Soilwork
Natural Born Chaos

good

by RATCHET SKANK 777 USER (203 Reviews)
December 4th, 2007 | 19 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A good album that is easily accesible, just not anything you havent heard before.

After receiving great commercial success from their last album, "A Predator's Portrait", Soilwork more or less bring the goods right back to the table. Soilwork's style has been the subject of criticism from many unhappy campers after their music became slightly more melodic. The term sellout was thrown around more often than it should. Personally, I enjoy the fact that Soilwork added more melodic elements to their music. I'm up for any band to try to expand their sound without turning into someone else. Making the same album over and over would be bland and uninteresting.

Soilwork have released their 2002 album "Natural Born Chaos" and is a solid piece of music. Although not as booming as “Stabbing The Drama” or as crushing as Steelbath’, this remains in the middle ground. A better album then “Figure Number Five” that‘s for sure.. They still had main song writer Peter Wichers on board to contribute to the music. And I have to say that he is a big reason why Soilwork has had so much success. You could feel with his absence that the new album was lacking in quality and song writing despite Devin Townsend's handle on the disk. Devin Townsend had actually controlled the boards on this album as well as "Sworn To A Great Divide". No introduction necessary for Devin but does a solid job bringing most of the instruments to the limelight. Also, he contributes harsh vocals during the tradeoff with Bjorn in the mid paced number "Black Star Deceiver".

Bjorn "Speed" Strid - Vocal
Peter Wichers - Lead and Rhythm Guitar
Ola Frenning - Lead and Rhythm Guitar
Ola Flink - Bass
Henry Ranta - Drums
Sven Karlsson - Keyboards and Synth

Soilwork is a Swedish Melodic Death Metal band. Although not as harsh or ground braking as some of the other bands, Soilwork excels at what they do, basically creating catchy melodies, foot tapping rhythms, strong vocal transitions and molding these basic elements into a sound of their own. They found their niche early on in their career and haven't found the need to unnecessarily experiment with other sounds toi make the listener. Guitar wise, this album is chock full of thudding grooves that would make Pantera proud. Staying around the mid tempo mark, the guitar creates the basic foundation of the music. Riffs are extremely catchy and the solos are warming. Peter and Ola put up successfully on their end of the bargain. The electronic work wraps itself around the guitar riff while giving the music a more melodic feel. Sven's work is neither haunting or overly dramatic like a lot of Doom metal bands these days, but none the less add well to the atmosphere.

Drum work is lower into the mix than I expected but still sufficient at providing numerous interesting fills and double bass patterns. Bass is down tuned into the mix as well. Despite these flaws, Bjorn somewhat makes up for those absences with a great vocal performance. It can be debated about Bjorn's voice but in my opinion has a strong singing voice that over shadows his harsh vocals. Not too say that his harsh vocals aren't bad, they're just lacking the power of some of metal's vocalists. Bjorn usually trades off between his smooth croon to either higher pitched growls or lower pitched screams.

A good example of that could be shown in the opener "Follow The Hollow". As one of the faster paced songs, Bjorn displays a fast delivery with his clean to harsh vocals to display one of the most aggressive songs on the album. Keyboard work is spacey and the riffs chug away before a well timed solos pops in. This is basically the album that Sonic Syndicate abused in their recording room before writing their songs as a striking similarity can be felt between both albums. Production for the most part captures the sound pretty well. Bjorn’s voice can be heard crisply, guitar riffs are loud and heavy, solos are clear and on key, keyboard work is presented well, and yet the drum work can not be heard clearly and the bass work is tuned down to the point.

A good album but not excellent due to some lingering problems that plaque this disk. All in all, this is a extremely catchy album that takes no time to sink your teeth into, whether or not that's a good thing. Due to the accessibility of this album, almost everyone can listen to this album without problem. Call it metal-lite. Too melodic for it's own good, the screams don't have much aggression, and the riffs although heavy can't compare with let's say Dissection.Overall, this is an album that can be heard for listening enjoyment or just rocking out with your friends, just not the album for when you crave hard edged music to pound something or someone. Nothing really groundbreaking or to the point of extreme, but this can still bring the mosh.

Pros:
-Easily Accessible
-Catchy, great melodies and solos.
-Vocals, harsh and clean are delivered well.

Cons:
-Not treading any new ground.
-Drums are low in the mix and bass is nonexistent.
-Lacking that oomph that typical Metal bands have.

Destroyer 666 Of Wolves, Women & WarSo Hideous Last Poem/First Light
13th Moon The Pale Spectre over the WormTheophany Time's End: Majora's Mask Remixed
At Dawn They Sleep Red SunBlack Magick SS Panzerwitch
Dethtrasher (2)

Thomas Michael Morris (4)

Dead_Trench (5)

December 4th 2007

A couple things, why is this in death metal, and glad I copied and pasted this from word, otherwise I'd be having a fit.

Digging: Tove Lo - Queen of the Clouds

Crimson

1935 Comments

I hate Bjorns voice for some reason :/

Crimson

1935 Comments

Oh yeah, nice review, I noticed a typo somewhere though.

/vote

December 4th 2007

At one point, I liked Soilwork more than Scar Symmetry, however, now its the opposite. Scar Symmetry do everything better than Soilwork vocally, guitar wise, and song wise. Still, Soilwork puts on a great show.

Thank you.This Message Edited On 12.04.07

Pebster49
December 4th 2007

Not a huge fan of Soilwork, but this is probably my favorite cd by them, or maybe the one before it. Still love the melodicness of this album, and his vocals.

DWittisarockstar
December 4th 2007

I basically agree with all your points. This cd was alright. I really like Follow The Hollow though.

Chorus is fun.

ninjuice
December 4th 2007

Good review, but one minor thing is I think you should try and split up that paragraph after the lineup, just because it's so big.
I like the few songs I've heard from this band, but they're nothing that original just like you said. I'm somewhat of a sucker for metal bands that sing a lot so I need to check out an album.

December 4th 2007

I suggest Chainheart Machine or Stabbing The Drama or either Scar Symmetry album. They're both solid metal albums with sing/scream.

rasputin
December 4th 2007

I haven't ever listened to Soilwork, is this is a good place to start? Good review by the way, voted.

Crysis
December 4th 2007

Good review dude, I agree with the rating. This band is ok.

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III ? Saturnian Poetry

December 4th 2007

I suggest Stabbing The Drama and Chainheart Machine. Both are pretty good, better than this, also theres alot of hype around A Predator's Portrait as well. So any of those will do.

rasputin

ok, cheers.

Crysis
December 4th 2007

A Predator's Portrait is their best.

19443 Comments

I noticed a typo somewhere though.

and the riffs although hevay

Was that it?^^^ Heavy*
Great review, a little low on the score but I can't argue with a backed up opinion. Fantastic album, great riffs, great melodies, great singing. Probably my third favourite album by these guys.

1. Stabbing the Drama
6. Predators Portrait
7. Sworn to a Great Divide

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

December 5th 2007

Agree with 1 and 2 on your order. I used to like this album more, but just got old quickly. Still, theres alot of good tunes. Flameout, Bringer, Black Star Deciever, follow the hollow and song of the damned are all quality.

19443 Comments

Predator's Portrait became that way with me simply because alot of the songs start and end the same. At least there is some variation in the songs on this album. By the way, your reviews are getting alot better.

December 5th 2007

To think it all started with the Deadlock review, who knew i'd become a contributing reviewer. Yeah man, thanks for the appreciation. Actually, I still dont posses A Predators Portrait so I cant really judge that album yet although Shadowchild is a fantastic song.

19443 Comments

It is a solid album, just not their best by far as hyped everywhere. I guess people just don't like diversity or flavour in their music.

Aeksis8745
December 7th 2007

Although A Predators Portrait might not be their best ablum as a whole it still contains some of their best material like Needlefest, shadowchild, and Grand Failure Anthem which is probably my favorite off there.