Trash Talk

by John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF
January 16th, 2008 | 46 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: its cool...I'd just rather listen to CEREMONY

Trash Talk, one of the bands on hardcore label Malfunction Records , are one of the many So-Cal hardcore bands trying to make their mark on the fairly saturated scene. Equal parts Ceremony and Life Long Tragedy (but probably a lot more Ceremony), Trash Talk straddle the line in between the fast style Ceremony have suddenly made fashionable and the slower, more songwriting based punk of bands like Blacklisted.

Trash Talk aren’t doing anything really new, they’re just trying to rip your face off at every possible moment. While the Plagues EP starts off with a slow drum beat, you’re quickly introduced to the assault on the ears that is “Scatter”. As we go into “Babylon, CA” the music enfolds into what Trash Talk have previously shown; pissed off hardcore where you cant help but think “sup Infest worship.”

The EP is solid all around, and features all the good stuff fans will be looking for; HEAVY AS FUCK power chords, PISSED OFF AS FUCK shouting, and ANGRY AS FUCK lyrics. The build up in “Manifest Destination” leading up to the climax of the record (which may sound conspicuously like “Kersed” but who cares) in which they proclaim “Maladjusted, Forever fucked, No love for anyone, anyhow, anymore, This curse has ruined me and everyone can see the truth I hold behind these eyes is a lie” is the first great moment in hardcore music this year.

This isn’t gonna take music anywhere new, and probably isn’t even going to be the best Trash Talk record released this year (as hopefully a follow up full length will be out before years end), but if you’re into what Malfunction/Deathwish (the parent label) has been offering lately or like to bandwagon jump, Trash Talk might be the place to go. Even people not normally into the scene should check out songs like “Babylon, CA” and “Manifest Destination” and see if they don’t like it just a little bit.

P.S. it’s 5 minutes long. People with short attention spans, do apply.

Say Anything HebrewsWashboard Leo Thomas Louisiana Bluegrass
Crusades Perhaps You Deliver This Judgement...Against Me! Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Los Campesinos! No BluesArcade Fire Reflektor

Silly swear filter.

Let's Chop Cats!
January 16th 2008

Solid 7". Wasn't into Walking Disease a whole lot, but this is definitely some of their better stuff. Hopefully the LP later this year will be good.

ya obvi badass

January 16th 2008

I'm probably going to review Violence, Violence or Scared People soon. Trash Talk are pretty cool but Ceremony does the sound better.

Doppelganger
January 16th 2008

I saw these guys a few weeks ago. Pretty great.

Acre
January 17th 2008

No TBIG review? Shame, I was looking forward to pooping all over it...

Never heard of these guys, but the review has be intrigued, and there's nothing that gives me a stiffy like good hardcore.

Sup itjustleakedyesterday.
And I didn't know you had any interest in hardcore whatsoever, thought iit wasn't experimentalz enough for you.

Solid 7".

Personally I prefer Trash Talk over Ceremony but I definitely don't think they go for the same sound.

Let's Chop Cats!
January 17th 2008

TT definitely go for a more heavy and not as thrashy sound.

January 17th 2008

A lot of what TT go for sounds like a heavier Ruined to me.
But I used ceremony mainly because I liked the gag they pulled on TT at the release show.

edit: http://bp3.blogger.com/_J5dFtIPxQCM/R4wyKFYBHTI/AAAAAAAAAOI/ib9-e_d3vIM/s1600-h/DSC00316.JPGThis Message Edited On 01.17.08

Confessed2005

That artwork is sweet.

Acre
January 17th 2008

Actually, it was post-hardcore that first got me into prog. Recently I've been playing around with the more straight-edged "hardcore" bands, and this sounds like as good an EP as any to add to my collection.

January 17th 2008

Message me and we can call each other intensely gay while we share music.
We can both benefit from this endeavor musically!

January 17th 2008

hit me up too i know a lot about hardcore

January 17th 2008

I swear to god I'm going to deershank you.

January 20th 2008

Whattttttttt. I would say TT goes for the heavy thrash sound and Ceremony goes for the fast sloppy punk sound/heavy. Oh well.

rasputin
January 20th 2008

Is it actually 5 minutes long, or were you exaggerating just slightly?

it actually is

rasputin
January 20th 2008

So the average song length is like 50 seconds. Sounds pretty sucky.

January 20th 2008

Sounds like you dont know what the fuck you are talking about.