Floorpunch
Fast Times At The Jersey Shore

by Mr. Lean Mug USER (112 Reviews)
January 27th, 2008 | 17 replies | 9,068 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Legendary album from the ultimate NJ hardcore band. I could say more, but I'd be lying if I thought it was necessary.

For me, growing up in New Jersey meant two things: lousy job opportunities and a chance to experience firsthand some legendary music. To be completely fucking honest, Floorpunch are one of those bands that I’d fight someone over. Probably even kill someone. Not because they revitalized youth crew. Not because they were basically the essence of my home state in band form. Hell, not even because their live shows were among the best I’ve ever witnessed. No, it’s just because there isn’t a damned day that goes by when I make music that I don’t think of the incredible influence they’ve had on myself, my friends, and the scene we’ve created for ourselves. It’s not just about the music to me, it’s about the meaning.

But about the music. Floorpunch were one of those straight edge bands who didn’t get all preachy and up their own ass about their beliefs. What they did do, however, was drive a stake of sheer power straight enter your skull with each riff, crash, and yell that consensually rapes (yes) your ears. It’s these elements that make Fast Times At the Jersey Shore such a fun ride. Each song is concise, and straight to the point. No beating around the bush, just angry as hell Jersey hardcore. “Washed Up at 18,” the album’s seminal opener, captures all of Floorpunch’s feelings about their own music and the rest of the album to come in the lyrics sheet: “What you had you were given/You were never a part of our scene” - and that’s that basically. What makes Fast Times so special is Floorpunch’s ability to instantly alienate anyone who may not want to take them seriously. I liken it to the Japanese practice of breeding Kabuki actors to maintain purity on the stage.

Fast Times also features some of the straight up best hardcore musicianship you will ever hear. Period. You only need to hear the breakdown in “Always” or the ripping bass intro of “The Answer” to catch onto that. What’s particularly unique about this album is the sound is high quality, but maintains a demo-esque feel; the music is heavy and pissed off, but oddly funny- upon repeated listens, you’ll start to suspect that Floorpunch are really just flipping everyone the bird while they do whatever the fuck they want. They take hardcore back to it’s roots while still managing to inflect their own unique take on things. An example of this would be “Let It Ride,” in which Floorpunch merely wanna go gambling in Atlantic City and stare at women, while a choruses of cheers and wolf-whistles backs them up. It’s lead singer’s shout of “One more time,” and a repeat of the verse that makes your musical boner get nice and hard.

What really makes Fast Times an essential release is its immortal replay ability. Seriously, you could hit shuffle and repeat on this album and listen to it in an infinite variety of combinations and it will never get old. That’s how a good hardcore album should be: a never ending storm of rage and power, but something that you can just connect with. Floorpunch accomplished that here, and whether you like it or not, you probably owe them more than you think because they more than likely changed the course of the lives of the people who formed one of your favorite hardcore bands in at least one way or another. Give credit where it’s due.

Freddie Gibbs and The World's Freshest The Tonite ShowDe La Soul Smell The DA.I.S.Y.
Fucked Up Year of the DragonRome Fortune Beautiful Pimp II
Maxo Kream QuiccstrikesSelf Defense Family Try Me
4.2

Electric City
January 27th 2008

Sweet home Alabama it's been some time since you submitted a review. Excellently done.

Digging: A Sunny Day In Glasgow - Sea When Absent

January 27th 2008

[quote=review]Floorpunch accomplished that here, and whether you like it or not, you probably owe them more than you think because they more than likely changed the course of the lives of the people who formed your favorite band in one way or another.[/quote]
Holy hyperbolic and most likely completely unfounded claims batman!

DWittisarockstar
January 27th 2008

I want this, despite the possible hyperbole.

Commortus
January 27th 2008

The fact that you'd kill someone over music scares me a lot.

Commortus
January 27th 2008

The fact that you'd kill someone over music scares me a lot.

Serpento
January 27th 2008

i just messaged rise against and asked if they knew floorpunch. tim messaged back saying yes but none of the original members liked them much, "plus lifetime filled our slot for jerseycore of course." he also invited me to lunch and a sconeparty. at this point the joke is obvious.

Nonetheless, class review and I'm getting this right now.This Message Edited On 01.27.08

Let's Chop Cats!
January 27th 2008

Best intro ever written in hardcore.

January 27th 2008

"you probably owe them more than you think because they more than likely changed the course of the lives of the people who formed your favorite band in one way or another."

I HIGHLY doubt this. I'm pretty sure NOFX, The Mars Volta, Against Me!, The Lawrence Arms, etc etc were not influenced by this band in any shape or form.

Aka that was really really hyperbolic.

botb
January 27th 2008

If this is anything like Minor Threat or Gorilla Biscuits i need to check this out.

Serpento
January 27th 2008

^It's definitely like them, but I don't see what makes this a classic objectively. A solid 3 for me so far.

Confessed2005
January 28th 2008

Something tells me I probably wouldn't like this. Not to say I don't like hardcore but I prefer it when it comes with a metallic edge.

Interpret that as you will.

Tyler
January 28th 2008

Translation: you like metalcore.

BuddyBigsby
January 28th 2008

For fans of: homophobia, douchebags in bands, etc.

March 22nd 2008

lol so I gather that Floorpunch is a brocore band of sorts right?

Iluvatar
April 2nd 2008

You know you never talked about hardcore ever before you left the site.
Why do I get the feeling you are fronting hardcore as fuck.

ShadowRemains
August 17th 2011

20219 Comments

this rules so much

danielito19
April 23rd 2014

ugh this is so fucking good