Mark Lanegan
Bubblegum

by sunflower2020 USER (36 Reviews)
November 14th, 2007 | 23 replies | 9,017 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 21st century blues.

In 2002, Queens Of The Stone Age released their breakthrough record, their masterpiece "Songs For The Deaf". It is fascinating album, mix of wild and furious rock and roll songs, but some notes show awareness or fear of consequences, bad flashbacks. Mark Lanegan is responsible for many of these moments.

"Bubblegum", his first LP after "Songs For The Deaf" is a logical step further, because of its very low bass-sounds, mechanic-metallic guitar parts (Homme and Oliveri played on "Bubblegum"). "Bubblegum" is darker, more obsessed record, full of tragic stories, fu**ed up characters, laments of lost love, so you can't call it grunge, or stoner rock, but blues or even folk or country.

The most touching moments are his ballads, "Strange Religion", "Come To Me" and "Morning Glory Wine", not too far from Gram Parsons. Of course, there is a huge difference between Gram and Lanegan. Parsons is beautiful fallen angel, too weak to fight, but so emotional and charming to make you cry. Lanegan is hunted beast, lonely wolf, seriously wounded, but also survivor, ready to bite off his own leg if it is necessary. His presence and singing are intimidating and very convincing. Listen to intro of "Metamphetamine Blues", that horror movie laughing, and a couple of seconds after Lanegan cries out: "I don't want to leave this heaven so soon" making Amy Winehouse sound like a good little girl. He sounds so indestructible and strong, but also very devil-ish. Track six: "Will I get hit? I hardly care."

And although it is record full of various demons, Lanegan is strong enough to cope with them the best he can. It is almost a perfect record, with great sense of timing and editing so it is never indulgent. Well, the songs "Can't Come Down", "Head" and "Driving Death Valley Blues" (first one is too chaotic for its own good, other two sound like more of the same) should be put off the album, but it is only a minor aberration.

Although "Bubblegum" is credited to Mark Lanegan Band, there is no real band, but lot of friends and colleagues who helped him with making of this record. And they all made a good job, the playing is universally strong. So we can talk about his "real" band. And duets on "Bombed" and "Come To Me" suggested direction of his next project, "Ballad of The Broken Seas" with Isobel Campbell.

Faces Ooh La laThe Beach Boys The Beach Boys in Concert
Pete Townshend and Ronnie Lane Rough MixThe Beach Boys Carl and the Passions - "So Tough"
Roxy Music Roxy MusicRichard and Linda Thompson Shoot Out The Lights

AtavanHalen
November 14th 2007

Wow, man, fantastic review. I really like the descriptions; makes me wanna check this out heaps.
He reminds me a bit of Tom Waits, this guy.

sunflower2020
November 14th 2007

Yes, Mark Lanegan's voice is pretty Tom Waits-ish, due to cigs and alcohol. But Waits tells stories about various characters, lost boys, fallen angels, and Lanegan is one of them.

sunflower2020

BTW thanks for compliments.This Message Edited On 11.14.07

tomwaits4noman
December 11th 2007

up there with the best of Cave, Waits, Cohen, PJ Harvey

btw nothing like Queens of the Stone age.....

This is an amazing album the emotive and intimate diary of alcohol, heroin, dark corners of life.

porch
February 21st 2011

this is really good

Voivod
July 16th 2011

"Driving Death Valley Blues" is such a huge song...

Digging: Troldhaugen - Obzkure Anekdotez For Maniakal Massez

AirRaid
July 29th 2011

Strange Religion and When Your number isn't up are so haunting and I always find myself singing along.

Mark Lanegan creates one of the more depressing stories and I can't help but congratulate him.

Sciroccu
September 3rd 2012

sympathetic

November 14th 2012

Yeah, Mark Lanegan rules. My brother painted a stencil of him and got it signed by Mark after a concert a couple o' years back.

November 14th 2012

And we can be guaranteed Insurrection won't come in and gay up the thread because no doubt he's never heard of Mark Lanegan. But yeah, I defs dig Whiskey f/ Holy Ghost the most.

November 14th 2012

Tell them to jam Undertow and when they go "Huh, is that the Tool album????," punch them in the nuts.

Anyways, bro, would love to stay and chat, but I got work. Gonna jam some Lanegan on the walk there, have a good one, keep fighting the good fight

I'm back now

dsroka005
November 14th 2012

Mark Lanegan is one of my biggest inspirations.. i like his first release best

yeah good album

dsroka005

i'll answer that.. yes

November 15th 2012

sup potsy that vid def had gypsy swag. wehrmacht swag approved.

November 15th 2012

that'd be gypsy swag to the max but Idk if that's realistic

November 15th 2012

that's gonna be a lot of bitch fights to handle, man. you might wanna reconsider that.

November 15th 2012

still gon' be bitchfights.

November 15th 2012

Listen to Whiskey for the Holy Ghost, bro.