Queens of the Stone Age
Era Vulgaris

by Josh Bowers USER (19 Reviews)
January 20th, 2008 | 9 replies | 8,621 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Era Vulgaris is a gem, but with multiple listens needed to enjoy Era Vulgaris and the feeling of QOTSA truly being Josh Homme and friends is enough proof to show why Era Vulgaris is not a classic release.

I wouldn’t be lying when I say that I was introduced to Queens of the Stone Age through Rock Band and Guitar Hero III. Last month, I got Guitar Hero III and discovered that 3’s & 7’s from the very same album I was still trying to decide on whether or not it’s worth purchasing was featured on Guitar Hero III. After playing through 3’s & 7’s on GHIII,
Queens caught my interest. With that in mind, I got Era Vulgaris, in hopes of hearing more songs like 3’s & 7’s.

After taking a few serious listens to Era Vulgaris, it’s clear that the band isn’t the same since Songs for the Deaf. When comparing the fun yet dark personality of Songs for the Deaf to Era Vulgaris, Era Vulgaris seems to be aiming for a more murky and psychedelic atmosphere rather than a perfected mainstream sound. With that murkiness and psychedelia comes the picture that Era Vulgaris paints. According to Homme, he believes that we have entered the vulgar ages. Not only is this an intriguing concept, Homme’s lyrics and guitar work, along with the rest of the band combine forces to sell this idea of a ‘Vulgar Era’. However, it takes a while to digest Era Vulgaris. Upon first listen, the listener will probably think that Era Vulgaris is awkwardly structured in terms of rhythm with up tempo drumming, roaring guitar riffs, wailing vocals, and bass lines that forcefully splice themselves into the mix. However, Era Vulgaris is a grower; if the listener were to continue listening to it, the listener should take note that as awkward as it may sound on first listen rhythm wise, it actually works together to show a more aggressive side to QOTSA, while still retaining the fun and interest of any Queens album.

The main reason why Era Vulgaris is enjoyable is because of Josh Homme’s carefully constructed guitar structures and added melodies. However, Homme’s melodies tend to be awkward when his guitar sounds harsh, like in Misfit Love. Even though Homme’s soothing vocal tones can go too far, it’s just how well he’s able to deliver on his guitar that saves him. Homme mainly plays a mix of 70’s psychedelia and distorted hard rock, similar to the style of Army of Anyone’s Dean DeLeo. Homme takes it a step further when he experiments with punk elements in Misfit Love, Battery Acid, and Run, Pig, Run. Speaking of Run, Pig, Run, though it may be QOTSA’s strangest moment in Era Vulgaris that may drive the listener insane with noise, the shining moment of Run, Pig, Run is with Homme’s incredible guitar work.

Homme’s guitar is at its murkiest in Run, Pig, Run, while he pounds his guitar down to the ground with fading melodies and multiple effects all around, then finally ending with a bang when the guitar solo clocks in, overshadowing anything that made Turnin’ on the Screw and 3’s & 7’s interesting.

But why is Era Vulgaris not a classic? The fact that the listener had to get attached to this album in the first place through multiple listens is more than enough proof to explain why Era Vulgaris does not deserve a 5. Furthermore, Era Vulgaris feels more like a Josh Homme solo album. The best way to sum up Era Vulgaris is by stating that Josh Homme stamps his name over the label that says ‘Queens of the Stone Age’ on the album cover. Sure, the rest of the band sounds good, but the drumming and bass work feels….well, average, only tasked with providing rhythm to Homme and his guitar. The only time where QOTSA sounds like a band and not ‘The Josh Homme Show’ is in 3’s & 7’s and Sick, Sick, Sick, despite being able to somehow combine together to sell the ‘Vulgar Era’ concept.

Era Vulgaris is a gem, but this is not the best Queens album. Again, the fact that the listener has to listen to this album multiple times before he can truly enjoy Era Vulgaris proves that Era Vulgaris is neither worth a 5 nor is it the best Queens album. Nonetheless, Era Vulgaris is one of the better constructed albums of 2007. Get this, it’s a solid QOTSA release, though they have done better. (Songs for the Deaf and Rated R, anyone?)

Queens of the Stone Age Lullabies to ParalyzeSlipknot Iowa
Slipknot SlipknotArmy of Anyone Army of Anyone
Korn Greatest Hits Vol. 1Godsmack Godsmack
  • Mikey Graves (3.5)
    With an obvious shift in energy, QOTSA give us on a ride on weird side. Dark, dank, and di...

Maximilian Harkness (3)
    Don’t expect anything like Rated R ever again, if you do you’ll be disappointed. If yo...

tcaporale (4)
    Like always, QOTSA bring the rock even without Olivieri or Lanegan, and provides a showcas...

Porter W. Richards (3.5)
    Era Vulgaris is like a really good fake diamond on first glance; after a few minutes of ad...

• Cubert99 (4.5)
    Queens Of The Stone age have brought sexy back....

Nick Butler EMERITUS (1.5)
    Five albums into their career, this fan feels that QOTSA have hit a brick wall. Hard....

Mike Stagno EMERITUS (3.5)
    With Era Vulgaris, Queens of the Stone Age once again deliver a solid slab of alternative ...

*Curses slow computer*

Agh....I hate dial up connections. Sucks when I know that there's a pointless paragraph and I can't get rid of it >.>

Chewie
January 20th 2008

nice review, could have talked a bit more but i get the picture. I've always kinda knew Queens Of The Stone Age and i never hated them, but never was a fan, maybe i outta buy this.

rasputin
January 20th 2008

Yeah, I quite liked this review. I disagree with the rating though, it should be lower. Songs for the Deaf was much, much better.

January 23rd 2008

Oh, and after listening to SftD and Rated R, I've come to this conclusion: Rated R > SftD(though SftD was genius with Lanegan, Grohl, Homme, and Oliveri together)

RJayZ
January 23rd 2008

Hmm, I like your review, and the point about it being more a Josh Homme solo album made me think "Hmm. He's right.". I just think the review was a bit on the short side, not going into detail as much as I'd like. I think your rating is a bit generous too.

Oh and, you really prefer Rated R to SftD? I think SftD is the best work Homme has been involved with since Kyuss.

January 24th 2008

I know.

I think your rating is a bit generous too.

Again, I would have given it a 3.5 at first, but I gave it a 4 because I like Homme's unorthodox structures and guitar playing.

SftD WAS genius work, but Rated R was just....well....brilliant IMO. It's a tossup, but I seem to enjoy R more than SftD.

rasputin
January 24th 2008

I actually haven't heard Rated R yet. I might check it out if you think it's better than Songs for the Deaf.

TremorChrist
October 8th 2008

When I first heard this album, I thought it was terrible compared to Songs for the Deaf. But after several listens I realized how great the album really was and respected QOTSA once again.

Riviere
June 5th 2013

Multiple listens indeed, I considered it garbage on the first spin. The songs really come to life the
3rd and 4th time around. There's 1 or 2 duds, but SFTD has some too.