Envy On The Coast

good

by John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF
November 11th, 2007 | 40 replies | 13,890 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Lucy Gray" is a fine first LP for these semi-vets new act.

Envy on the Coast are riding the latest trend of pop-punk/indie/post-hardcore bands that seem to continually rain down upon “the scene”. Embracing their roots, they don’t really experiment outside the bounds of this already heavily explored territory. While they don’t do anything new or exciting, they are a very tight unit who writes decent songs, even if that may decline as Lucy Gray progresses.

Singer Ryan Hunter is the most effective member of the group, having a higher pitched but not screeching voice, that far from being weak is actually well developed and a handy strength. He sings with a good deal of passion but knows exactly when to restrain himself, never getting too ahead of himself or sacrificing musicality for showmanship. He is comparable to Daryl Palumbo, except minus all the superfluous vocal acrobatics, combined with Anthony Green. Obviously every scene kids dream!

The band takes more than a few tricks out of the book At the Drive-In wrote for indie/post-hardcore bands, with two guitarists playing off each other often, with the drums and bass serving as solid backbones with enough chances to contribute a nice fill. The lead guitar lines are often great, resembling Circa Survive’s more than anything. They don’t truly experiment, but there is hardly a hiccup on the entire album, and they are never explicitly boring when the whole band is in.

Where the album really struggles is the songwriting department. There is a clear and steady drop-off in song depth and quality throughout the album. “Sugar Skulls” through “The Gift of Paralysis” are excellent poppy post-hardcore songs, and are varied enough to keep the listener interested. Going through the rest of the album though, you’d be hardpressed to find more standout songs. “Vultures” is good, and “The Breathing…” is interesting to a degree, but the songs steadily get less gripping and enjoyable, and slip into genre fare for fans.

Lucy Gray is a mostly unremarkable record from a band with a modicum of talent. Anyone into the music scene that FUSE seems to strongly promote will likely eat this album up, and it ha its charms. It never gets exactly bad, and there is a good bit more here to like rather than dislike, but Envy on the Coast probably put 15 minutes too much in this nearly 50 minute disc. A solid debut LP for a band that hopefully embraces different ideas in the future.

Say Anything HebrewsWashboard Leo Thomas Louisiana Bluegrass
Crusades Perhaps You Deliver This Judgement...Against Me! Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Los Campesinos! No BluesArcade Fire Reflektor

Lowcountry
recommended by reviewer
Circa Survive Juturna

Short vague review yadda yadda.This Message Edited On 11.11.07

plane
November 11th 2007

Short and concise, and I still know how it sounds!

What I've heard from this is really bad though so I probably won't check out the whole thing.

November 11th 2007

A lot of people over at Absolute Punk go crazy for these guys. Can't say I've listened or am interested in listening.

November 11th 2007

They're turning into a major buzz band. If all the songs were as interesting to me as "Sugar Skulls" I'd buy it but eh.

November 11th 2007

All I know is the come up in searches too much when I'm looking for Envy.

November 11th 2007

I have friends who think they are the same band.
Yeah. Exactly.

November 11th 2007

I have a friend who called Radiohead a poor mans Muse.

November 12th 2007

Does no one on sputnik honestly listen to Envy on the Coast?
Where are all the anti=hype people.

The Jungler
November 12th 2007

I tried to review this a while back and couldn't get through it. The singer sounds like a worse version of Daryl Palumbo. Sugar Skulls is alright though.

November 12th 2007

Yeah he does sound like a worse Daryl but I mean he still isn't a bad singer at all.
Especially consider who you would compare him too besides the great DP.

Intransit
November 14th 2007

Daryl Parties hard. This Message Edited On 11.14.07

francesfarmer
November 14th 2007

Yeah he is a good singer. My lil' sister listens to this band all the time.

Riley12988
January 14th 2008

Actually a really good effort. The first half is solid, second half bores me. Serious potential in the vocals and songwriting, though

friendsdontletfriend
February 27th 2008

Really not too bad. Personally like "starving your friends"

Bleak123
December 15th 2008

1902 Comments

yeah this is pretty good

wreaktangle
January 14th 2009

not bad
but i've heard better...like their ep
i'm sure that they'll get better.
i hope cause i have like three of their shirts.

xmOBSCENEx
January 15th 2009

very good but when do they plan on releasing again?

TheNewWhack
July 5th 2009

I just re-listened to this album... This might be a new guilty pleasure.

TheNewWhack
July 5th 2009

On a side note, Daryl Palumbo is the shit.

October 30th 2009

listen to it its really good