Say Anything
In Defense of the Genre

by Against Miik! USER (6 Reviews)
October 23rd, 2007 | 25 replies | 3,897 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Say Anythings latest release shows what pop punk should and can be, that is, all out aggression with a little fun thrown in there.

I would first like to say that John did a very good, in depth review on this album, but it was a little long, so i'm gonna try and clean things up a bit. The album, while long, can definitely be summed up in a reasonably sized review. There will be no mention of individual songs, but, rather ironically as you will see, I will discuss the album as a whole.

Now to it.

So there's those albums that you have to listen to, first track till the last, straight through, to truly get what the artist is trying to say, musically. The album tells a story, is supposed to evoke a roller coaster of emotions. Circle Takes The Square's "As The Roots Undo" comes to mind. So imagine those. Now think of the exact opposite. Thats what Say Anything's new album "In Defense Of The Genre" is.

What we are looking at is 27 stellar tracks that each take you on their own musical journey throughout, as only Say Anything can do. Coming in at around 90 minutes, the average time for a full length feature film, it is no way like watching a movie, but rather a compilation of short films that are all related, but have their own unique story to tell.

This isn't a knock on the album at all. It is one of the few times I would describe a good album this way. This album, like ...Is/Was A Real Boy, is a peak at the deranged mind that is Max Bemis. Track after track of intricate metaphor is an ode or rant about broken or sprouting relationships and a knock at the establishment. It is a bible for the broken hearted, for the pissed off youth of the world, who still like to have a good time. That is, after all, what pop punk is supposed to be, and nobody does it better than Bemis.

What really carries the album, and makes it more than your average pop punk album, is the always original voice of Bemis. While he may at times seem to be whining, it in no way comes off the way it does with most, due to the rehearsed aggression that he shouts out. This tone serves to the dichotomy that is Say Anything, that is, full out anger, as well the pour your heart out love songs. That is why I love Say Anything. Bemis will rock you down to your bones. You can feel the aggression, but you still come away with a smile on your face.

And lets not leave out, besides vocals, what makes Say Anything anything but your average pop punk band. While the album is certainly very listener friendly, you will not be bombarded by a 3 chorded army. Bemis uses some of the most interesting phrasings since Jeff Buckley, and is certainly miles ahead of his peers. While the music may not stand out by itself, like Buckley, it compliments the vocals perfectly. At times on the verge of schizophrenia, Bemis brings us everything from your classic pop punk tunes, to pounding choruses that make you want to break something, to up beat show tune-esque anthems. The album only benefits from this fit. Like Forrest Gump said, you never know what your gonna get.

Will this album be talked about 30 years from now, like the Led Zeppelin's and Elvis's of the world? Probably not. But within the genre of pop punk, it is surely a classic, and a beacon of hope. It shows the true potential of the genre, a genre that has always been slighted by the music elite.

Six Gallery Breakthroughs in Modern ArtLa Rocca The Truth
Jimmy Eat World Chase This LightJoshua Radin We Were Here
The Format Interventions and Lullabies

October 23rd 2007

Ha. That ended up being longer than I wanted it to, even after my comments at the top. O well, I'd still like to throw my two cents in since I really love these guys.

October 23rd 2007

Its impossible to discuss this album in a relatively short space. I like to keep my reviews 500-700 words and it was just so hard I scrapped it and wrote a 1700 word review haha.
But solid effort, this album is just something else.

clairvoyant
October 23rd 2007

i like your buildup and where you were going with the depiction of the album in general. but i feel like after reading that, i don't really know what the album sounds like. you got the vocals, but all i know about the music is that is pop punk and uses interesting phrases...

the only issue is that one paragraph about the music, everything before it was great

October 23rd 2007

Well then perhaps I will try to elaborate. Thx for ze feedback.

UncalledFor

This sounds awesome.

Fort23
October 23rd 2007

Albums fucking great. The fact that they made an album probably as good as ...Is a Real Boy is beyond me. Review can be longer, but solid work.

October 23rd 2007

actually it is really not unbelievable that this is better than is a real boy. is a real boy had like four awful songs on it.

descendents1

which ones?

okay three

October 23rd 2007

Chia-Like had a great first two minutes and Orgy of Critics had a great last two minutes.
Slowly was pretty good too tbh.

October 23rd 2007

no you are just an idiot

south_of_heaven 11
October 23rd 2007

Aren't these guys on that Myspace tour or am I thinking of another band?

October 23rd 2007

Yeah they are on the myspace tour.

south_of_heaven 11
October 23rd 2007

Alright, thought I saw their name posted on flyers around campus...
Continue on conversing.

CushMG15
October 23rd 2007

I agree with Iluv on Orgy of Critics. But I secretly like it the whole way through. Secretly.

JumpTheF**kUp
October 24th 2007

This isn't as good as ...Is A Real Boy in my opinion.

But I'm a squirrel, so what would I know.

edit:

Grammar's the only thing that's really wrong with this review.This Message Edited On 10.24.07

fix'd

Fort23

Slowly Through A Vector, Orgy Of Critics, Chia-Like I Shall Grow

Orgy of crtitics is like pretty good actually.and chia like i shall grow isn't realy that bad, especially the intro.

skatemullen14

Slowly Through A Vector, Orgy Of Critics, Chia-Like I Shall Grow

IMO Slowly Through A Vector was the only awful song. And this album has NO awful songs.. which surprised me. say anything usually seems to have those songs that just don't come out right. awesome album.This Message Edited On 10.24.07

IsItLuck?
October 24th 2007

slay the heathen that rated this a 3!!!