Killswitch Engage
Killswitch Engage: Remastered

by wakeupdead USER (15 Reviews)
November 1st, 2007 | 11 replies | 8,068 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Killswitch Engage is a metalcore band straight outta Massachussets USA. Their self titled debut album is full of raw power that will please most metal fans, and some of the most aggressive music known to mankind is right here. Although there is not much variety on this particular Killswitch Engage album, it makes for a great album that is in every way.... heavy metal.

While rushing home to listen home to my new Killswitch Engage album, I was wondering if it would sound anything like As Daylight Dies (my first KsE album). Well.... it's definetly heavy, that's for damn sure. But, there is a lot less actual singing on this album compared to anything the band has done with current vocalist, Howard Jones. On this particular CD, the lead vocalist is Jesse James Leach, and he is a fantastic performer. He focuses more on the screaming rather than the singing element, but the record can do without it. Jesse's screams are full of emotion, and sound extremely powerful. Check out songs like Temple From The Within, Vide Infra, and Soilborn for an extremely brutal and powerful attack of screaming and amazing instrumentation.

The guitar work is fantastic. Simply put. Guitarist Joel Stroetzel is a very skilled, and is one of the most underrated guitarists of the metalcore genre. The band wouldn't be the same without him, simply because of his tone and talented riff writing skills. The guitars are very heavy, but yet passionate. Joel can take a very simple guitar song and turn it into so much more (check out the instrumental Prelude for an example of this). The other instrumental song, One Last Sunset, proves the amazingly flawless and inspiring musicianship that these people truly have. While very different than the rest of the album (being rather mellow and all), it's one of the best songs Killswitch ever released. In the end, I really don't think the band would have gotten signed without him.

Now as for the Bass Guitar..... kind of average. Mike D'Antonio doesn't play anything too too speacial, but it does tie the guitar and the rest of the band together. The bass sound is quite mighty on this album (ever been to a live metal gig, and standing right in front of the speakers?). He has a little sort of breakdown thing on Temple From The Within that I thought was pretty cool, that helps him stand out from the rest of the band.

The drums are fabulous... the constant use of the double kick pedal impresses me greatly. I can't imagine myself playing the drums like that without having to stop from exhaustion. The pounding speed of the bass drums are almost as if they had a motorcycle engine running during the recording of the record (a bit of an exaggeration, but I hope you get the point). Adam Ductkiewicz is truly one of the most talented drummers/percussionists out there... it's a shame he later switched to guitar. (not that I'm saying he is a sh*tty guitarist or anything...)

The lyrics are genius.... it seems like Jesse can pull inspiration out of thin air and put it on paper.Take this for example from the song Vide Infra:

[i]"No one is placed higher than one another, no matter what race or creed or gender.
We must teach forgiveness and compassion for all life."

A final note about the album... If you Have heard and really liked the Killswitch Engage with Howard Jones, it may take a little longer for you to get into this album. However, if your a big fan of heavy guitars and drums, pick this album up ASAP. If you don't like screamo/metalcore, then stay away from this album.

RECOMMENDED TRACKS
Temple From The Within
Vide Infra
Irreversal
One Last Sunset

AC/DC Flick of the SwitchRush 2112
Slayer Hell AwaitsFinger Eleven Them vs. You vs. Me
Triumph ClassicsAC/DC High Voltage (International)
Thompson D. Gerhart STAFF (2)
A decent to good album if you're a fan of Jesse Leach "singing" poorly. Otherwise, new listeners and...

vlad123dracula (5)

wakeupdead
November 1st 2007

first review since March I didn't like this album at first, but it grew on me a lot.

November 1st 2007

Great review. Though I would've suggested In The Unblind as one of the highlights. I love this album.

LifeInABox
November 1st 2007

In The Unblind is the best song on the album.

blackened07
November 1st 2007

This cd is great I guess I should get this version.

/h5 to Hbp

Willie
November 1st 2007

I'm the opposite... I heard and loved Killswitch Engage with Jesse on the Alive or Just Breathing album, and have had a hard time getting into them with Howard Jones; in fact I still don't reallly like their last two albums.This Message Edited On 11.01.07

Digging: Nero Di Marte - Derivae

November 2nd 2007

The End Of Heartache is really good, imo.
Take This Oath is an awesome song, because the mix of Howard and Jesse's vocals is epic.This Message Edited On 11.01.07

wakeupdead
November 3rd 2007

ya i heard Jesse helped on Take This Oath as an apology for leaving the band or something. Awesome tune..... I prefer Howard Jones over Jesse Leach though.

gasmaskman
November 3rd 2007

Howard is definitely harder for me because I was always into Jesse on AOJB, which is amazing. I definitely have to pick this up.

fXpT
February 8th 2008

Ya gotta say Jesse really was awesome on Alive Or Just Breathing, but i can that Howard isn't that bad either

Relinquished
October 19th 2008

I like both Howard and Jesse, but I rather listen to Jesse's songs since they're heavier. I guess it's a matter of opinion in the end.This Message Edited On 11.28.08