Anathema
The Silent Enigma

by Trey Spencer STAFF
January 15th, 2008 | 109 replies | 16,492 views

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Vincent's first album after taking over the vocal duties. This album doesn't nearly show what a great vocalist he would eventually become.

When Anathema started they had a Death Metal vocalist by the name of Darren White who managed to stay with the band through two EPs and one full length album before leaving. After his departure guitar player Vincent Cavanagh stepped up to do vocals and guitars. This album, The Silent Enigma, holds the distinction of being Vincent’s first album that he handled vocals for as well as for being Anathema’s last Doom album. So, based on that, how did Anathema do on their final Doom album?

Unfortunately, this album is clearly divided into two different categories. On the one side you have the songs that are good, solid and seem well thought out, but on the other side you have the songs that seem directionless and meandering. In fact, a good portion of this CD is more devoted to the second category, unfortunately. I’m not sure if that is due to the fact that the band just wasn’t into Doom anymore but were afraid to take their Pink Floyd inspired genre leap or if maybe this was the best they could come up with at the time… based on their talent, I’m more inclined to think that it’s the first reason.

The category that contains the good songs is a lonely place to be as it only contains the first two tracks of the album. Both songs are Doom at heart, but they contain a lot more musical ideas then anything from Anathema’s past. They both contain the slow sections including the prerequisite Doom melodies and heavy riffs, but the songs are also dynamically varied. They have quieter clean guitar sections as well as slightly faster sections where you can almost get your head bobbing to the beat. The biggest difference comes from the obvious change in vocalists to Vincent Cavanagh (who is still their vocalist to this day). Vincent has three distinct vocal styles on this album. The first style is a slight mid-range growl which he uses in more of the heavy sections. The second style is almost a spoken word rasp, and the final style is a clean Gothic moan similar to what he’d further develop on the next few albums. None of his styles are very strong, unfortunately, and they don’t do nearly the great job of conveying emotion that Darren White did.

The second category is where the rest of the album dwells. These songs are all Ok, and all have interesting moments, but they just seem to lack direction. They are all filled with too many quiet moments that rarely contain more then an uninteresting clean guitar and occasionally subtle keyboards and possibly some spoken words. It seems as if the band didn’t know where to take these songs and as such they lack any real memorable moments. It’s these indistinct songs that really show off how weak Vincent’s vocals are. In the good songs the music is able to carry his vocals, but in the rest of these songs he’s just too one-dimensional to do anything other then drag them down farther. His inability to convey any type of emotion is the first thing that hurts these songs, but the main thing that hurts them is his inability to vary his vocals beyond those three distinct styles mentioned earlier. That inability starts to make all the songs sound repetitive and stale, especially by the end of the disc.

I like Anathema and I think this is the last decent album they ever did until Judgement brought about a new era in quality, but it’s still just barely passable. When compared to other Doom around at the time of this release and especially when compared to their album Serenades this one just seems second-tier. For those looking to delve into Anathema’s Doom roots, then Serenades is the only album you need to bother with because this album, along with their two EPs just aren’t up to par.

Flotsam and Jetsam No Place for Disgrace - 2014Mindcage Our Own Devices
Fates Warning Darkness in a Different LightQueensryche Queensryche
Skinny Puppy WeaponThe God Machine Scenes from the Second Storey
Patrick Armstrong (4)
At the time of its release, The Silent Enigma was Anathema’s most ambitious effort yet, and to thi...

January 15th 2008

Three Anathema reviews in a row... I was going to do the last EP too, but I'm burned out on them right now and would probably rate it worse then it is.
As for this album, I have it rated lower then the average, so maybe they see something I don't.

Digging: Teramaze - Esoteric Symbolism

TheGreatD17

Willie, I don't think you do enough Anathema reviews

TheGreatD17
January 16th 2008

and I dunno, but this review doesn't seem up to par with some of your previous ones, not bad but not great

January 16th 2008

I could feel that I was getting burned out on these guys while writing the review, but I finished it up anyway... so, it's probably a good thing that I opted to not do their final Doom EP too.

January 16th 2008

Alternative 4 isn't exactly horrible.

rasputin
January 16th 2008

Anathema binge? Good review as per usual. My impression so far is that I won't like a lot of Anathema.

TimeToTurnTheTide
January 16th 2008

I love the Anathema ratings war lol. good review, bad review, average review. never heard any of their stuff but they seem like a truly inconsistent band

January 16th 2008

They've been consistent, in my opinion, over the last three albums and the songs from the new one are even better.
I don't know if there's any kind of "ratings war"... I agree with the ratings the other Anathema albums have recieved. I only reviewed the Doom albums because they weren't even listed on this site before I put them there.

January 18th 2009

this is so perfect for a foggy night on a frozen lake

January 18th 2009

If I'm stuck on a frozen lake on a foggy night I'm thinking I'd find the edge of the lake and use this cd and it's packaging to start a fire.

I guess I'm just more DOOM than you

January 18th 2009

I wouldn't. Even though this isn't my favourite Anathema record, it's an Anathema record, therefore sacred. It's one of those really ugly ornaments that are really ugly but still endearing because they mean something to you.

This is like that.

This is also an Anathema record, therefore you have the right to blankly ignore anything I say as it is likely to come close to sucking the band member's collective musical e-dicks.

you guys just don't GET IT

March 22nd 2009

I found this today (the re-release of this with the dvd) and bought it for 15$ (12$ American). Was this worth it? I really want to get into these guys and I figured I might as well start with their back catalogue.

Review was well written except it made me regret buying this. I will give it a listen and comment further.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

March 22nd 2009

If you want to get into these guys, I recommend the later stuff like Alternative 4 or A Natural Disaster, much less doom metal and more atmospheric rock/metal.

March 22nd 2009

I like their newer stuff but it just kind of holds Pink Floyd's ballsack up for the most part. I want more old school doom!

March 22nd 2009

there isn't THAT much of a folyd influence
but fair dos about the DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

March 22nd 2009

It sometimes does but most of it is just pure musical eargasm for me. It needs no explanation that later anathema is my favourite. I rarely listen to this.

March 22nd 2009

yeah i'm really digging A Natural Disaster right now. Are You There? is perfect.

March 22nd 2009

Just finished listening to this.
I definitely agree with what Willie says in the review. The latter half of the album just crawls through too many synthy/ acoustic passages. However, the first two songs are fucking amazing.