Paramore
All We Know Is Falling

by altairschaos56 USER (4 Reviews)
January 11th, 2008 | 56 replies | 24,507 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hayley Williams' voice will make you fall in love with "Falling" despite some tracks feel out of place.

The band Paramore has been tearing up the Warped Tour for several years. They are a group of four teenagers hailing from Franklin, Tennessee. Their debut album is “All We Know Is Falling”. This is difficult album to review. On one hand I am surprised by how good it is. On the other, I am kind of disappointed by what I heard. So, I am going to break up this review in two parts and look at both sides.

First, the bad side. Potential. That word came to my mind as I listened to “All We Know Is Falling.” I first found out about this band when I turned on Fuse and saw the video for “Emergency.” Then I saw the video for “Pressure.” I loved the sound of these songs. Hard rocking guitars and great vocals bring the lyrics to life. That was what I was expecting from this band when I bought the album. "Falling"doesn’t reflect those two songs. It’s more pop-punk than just punk or rock. Also, one thing that I really don't like in songs is done twice on "Falling." On "All We Know" and "Franklin" the second the track starts, Williams starts singing. There is no intro to the song. But, it is easy to overlook because the rest of the tracks are well done. The album starts off with “All We Know.” It is considerably more rock sounding than most of the rest. Songs like “Here We Go Again” and “Whoa” are way too pop-esque. This band has a lot of potential with shines in “Conspiracy,” “Pressure,” “Emergency,” and “My Heart.” My main complaint is the music itself. I was expecting something harder and heavier. More like "Emergency" and "Pressure" and less like "Whoa" and "Here We Go Again." Something along the lines of Flyleaf, and not like Fall Out Boy.

Now, the good side. These songs will get stuck in your head for days. Paramore creates a lively, upbeat atmosphere with most of the songs. Titles like "Brighter" and "Whoa" will get you singing along in no time. With a final three, they bring a serious, real and epic sound. "My Heart" has a particularly beautiful sound to it. Lyrically, vocally, and musically; and closes with background screaming. It is unexpected, and might sound lame, but it sounds excellent. Williams' vocals are amazing and even if you don't like all the songs, her talent is undeniable. A big letdown is that there only ten tracks spanning a short 35 minutes; and I want more.
The main attraction is obvious. Hayley Williams' voice. This girl (and the band) has a big career ahead of her with the voice she has. She can hit all notes perfectly, which shine, like I said earlier, in songs like "My Heart" and "Franklin". What's just as impressive is that she is only eighteen. At times on the album, I wish the band could keep up with Williams.

At a time when bands are constantly trying to be harder, heavier, and louder, Paramore is a breath of fresh air in the pop-punk/rock genre. Although songs like "Here We Go Again" and "Whoa" seem out of place; possibly fillers; this is still a very impressive debut.
Track Breakdown: