Ampere / Daitro
Split

by Ryan Flatley EMERITUS
November 13th, 2007 | 22 replies | 10,789 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Ampere and Daitro’s split can be summed up in two words: massive combo.

This past summer, I embarked on a visit to the other side of the country, specifically to northern and southern California. I figured that it would be the two best weeks of my summer, hands down. Unfortunately, when it came time, the realization set it that the timing was not so great. It was two weeks before the vacation when it became apparent that Ampere and Daitro were embarking on an East Coast tour, one of the dates a mere thirty minutes from my house, while I was in a mere 3,000 miles away. Going to that show? Not going to happen. Doing the math, I figured how often could a band an ocean away, with a decently small underground fan base, make the trip to the states for a few shows? Not often at all. Luckily, Ampere and Daitro left something in return.

What they left was brilliance contained in seven inches of plastic. The Ampere – Daitro split clocks in at just less than eight minutes and goes by almost too quickly, yet the music is hard to forget. Ampere’s portion contains two short emo/hardcore gems starting with “Escapism.” With a style reminiscent of Pg. 99 with ferociously sloppy and melodic guitars, “Escapism” paces as well as any one minute song. Ampere flawlessly incorporates appropriate dynamics to build and enhance an already intense mood. Coming from a political standpoint lyrically, they come close, but do not cross the boundary of cheesy anti-government themes. While bands like Anti-Flag bitch about tax return money, Ampere follow a different route. “Diffident Dissonance” is about how we are ‘fake’ towards our support for America, stating, ‘you’ve convinced yourself that you give a fuck / flag draped coffins and shotgun salutes to sterilize a noble life / your yellow ribbons don’t mean a fucking thing from your safe suburban home / but its ok, you’re not to blame.’ In addition, “Diffident Dissonance” retains a somewhat catchy approach to a somewhat brash, yet harmonious, style with a rather smooth bass-line keeping time with feverish drumming. On the other hand, Daitro has their own approach that is suitable for them.

Daitro’s portion, one song entitled “La Substance Et La Matiere,” is five minutes of something the Gods sent down. Five minutes of flowing emotion felt with each strum of the guitar and crackled scream. Crescendos and decrescendos used perfectly within “La Substance Et La Matiere” leaves little room for error structure-wise. It begins with a bold and powerful portion slowly digested into a slower, more hypnotic bridge. Beautiful guitar and bass harmonies back elegant spoken word, which is eventually intertwined into a more dramatic and heavy section. The drumming compliments the song perfectly with nothing flashy, or dull for that matter. The final words spoken, translated from French to English say the following, ‘our wealth is priceless, we're worth nothing / we have empty pockets but solid backs.’ Talk about the essence of a human soul speaking the truth like it should be told.

Looking back, California was not an inconvenience, but more of a self-realization that opportunities such as that do not come often in life. Ampere and Daitro’s music will be with me for a long time, whether I eventually see them at a show or not, and that is something I can hold onto. After all, a split like this is something that you do not want to let go.

Glassjaw Coloring BookNo Age Everything In Between
United Nations Nevermind the Bombings, Here's Your Six FiguresFar At Night We Live
Nas & Damian Marley Distant RelativesLCD Soundsystem This Is Happening

Iluvatar
November 13th 2007

The Daitro song here rules a lot. Solid Ampere side too.

DFelon204409

Good album.

br3ad_man
November 13th 2007

I prefer the Ampere's effort on this to Daitro's. Great release.

plane
November 13th 2007

Good review, awesome split. Daitro's half is so awesome but Ampere rules too.This Message Edited On 11.13.07

November 13th 2007

yes, indeed a great release.

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

November 13th 2007

As I've mentioned before, Daitro's song on here is one of the best emo/screamo songs in a while. Beautiful and epic. Ampere's performance is amazing like everything else they've done.

botb
November 13th 2007

I need to check this out.

Doppelganger

November 15th 2007

This split is mad good.

ZaaR
November 15th 2007

both bands are wicked, and this is an awesome split

DWittisarockstar
November 16th 2007

I need this, along with anything else by Ampere or Daitro. I can't find any.

xmattxhardcore
November 16th 2007

How do you upload an aviitar?

January 14th 2008

yeah so, this is three incredible songs that everyone needs.

January 15th 2008

srsly best emo song in a few years, so epic and beautiful

October 22nd 2008

I really need to see Ampere the next time they swing around here. "Escapism" and "Diffident Dissonance" are soooooooooo good.

lamy
May 20th 2010

Daïtro's "La Substance Et La Matiere" i think it's one of the best emo songs ever..*_____* i'd give it 10/5 at least

Ampere's "Diffident Dissonance" rules too

SinkToTheBeets
January 25th 2011

The Daitro song on here.......... sorry, had to change my pants.

January 25th 2011

its SO good

Enotron
February 16th 2011

this sing is so fucking good, oh my god ampere is the best

daitro song is brilliant too