Los Campesinos!
Sticking fingers Into Sockets

by Kyle Ellison USER (9 Reviews)
December 20th, 2007 | 7 replies | 4,384 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Cardiff-based indie-pop septet Los Campesinos! produce a terrific debut EP. Revitalising a turgid indie-pop scene and referencing all their heroes, they still manage to have a hell of a lot of fun making for a cheerfull yet complelling listen.

Wales is not really a place known for its music, in fact, Wales is not really a place known for very much at all. This is something of a shame because if you look hard enough it has a rapidly expanding and vibrant Indie scene, ripe for your attention but not really doing anything to grab it just yet. That was until 2007, when a group of seven Cardiff University graduates took the blogging world by its neck, refining their distinctive brand of exciting, upbeat Indie-pop into this six track EP, Sticking Fingers Into Sockets. Okay, so they might not be a household name just yet, but with extremely positive critical response across the board and record deals signed with influential labels Arts + Crafts and Wichita, 2008 looks to be the year Wales and more specifically Los Campesinos! Make their mark.

What exactly is all this fuss about then? And what separates LC! from every other ‘twee’ Broken Social Scene sound-alike pedalled by Pitchfork and other tastemakers of the indienet? What helps them is how brutally aware of the scene they are, allowing them to step back and avoid its trappings. On ‘It Started With a Mix’, for example, lead singer Gareth Campesinos! stresses over how their band might be perceived as early as their first mix tape, contemplating; “trying to find the perfect match between pretentious and pop, some crappy artwork that took way too long to draw”. In some ways the band almost backlashes against criticism before they have even received it, as Gareth remarks in another song “It’s sad that you think that we’re all just scenesters, and even if we we are it’s not the scene your thinking of”. LC! might take influence from all the bands you would expect from listening to them; Pavement, Architecture in Helsinki, Wolf Parade and indeed Broken Social Scene have all had notable impact, but they don’t sound like any one of them. Instead the band makes reference to the music they love through lyrics and subtle reference, but their own sound is energetic, passionate and tries desperately hard to inspire something innovative within British music.

Like any good debut it’s this thirst for song writing which shines through; each song is crammed with lyrics as they try to express as much as they can within the frameworks of miniature pop songs. On single and standout track You! Me! Dancing!, for example, words seem to fly off the page at a terrific pace, yet the delivery and craft of expression is rarely short of magnificent. Witty lyricism is one thing, but LC! come with the songs to back it. With seven members behind them at all times it often sounds like an Indie-pop assault, blending violins and glockenspiels into a guitar heavy mix which is truly euphoric. Additionally, the pace never seems to be anything other than top speed; even the initially restrained intro of You! Me! Dancing! is soon ruptured by a memorable guitar hook, before inevitably giving in to an explosion of ecstatic sounds and a gloriously optimistic lead vocal. Completing the collection is ‘Frontwards’, a cover song and tribute to their beloved Pavement, and ‘Clunk-Rewind-Clunk-Play-Clunk’ a 36 second summary of their sound with a predictably frenetic tempo and cheerful tone.

Los Campesinos! might or might not be for you, but there’s no denying the sheer enthusiasm which they’ve injected into this EP. From the endearing off-key boy/girl vocals, through perfectly imperfect instrumentation the band carve out 6 emphatic pop songs. For me, it’s a refreshing take on a scene which was really starting to become frigid, and if they can maintain this energy going into their full length album (set for a February release) then 2008 could be an even bigger step for the recognition of Welsh music.

Former Ghosts FleursThe Thermals The Body, The Blood, The Machine
Tokyo Police Club A Lesson in CrimeElvis Costello My Aim Is True
Destroyer Destroyer's RubiesHot Hot Heat Make Up the Breakdown

Monticello
December 20th 2007

Excellent review, you really sold it to me. I'll check this out pretty soon.

silverleaves
December 20th 2007

i heard about them on the new music a while back and i remember thinking they sounded exciting

i've only heard one song off this, "we throw parties, you throw knives", and it was excellent

great review too, easy to read while still being informative, good job

sgrevs
December 20th 2007

I've heard the single and I really enjoyed it.
Mad hot bassist too. Maybe I'll get the album when it comes out.

scallahan06
December 21st 2007

great review. cant wait until their LP comes out

Kyle
December 24th 2007

Cheers guys. There's a couple of samples up now for anyone interested in hearing stuff from this.

AndyRictor2000
November 28th 2008

great review, great band

DaveyBoy
February 5th 2011

20855 Comments

'Sticking Fingers Into Sockets' - the debut EP from indie-pop septet Los Campesinos! - is a successful 1st release, despite treading a fine line between being enthusiastic & annoying. Clever & often humorous lyrics fly during up-tempo verses, as the boy/girl vocals complement each other well & also provide variety. LC's secret weapon is melody... Whether in the form of the array of instruments used (strings, percussion & guitar combine well), or a catchy chorus. It helps that it's only 16 minutes long, so it will be interesting how they handle the step up to LP length. Recommended Tracks: You! Me! Dancing! & Don't Tell me to Do the Math(s).