Michael Jackson
Thriller

by Tomahawk USER (3 Reviews)
January 16th, 2005 | 51 replies | 9,172 views

Release Date: 1982 | Tracklist

#20 on the Rolling Stone top 500 albums list.

"Thriller" was pretty much the high point of Michael Jackson's career. This was released back in 1982, when MJ was a talented black man, not a scary white man. It's the highest selling album of all time, with over 40 million sold. Seven out of the nine tracks on the CD were released as singles, and they ALL reached the top 10, which is just insane. Other than the obvious disco-ness of the album, it's aged pretty well - the songs are as catchy now as they were back then.

1) Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
A good start to the album, which gives a good feel of what the rest of the album will be like. It's funky, with drum machines keeping the beat. It also has a weird paranoid feeling, which is apparent in many of the other songs on the album too. One of the highlights of this album.

2) Baby Be Mine
I believe this was one of the 2 songs that weren't released as singles, and I can see why. It's filler, and I get bored long before it's finished. The chorus is kind of catchy, but that's just not enough dammit!

3) The Girl Is Mine
MJ's duet with Paul McCartney. The meeting of 2 legends of pop music. And it's reeealy cheesy. I mean, come on, "the dog-gone girl is mine"? And the spoken part at the end, my god. But it's kind of entertaining because of the cheesiness.

4) Thriller
The title track is also kind of cheesy, but in a good way, and mostly on purpose. It's like the musical version of a b-grade horror movie, and it's very funky and fun. The bass line is cool, and a bit reminiscent of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition". I should also mention the famous video for thriller, an epic (by music video standards) featuring dancing zombies and werewolf Michael.

5) Beat It
Everyone's heard this. Everyone. One of MJ's rockinest songs, with an anti-violence message. The rock factor is definitely helped by a memorable solo from guitar god Eddie Van Halen, who appeared on this track for free, because he was so honoured or something. Great song.

6) Billie Jean
Hey, everyone's heard this one too. A song about a woman claiming that he's the father of her child, but he's not. She's just a girl who says that he is the one. This song has the paranoia pumped up high. And it's one of the best pop songs of all time. Also, it was the first video by a black artist to get regular airplay on MTV.

7) Human Nature
A nice slow song. The best slow song on the album too. I don't really have a lot to say about it, other than it's a good song.

8) P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
Of the 7 songs that were released as singles from this CD, this is the weakest. Well, “The Girl is Mine�? was crap, but at least that had Paul McCartney going for it. This has no particularly good hooks, and a weird chipmunk singing at the end, which is annoying. Very mediocre.

9) The Lady In My Life
A love song. I believe this was the other song that wasn't released as a single, and again, there's a good reason. It's better than the other non-single, but it's pretty boring, and the lyrics are really standard. Weak closer to a strong album.

It's a classic album of course, but there are too many weak tracks for it to be perfect. Based on the music alone I'd give it a 4/5... but then, it is still an essential album, just based on the sheer popularity and influence of it. So... 4.3/5

4.3
Brendan Schroer STAFF (4.5)
Almost flawless, Thriller is a testament to how well pop music can really be done....

Dylan S. (5)
A pop album that will be remembered even years from now, almost three decades after its release in 1...

Tyler Fisher EMERITUS (4)
There's no denying the fun and catchiness of Thriller. Michael Jackson, despite his morals, was a f...

LordDargon
March 23rd 2004

Whoa. That picture is ghey. Always thought MJ was straight until he turned white... :confused:

Dimes Make Dollars
March 23rd 2004

It wouldn't be "ghey" if it was a woman in that same pose... obviously he appeals to women in the same way current female pop stars appeal to men.

br3ad_man
March 24th 2004

^^ Indeed. I love this album, it's just so fun.

manuscriptreplica
March 24th 2004

my god that picture is scary!

this is the 3rd best seller ever (i believe) the eagles' greatest hits is first.

LordDargon
March 25th 2004

They don't appeal to me :angry:

... well ok maybe they do

Britney is hot :naughty:

GooseFilms.net
May 6th 2004

pedophiles are weird

YDload
May 6th 2004

This album is why Michael Jackson can't destroy his legacy, even if he tries (and he does). Great singing, great dancing (in the videos, fool!), and importantly to me: great basslines!

br3ad_man
May 7th 2004

^^^^ haha, he's still the man, no matter what anyone says.

pixiesfanyo
May 24th 2004

I'd give it more than a 3.5 though..

Jet Black Stare
August 13th 2004

Ya...it is the second biggest selling album it was number one until the Eagles beat it out

Tapeworm
August 13th 2004

I've always preferred "Dangerous" to this. A good album though.

twistinside
August 13th 2004

michael jackson has always been innocent

Mozzletoffed
August 13th 2004

[QUOTE=twistinside]michael jackson has always been innocent[/QUOTE]

correct, the stupid media made all these kiddies believe what everyone says.

manoulos

i'd give it a 4.8

Tomahawk
November 1st 2004

I was listening to this today, and I'm upgrading my rating to a 4/5

And re-reading it, this wasn't a very good review. Shame on me.

Babbelibopp
November 26th 2004

Great album. True pop and joy.

livinfoRHCP
November 26th 2004

hells yea my sister got that cd like a month ago its boss-ome.
straightup crazy goose whatever

Babbelibopp
January 15th 2005

This review is an insult to mankind. Seriously. 3.5/5, freaking insane.

Tomahawk
January 15th 2005

Yeah, this was a while ago... I upgraded the rating.

My opinion of the album has changed, but I'm not gonna give it any better than a that. It is a bad review though, I'll agree with that.