The Mars Volta
The Bedlam in Goliath

by SoCalPunk21 USER (3 Reviews)
February 6th, 2008 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Mars Volta climb back to the top with "The Bedlam in Goliath," the record that "Amputechture" could have been.

It turns out that The Mars Volta may know what they are doing after all. Their new release “The Bedlam in Goliath” is an exultant return to semi-sanity for the Texas octet.

The band’s 2003 debut “De-Loused in the Comatorium” and 2005’s ultra-successful “Frances the Mute” lifted guitarist Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and vocalist Cedric Bixler-Zavala to full blown “rock-god” status, but that didn’t stop the band from making the hugely disappointing “Amputechture” in 2006, a nearly unintelligible amalgam of dissonance and acid-jazz freak-outs.

The opening three minutes of “Bedlam” seem like more of the same. “Aberinkula” begins with Bixler-Zavala’s wailing vocals over swirling layers of dissonant effects-laden guitars and a pounding rhythm section that seems at odds with the rest of the band. The whole thing sounds like it could have been lifted directly off of “Amputechture,” until the song abruptly changes feel with an intriguing guitar melody that would have been at home on “Frances the Mute.” Adrian Terrazas-Gonzalez’s squealing saxophone shifts the song into yet another gear.

“Ilyena” displays the sort of melodic center that was so prevalent on the band’s earlier releases and so conspicuously absent on “Amputechture.” It begins with Bixler-Zavala’s heavily distorted vocals twisting beneath electronic thuds and bleeps. When the rest of the band finally lurches into motion at the one-minute mark, it’s one of the best moments in the band’s career.

Inspired by the supposedly evil spirits that came along with a Ouija board that Rodriguez-Lopez bought in Jerusalem, Bixler-Zavala’s lyrics are as weird and inaccessible as ever.

“When I seep inside your truth through suspicious little coughs/You sank your nails inside a key while the door you shut closed up,” he sings on “Goliath.”

This stream-of-consciousness approach has been a constant theme in Bixler-Zavala’s work with both The Mars Volta and the late-90’s post-hardcore experiment At the Drive-In, but it works much better on this record than it did on “Amputechture.”

“Bedlam” is still too full of the unnecessary production decisions that plagued “Amputechture.” Too many distorted layers of vocals and guitars undermine the melodic core of certain songs. Thankfully, the ambient noise that provided a four-minute buffer between all of the songs on “Frances the Mute” and dominated “Amputechture” has been deleted altogether.

The record works in spite of these decisions, however, because the songwriting takes a huge step up from the Volta’s last release.

“Ouroboros” is a pummeling journey-to-the-center-of-the-Earth with ethereal soaring choruses, brief flailing guitar solos by semi-member John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and demon-orchestra breakdowns.

“Soothsayer” takes us to the Holy Land where the Ouija board was found. Eccentric classical and Middle-Eastern melodies weave in an out of spiraling guitar phrases and Bixler-Zavala’s climbing vocals. Frusciante really shines on this track with a chaotic guitar solo in the center of everything that adds layers of mood to an already seething track. The whole song collapses into waves of weeping strings and a haunting, echo-laden chorus of voices.

“The Bedlam in Goliath” is a triumphant return to glory for the Mars Volta. What they will do next is anybody’s guess, but expectations are once again high for the modern prog-rock pioneers.

user ratings (2074)

tcaporale
February 6th 2008

Really good review. I actually think this is MV's best album, though most people disagree. It's certainly their most fun album to listen to, and "Goliath" is a beast. But, again, the review was well-written, if a tad underdeveloped. But no worries, you make some excellent points.This Message Edited On 02.06.08

MediocreAtBest
February 6th 2008

Good review, but I still don't see how this is like Amputechture. Someone please spell it out.

DWittisarockstar
February 6th 2008

This is what Amputechture would have been, had it been good. Instead, it was atrocious.

thesystemisdown
February 6th 2008

Meh, good review, but it could be longer and you don't have to make one-sentence paragraphs. I like Frances the Mute, and I plan to get this and De-Loused soon.

SoCalPunk21
February 6th 2008

It's not like Amputechture, that's what the review says.

As for the paragraphs, I write for a newspaper. Shorter paragraphs are easier to read in narrow columns and keep the information flowing faster.

McP3000

why do people dislike Amputechture that much

i quite like it.

Big Baby Jesus
February 6th 2008

Good review for a second.

My only complaint is you spend to much time talking about (and bashing) Amputechture.

plane

get your own damn opinion

yeah god people stop hating an album you don't like
other people do too

why do people dislike Amputechture that much

i quite like it.

So if I quite like it too I'd be stealing your opinion? Stop being such a bag of dicks.

cometuesday
February 7th 2008

I liked Amputecture when I first listened to it a lot more than my first listen from this one. Granted I have a slight distaste for Frances but I think they're all pretty good albums.

MoonlightBleeding
February 7th 2008

Amputechture was just slower than hell. It's nothing like this album. This is nothing like any other Volta album.

MediocreAtBest

^Sweet avatar.

MoonlightBleeding
February 7th 2008

the fucking mods keeping changing it because they think I'm triebstros.

it's fucking old.