A New Beat From A Dead Heart

by John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF
November 17th, 2007 | 31 replies | 8,936 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Remember those crazy-ass Krishna people you met at the bus station? Yeah, those guys can make a killer hardcore album.

I was around 7 years old when 108 released their “last” album, Threefold Misery. A lot has happened since 1996, both in the hardcore scene and out. It’s blown up in recent years, despite the fact that most of the old mainstays either crapped out or turned into lame nu-metal/hardcore bull***. Apparently, the world has also changed quite a bit, with consumerism and selfishness rising along with the election of one George W. Bush. So, what are 108 to do after they meet up for a reunion show and decide “Hey, we should make good music again”? Make easily their best record to date, A New Beat From a Dead Heart, after an 11 year layoff.

Being the quintessential Krishna-core band, its probably a good thing they have laid off the “You shall forever rot in hell for being a regular person” motif they had throughout their previous records and instead gone to a more general stance on things. Slightly more optimistic (not saying much), the message is as strong as ever with lyrics like “are you looking for a war to win or are you looking for change?” and “Sinful minds bring a handicapped existence so much for being free. So much for being me”.

Due in part to Kurt Ballou’s fantastic production, and general maturation of the band, 108 sound far more full and tight than ever before. Instead of being loosely tied together, the whole band is a cohesive unit, with the angular guitar riffs accentuated by a fantastic rhythm section that gives each song its own identity. A combination of early 90s hardcore and post hardcore, 108 generally deliver exciting songs filled to the brim with passion, ranging from the spoken word (“The Sad Truth”) to the building aggression of “We Walk Through Walls” (which starts off heavily Fugazi like, then meets the heavyness of Neurosis somewhere down the road) to the outright pissed off in “Angel Strike Man”.

A New Beat From a Dead Heart is an apt album title for 108. It’s the rebirth of 108, and its band just as angry as they ever were, but now know how to express themselves fully. It hasn’t sold out the religious roots and overtures they always used to have, but its also built upon and modernized those motifs tremendously, while making almost experimental hardcore to accompany it. Count it among the best records to be released this year perhaps, and make its addition to your collection a necessity.

Washboard Leo Thomas Louisiana BluegrassCrusades Perhaps You Deliver This Judgement...
Against Me! Transgender Dysphoria BluesLos Campesinos! No Blues
Arcade Fire ReflektorTouche Amore Is Survived By

November 17th 2007

Shipwreck review reminded me I've been meaning to do this for like 3 months for the random review game haha.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

plane
November 17th 2007

I really like the featured songs a lot. If the rest of the album is good I guess I'll get it.

Good review.

tuff
November 17th 2007

Songs of Separation is an awesome album. I need to get both this and Threefold Misery.

u have grammar errors

please proofread my reviews

edit: 4 srsThis Message Edited On 11.17.07

November 17th 2007

I thought the first one kind of worked in the context of it all but I'll change it I guess. Thanks.

SubtleDagger
November 17th 2007

Instead of being a loosely tied together,
missing a word
It’s the rebirth of 108, and its band just as angry as they ever were but now know how to express it fully.
needs to be reworded entirely

also review is really short and doesn't say much

the styx review needs proofreading too but I was more concerned with how annoying styx isThis Message Edited On 11.17.07

November 17th 2007

yeah I dont feel like babbling for 750 words and have it end up saying the same shit every other hardcore review inevitably does.
I also barely skim my reviews before I post them =/.

SubtleDagger
November 17th 2007

the shipwreck a.d. review is actually not much longer and is about ten times more descriptive

November 17th 2007

I would respond but theres no real point. Thanks for the help.

Let's Chop Cats!
November 18th 2007

Best song is Martyr Complex.

Zebra
November 18th 2007

I think that this is the perfect length for a review. I might even check this out since Kurt Ballou is the man.

November 18th 2007

Well I mean all he really does is produce it. Great job of course.

Confessed2005
November 18th 2007

Ballou is mega talented at a lot of things.

Yyy
November 18th 2007

i bet he isn't as good as ilu at sucking dick

Yyy

[right]oOoOooOooOOoooOoOoo![/right]

November 18th 2007

apparently im not good enough to fit in with the hardcore kids

santi3hg
November 20th 2007

I'm willing to bet Kurt may have helped in writing with some of the guitar in the record. >.>

Let's Chop Cats!
November 22nd 2007

Nah I doubt that. Vic is a machine, dude has played in a ton of bands and written a shit load of awesome songs.

santi3hg
November 22nd 2007

Vic is fucking insane, thats for sure and I mean in person. He is crazy.

br3ad_man
December 22nd 2007

Just checked out the songs on myspace and they're unreal. I'll order this once I get some more money.

Also Kurt is easily the least ugly member of Converge.