Destruction
All Hell Breaks Loose

by SylentEcho USER (21 Reviews)
December 2nd, 2007 | 15 replies | 7,200 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The kind of album that makes you wanna punch an infant! Destruction are back with a vengeance!

With All Hell Breaks Loose, Destruction finally end a long period of mediocrity with their best album in about a decade.

Lineup:
Schmier - Bass, Vocals
Mike Sifringer - Guitar
Sven Vormann - Drums

At this point it had been 10 years since Schmier left the band, they were'nt doing well at all, in fact in the '90s Destruction were not signed to a major record label the band is one of the three big names of teutonic thrash metal; the others are Kreator and Sodom, till this point Destruction were forced to self-produce their albums, until they signed a contract with Nuclear Blast.

This album has been released in 2000, and it really defines how modern thrash should be. The production is really really good, It's much clearer and much more powerful than anything Destruction has had before, really evil and pissed off sounding. It's a pity that other bands that have been in this business as long as these guys still can't achieve that.

Well now, onto the album and the songs. This album has everything you'd expect from a killer thrash album...fast solos, aggressive vocals, insane riffing. The choruses sound fresh and intense, the vocals sounds very different, still raw and raspy, but now it sounds more lively and energetic than the previous albums Schmier was on. I prefer his new style of vocals compared to the old by far.

Some pretty catchy songs here too, The moment The Final Curtain starts you can see that the old style is back again, Mike's classic riff style is back, its got a really nice solo and one of the best thrash songs of the 90's in my opinion. Machinery Of Lies is another catchy song with an awesome main riff. You've got no choice!! is an all out beast of a track with a small break in between. Devestation of Your Soul is another solid track but the song that stands out most for me is The Butcher Strikes Back, you can tell that its made for the old fans of the band, pretty good lyrics referring to the reunion of the band and the return of the Mad Butcher.

The solos in the album aren't very memorable but the lead guitar playing is fantastic throughout. The Total Desaster re-recording and the Metallica cover Whiplash (bonus track) are also excellent. The only track that I don't much care for here is the ending track. I guess the only thing thats lacking here in this album is that there isn't much variety in the songs.

Pros:
Schmier sounds a lot better than he did before. His new style of singing is amazing.
Really good riffage throughout.
Drumming is good as usual.
Production is fantastic!

Cons:
Lack of much variety in the songs.
The album may drag on a bit because there are 12 songs.

Overall this album is very enjoyable from start to finish, an awesome comeback indeed for Destruction. It's pretty hard to believe that this album was made in 1999/2000 during the Nu-Metal/Rap Metal and early Metalcore period when Thrash was dead and the only band properly Thrashing were Sodom. Props to both these bands for playing what they believed in. This album compares really well with their older material and was worth the reunion unlike so many bands nowadays that reunite to make a piece of crap. So get this album for sure if you're a fan of old school brutal thrash.

Rating:
4.5/5

The Beatles The Beatles: Stereo USBDethklok Dethalbum II
Megadeth EndgameThe Offspring Splinter
Cirith Ungol King of the DeadNapalm Death Death by Manipulation

December 2nd 2007

Hrmm...I love Destruction, bout time I got this I guess.

Essence
December 2nd 2007

Why is the summary in the present tense when this album is 7, nearly 8, years old?

Wizard

19333 Comments

You could argue that Slayer was thrashing too at this time. Diabolus in Musica was the album they put out during that time period and I don't think it was really looked at as a thrash metal album though.
Excellent review, I will check this out if I come across it.

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

December 2nd 2007

well if you like it, then please vote ;)

"Diabolus in Musica" by Slayer when they were trying to keep up with the times, its wasn't thrash at all. During the Nu Metal period no matter how big a band was, if they played thrash, no one gave a crap about them.
Anyway check out the newer albums by Destruction too. This Message Edited On 12.02.07

December 2nd 2007

Inventor of Evil and Antichrist are awesome, with IoE being a top album of mine.

December 3rd 2007

Have you heard the new one Thrash Anthems? Thats pretty good as well. They re sang all their old songs in a new style.

ReturnToRock
December 4th 2007

bah...no way this is a 4,5. it's kinda meh in parts, but i like the butcher strikes back.

FR33L0RD
December 4th 2007

Good album

Dethtrasher
December 9th 2007

The kind of album that makes you wanna punch an infant!

Not cool, not cool at all.
I might check out this album. But I have been busy listening to Thrash Anthems since I bought it.

December 9th 2007

Hahahaha Robin, that line of "Makes you want to punch an infant" is from comedian Dane Cook

December 10th 2007

/\ haha yeah, now I remember where I heard that. :DThis Message Edited On 12.10.07

Dethtrasher
December 12th 2007

Never heard about him, anyway, it's still not cool.

December 12th 2007

Hahaha don't worry about it Robin, it was a stand-up comedy act. It was about sounds, something like there are sounds that are just horrible that make you just want to punch an infant. It's American humor Robin :lol:

Possessed
May 28th 2009

this album is simply devastating a must have for any thrash metal fan

linguist2011
February 19th 2014

Certainly one of the band's better albums of the last decade or so. The turn of the new millennium seemed to have a great effect on Destruction's sound, and because of how sharp the production is, the instrumental performance is made to sound fresh and renewed compared to the unfortunately shoddy outputs of the 90s. The first half of the album for me feels a bit stronger and more powerful than the latter, though it's only consistently brilliant and ear-shattering.

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden