Shipwreck A.D.
Abyss

by Jared W. Dillon USER (118 Reviews)
November 17th, 2007 | 35 replies | 15,129 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Aggressive and bleak, Shipwreck's latest release proves that they are at the forefront of today's hardcore scene.

With “Abyss” Shipwreck A.D. has established themselves as one of the saving graces of hardcore today. Drawing equally from modern sounds and the mid-90s metallic hardcore sound, Shipwreck A.D. has been able to tap into an extremely heavy, dark sound that resonates in these current times of global unrest. While the members of Shipwreck may be aware of those outer issues their releases have so far dealt with those inner issues that haunt us all. Like that ridiculously boring Mastodon album “Blood Mountain”, Shipwreck’s “Abyss” deals with the conceptual journey of a man from the depths of a sea to the highest peaks of a mountain. Of course this “concept” is just metaphorical garble for vocalist J.D. to spew his own issues of hate and self immolation over. Accenting that hatred is a steady flow of some of the best hardcore guitar playing I have ever heard. Backing up the prominent guitar section is an extremely skilled rhythm section that clearly has a good hold on their instruments. The drumming on this album is a notable improvement in quality from the band’s two previous 7”. This could be solely in terms of the production upgrade, but some of the double bass rolls and drum fills on “Abyss” will just leave you with your mouth on the floor.

Notable tracks include “Samur” with its ominous acoustic intro that quietly paves the way for one of the albums most intense tracks. “Lotus” is a brutal dedication to those people who are willing to look inside of others rather than choosing their spouses solely on outside attributes. “Ascent” is a metaphorical allusion describing a stoic mountain that inside is a raging volcano, obviously a references towards the unleashed hate of the band. “Abyss” has clearly dipped deep into the anguish of its composers and in turn come out sounding intensely bleak. No gang vocals, no moments of happiness, even on the last track “Zenith”, when we think we are going to get some solace via the female vocals of Denise Serazzi, Shipwreck turns an otherwise beautiful vocal performance into an epic post-metal jaunt similar to Isis only much denser in delivery. It is an excellent closer and successfully caps the end of “Abyss” in an unexpected way. Perhaps that is where the strengths of “Abyss” rest, its unexpected nature of doing things. There are moments that this band sounds like early Modern Life is War (“Squall”), early Metallica (“Beached”) and even like 108’s most recent release (“Helix”). This is a beautifully diverse record and almost perfectly spaced out in terms of the track list, obviously in just a review I can not give this band enough credit.

The old saying with hardcore is that the releases either define a new sound or just copy an old one and clearly Shipwreck A.D. is trying to put themselves in that first group. By combining old and new hardcore influences with the current trends of post-metal and thrash they’ve created a rhythmically dynamic, melodically bleak testament to their aggression. In some ways this isn’t even hardcore anymore and better for it. “Abyss” is one of the most notable heavy albums of the year and if you have any interest in music that dwells in the realms of the pissed off this is the record for you.

Pygmy Lush Old FriendsPharoahe Monch W.A.R.
My Disco Little JoyBlack Milk Album Of The Year
Sun Kil Moon Admiral Fell PromisesFlying Lotus Cosmogramma

cbmartinez
November 17th 2007

Sounds interesting, never heard anything by this band.

pixiesfanyo
November 17th 2007

the two seven inches are way different. but they still rule.

plane

Yeah, this sounds cool.

November 17th 2007

The other Shipwreck ep's were awesome, so I'm looking forward to this a lot.

November 17th 2007

This does rule. Deff one of the better hardcore records of this year.

Intransit
November 17th 2007

I kinda want this. It doesn't sound anything like Madball or any of that shit does it?

Let's Chop Cats!
November 18th 2007

If they play Nereus live and you're not moving, then there is something wrong with your ears and should get them checked.

November 18th 2007

Okay yeah this is really good etc /follow trend

are you going to up the whole thing or whatThis Message Edited On 11.18.07

br3ad_man
November 18th 2007

I liked the songs on their myspace a lot.

IgniteYourAvail
November 18th 2007

Since when are they Shipwreck A.D.?

/me hasn't listened to this band/lurked the forums in forever

Fort23
November 18th 2007

I definitley want this alot after reading the review.

November 18th 2007

This is far from Madball. They changed their name because another band existed before them with the same name.

Deff good.

Yeah this is awesome stuff love this album.This Message Edited On 11.19.07

40 oz 2 freedom
November 19th 2007

Great record, can't wait to see it live

mikexindy
November 19th 2007

multiple parts of this review make me very mad.
willing to bet, besides the reviewer, most of you do not have this record or have heard the entire thing.

edit: wait why was i seriously respondingThis Message Edited On 11.19.07

mikexindy
November 19th 2007

because you gave circle takes the square a "classic" review and took the time to review a destiny's child greatest hits cd, a pokemon cd, and the rocky horror picture show soundtrack.

Yeah lol
opinions suck dude

IgniteYourAvail
November 20th 2007

mikexindy man, that co‪ck in your a‪ss is going to have to come out sooner or later.This Message Edited On 11.20.07

November 20th 2007

Yep mikexindy I have it this record so you win. Congrats.

ColdDamnation