006

Frontier Psychiatrist is the most random music video i've ever seen

JumpTheF**kUp
December 7th 2006

Dear lord...Frontier Psychiatrist is one of the best songs I have ever heard, and the video for it is brilliantly wierd. Since I Met You is also really good. I'm not going to rate this, as I havnt heard it all, but I'm sure I'd enjoy it if I bought it. Review's good, maybe write a bit more about the actual music and it's feel.

ChiBoys
May 14th 2007

Just like "Blue Lines" for Massive Attack, just like "Moon Safari" by Air.. this is one of the most inspirational and impressive debuts by an electronic group ever. Just no way should you be listening to any electronic music if you can't like this.. it's incredible in so many ways and will go down as one of the most memorable and emotional records i have ever heard... and not one real word is spoken! This is a modern day classic and if you don't have it then you better put it on your shopping list.This Message Edited On 06.16.07

Zebra
August 21st 2007

This album has some good cuts but it can get awfully boring when listening to it as a whole.

Iai
August 21st 2007

I still don't like this. And I've really tried.

lunchforthesky
March 22nd 2008

they really need to make something else.

slep
March 22nd 2008

I've been kind of apprehensive to listen to this since electronica really isn't my thing, but I think i'll listen to it now.

Hopefully it's good.

RoshanC
May 22nd 2008

Lol, got this album when I was 8 after hearing Frontier Psychiatrist. Just dug it out again and it is awesome. These guys need to hurry up and make their next album.

timbo8
August 20th 2008

Really astonishing album. Tons of variety, lots of emotions expressed, and consistently fascinating. As of now, this is close but not quite a classic for me. Man I hope they release another album.

kygermo
October 7th 2008

Wow I cant belive this album is in the database. Underappreciated and underrated. Great review. Great album!

Spare
January 26th 2009

Incredible album. New stuff in 2009 should be great. Unless they're LYING again.

plane
March 1st 2009

this is the shit

Meatplow
June 5th 2009

I am quite in love with Frontier Psychiatrist, I love how the opening sample was lifted from John Water's Polyester.

dexters expulsion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Feb5D3SCdew
frontier psychiatrist - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8BWBn26bX0

The title track is great as well, just got this album in so hopefully it'll be awesome.

Meatplow
June 8th 2009

Yeah, this exceeded all my expectations. Fucking brilliant.