Chiodos

very poor

by John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF
January 10th, 2008 | 16 replies | 11,627 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hey look My Chemical Romance.

Honestly, I can listen to a few new Chiodos songs. They have something good going on now, if Craig Owens could ever learn how to actually sing. However, years and years ago when they were still known as “The Chiodos Bros”, there was none of that. Instead, Chiodos were a really bad version of Early/Mid My Chemical Romance with some silly electronics thrown in occasionally for fun. Craig sounded like a lame version of Gerard Way (while showing an occasional bit of what he would later sound like), and the band was so generic I wonder how they ever kept their fans. Their third EP and first on an actual label was The Heartless Control Everything.

Sure, they occasionally have a weird HORSE the band-esque breakdown that is sort of cool (like near the end of “Ravishing Matt Ruth”), but for the most part the music is relegated to bad pop punk with some metal and -core flourishes. The production is fairly solid for being so cheaply made, and helps the guitarists tone come through clear. Its too bad they play the same boring riffs and breakdowns over and over to ruin what could have been a solid thing.

Then again, the guitarists could have been shredding as hard as Thomas Erak here and it wouldn’t have mattered, as we have an early career Craig Owens here. It’s some of the most nasally 13-year-old singing you’ll ever hear, and when Craig uses horrible layering effects on “Vacation to Hell” (the inspiring song titles were around this early, yes) its cringe worthy. While it actually might be slightly more tolerable to some then his later antics are (he goes for a lot less, and thus doesn’t have as much range of being terrible yet), it’s still a giant turnoff for anyone who isn’t a 16 year old scene girl.

The album tries to stay interesting by throwing on a keyboard here, a synth there, and gang vocals here, but its ultimate downfall is the fact that past intros and endings, the songs all sound the same. There is the same boring riff combination, the same drum fills, the same distorted layering of Craig’s singing, and the same stupid production tricks. Its something to look out for if you are a fan of Chiodos, but if you aren’t and are thinking maybe (in the vein of the Used) they used to have something really nice going on, just listen to Thirty Years War or something.

Washboard Leo Thomas Louisiana BluegrassCrusades Perhaps You Deliver This Judgement...
Against Me! Transgender Dysphoria BluesLos Campesinos! No Blues
Arcade Fire ReflektorTouche Amore Is Survived By
2.4
Wemo (3)

Iluvatar
January 10th 2008

wrote this because i wanted to write a bad review to get back into reviewing.
Also didn't know this already had one.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

i am the robots
January 10th 2008

Chiodos' demo stuff is so sick, wtf fuck you!

Iluvatar
January 10th 2008

"Lindsay Quit Lollygagging" off their other two EP's is actually pretty good though seriously.

Doppelganger

not as good as aiden

brandtweathers

2009 Comments

they've had solid stuff. this review is funny regardless

Wildhoodlum
January 11th 2008

obviously this review is too short

now let's get that robot retard and some other idiot in here to argue about it

iamrockzorz
January 11th 2008

Lmao what? there isn't much to say about this album.

HighandDriving

^^^ Bad that's about it.

Chiodos is pretty lame.

MediocreAtBest
January 12th 2008

I heard a few songs off this on Purevolume and tbh I like some of their stuff but this record is just too horrible.

Hey chickenfish who is that in your avatar?

chickenfish
January 13th 2008

Michael Shermer.

spoon_of_grimbo
January 14th 2008

the vocalist completely spoils any chance there ever was of me liking this band. seriously, the instrumental parts are often pretty cool, but his fucking squawking puts me right off!

botb
January 14th 2008

I can't stand this band.

Digging: Cult Leader - Nothing For Us Here

atrink2
October 29th 2008

the new stuff isn't that bad. this on the otherhand is just about the worst CD i've heard in a while

atrink
August 10th 2009

^hey it atrink2. i remember those days

Hospital
November 25th 2011

thoroughly enjoyed everything you guys hated.

DreamAgain
April 8th 2014

But this is their best work.. or at least best with Owens